Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some new strings with about 250 arrows on them. Tonight while shooting I noticed a new fray start a couple inches above the peep. There seems to be strands that are cut and frayed back towards the peep. The fray was only 3/16" long when I first noticed it. I pulled on it lightly and 1/2" pulled out. What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Shootingairborne
10,599 Posts
Did the lighter get to close when burning off the peep serving?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

·
Registered
24,094 Posts
With the amount of energy that a modern compound holds at rest and releases during the shot.....that would make me nervous. If the cables are fine, it appears something happened to the string in that spot which would warrant fairly immediate attention. If it lets go in the case or worse....on the shot....your bow will likely be damaged much more costly that the price of replacing just the string. If those are custom strings, I would get with the builder and request another string.....at your cost because it doesn't seem to be a building issue.....ASAP.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the amount of energy that a modern compound holds at rest and releases during the shot.....that would make me nervous. If the cables are fine, it appears something happened to the string in that spot which would warrant fairly immediate attention. If it lets go in the case or worse....on the shot....your bow will likely be damaged much more costly that the price of replacing just the string. If those are custom strings, I would get with the builder and request another string.....at your cost because it doesn't seem to be a building issue.....ASAP.
That's what I'll be doing. Thanks

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
I've got some new strings with about 250 arrows on them. Tonight while shooting I noticed a new fray start a couple inches above the peep. There seems to be strands that are cut and frayed back towards the peep. The fray was only 3/16" long when I first noticed it. I pulled on it lightly and 1/2" pulled out. What do you guys think?
Probably damage done when that serving at the "Y" was put on. For that and other reasons I never serve my "Y"'s, I only tie the peep in with a constrictor knot and some half hitches at the peep itself. If I do that with too much brutality and I've done that accidentally, I can get damage like you see here, so it takes practice to get it in tight but not too tight.

So I agree with the other guys - I'd start looking at getting a replacement string and have the serving put on with less violence (or not at all on the "Y"s)....

lee.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably damage done when that serving at the "Y" was put on. For that and other reasons I never serve my "Y"'s, I only tie the peep in with a constrictor knot and some half hitches at the peep itself. If I do that with too much brutality and I've done that accidentally, I can get damage like you see here, so it takes practice to get it in tight but not too tight.

So I agree with the other guys - I'd start looking at getting a replacement string and have the serving put on with less violence (or not at all on the "Y"s)....

lee.
It seems like a cut, about 2" away from the serving. Anyhow, do you have picture you can share of your peep setup?

·
Registered
15,106 Posts
I'd guess the back serve was pulled through too quickly/violently, resulting in a burned strand.
I don't like the abrasive type serving for peeps.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
It seems like a cut, about 2" away from the serving. Anyhow, do you have picture you can share of your peep setup?
The reason I recognize this is I've done it. Er, more than once... er, many more times than once :). It's almost certainly the lighter brushed the string material accidentally or the serving was dragged over the string too hard and sawed through a few of the small strands.

When I stopped serving my Y's, all that went away.

Another thing to not do is use dyneema/spectra serving to tie in the peep. The knots have to be tighter than usual to keep the peep in place, and serving material is way too strong and abrasive. So you want a less strong material scraping its way over the string strands. Nylon thread is a good option here, like the BCY nock/peep thread. It;s dirt cheap and doesn't tear up your string material. Other options are dental floss and/or just general nylon thread from the store, etc. It doesn't have to be super strong, only the knots just have to stay tight...

lee.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The reason I recognize this is I've done it. Er, more than once... er, many more times than once
. It's almost certainly the lighter brushed the string material accidentally or the serving was dragged over the string too hard and sawed through a few of the small strands.

When I stopped serving my Y's, all that went away.

Another thing to not do is use dyneema/spectra serving to tie in the peep. The knots have to be tighter than usual to keep the peep in place, and serving material is way too strong and abrasive. So you want a less strong material scraping its way over the string strands. Nylon thread is a good option here, like the BCY nock/peep thread. It;s dirt cheap and doesn't tear up your string material. Other options are dental floss and/or just general nylon thread from the store, etc. It doesn't have to be super strong, only the knots just have to stay tight...

lee.
Here's a better picture where the strands separated. It's pretty far from where the tech served it.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
had to of been nicked or something either from you or the guy that tied on your peep. if he tied the serving down where the string in cut and then slid it up using some d loop material he is the one that probably nicked it. if he did not im guessing you might of hit it on something. does not take much to cut a few strands. but anything is really possible supposes. I would look into getting it replaced as you just said you were.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Here's a better picture where the strands separated. It's pretty far from where the tech served it.
Oh I see now - that's up the string rather than down where I thought. Still, don't serve those Y's regardless :). But yes that looks just plain cut by accident. Probably a tool or belt buckle or something scraped on the string during setup or afterwards, maybe something got on it in the bowcase? I've done that too.

I'd replace it. It won't break in the next 10 arrows or anything, but I'd put a new one on when next it's convenient to...

lee.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
One other possibility is that the string material was defective and with the wax on the strand no one noticed the problem. I have seen my own material have a problem and I have heard of others having this to happen to them.

I shoot 50 lb bows and have started using Fury so I could loose a complete strand and still have a safe string.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I've had strings do this for whatever reasons and I just burned the frays flush to the string so it wouldn't keep on going and called it good. I'm real OCD, but there wasn't any way in Hell I was gonna replace the string in the middle of hunting season!!!!
I've shot them like that for a long time and everything was fine but it's whatever makes you feel comfortable. Oh, if you burn it be fast and put out the burn just as it reaches the string and then wax it good in that area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've had strings do this for whatever reasons and I just burned the frays flush to the string so it wouldn't keep on going and called it good. I'm real OCD, but there wasn't any way in Hell I was gonna replace the string in the middle of hunting season!!!!
I've shot them like that for a long time and everything was fine but it's whatever makes you feel comfortable. Oh, if you burn it be fast and put out the burn just as it reaches the string and then wax it good in that area.
Be prepared to here some backlash from people calling you stupid or something lol. But just for the record I would of done the same thing ha.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
That 100% looks like when they cut the serving, they nicked the string with the blade. As far as serving the peep, I have never saw a serving tag end pulled through fast enough to ‘burn” string strands. I’ve used every type of serving made when building my strings and cables for the past 25+ years to serve peeps. That didn’t happen by the serving. That is human error. It sucks, but I would change that string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I spoke with my shop about it this morning. They are insisting to let them change the string at no cost. The string builder said he wanted to warranty the string as well. I'm not really comfortable with it because I dont think it was the string makers fault. But they insist to let them change it free so I'll have a new string on it in a week or two.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts