Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the new project for the next few months. I need to replace the stock on my Bowtech Strykeforce as the screw at the end of the stock is 1/4 inch from the end and causes the end to break off. This is the second stock I have put on this bow. So this time I am going to make one from either "A grade" birds eye maple or burled walnut. Before anyone makes note of it, I realize this will add a good amount of weight to the rear of the bow. But my question to the group is what style do you see it in. A copy of the original stock or something else?

strykeforce.gif

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
That should be a pretty cool project to do, good luck with it. It doesn't really matter about the added weight because its your bow and you know about the added weight. I wouldn't be concerned about it. I just think its good that you are willing to try it. Remember to post pics throughout the process.

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
This crossbow is a darn good one:) I sold mine a while back and the fellow I sold it to said it's still going strong.

I have an American walnut rifle stock blank that would be cool looking on a hunting crossbow. If you want it I will send it to you (free) if you pay for USPS shipping. If you want pm me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This crossbow is a darn good one:) I sold mine a while back and the fellow I sold it to said it's still going strong.

I have an American walnut rifle stock blank that would be cool looking on a hunting crossbow. If you want it I will send it to you (free) if you pay for USPS shipping. If you want pm me.
I appreciate the offer but I think I am going to use some burled walnut from the old hunting property that I have been drying for the past 3 years. :)

·
Registered
1,840 Posts

That's a pretty good offer, it should make for a nice custom set-up.

·
Registered
313 Posts
yea please post pictures of the burl stock. I have and deal with a lot of burl wood. not skilled enough to try a stock though. In case your not to familiar with burl wood just watch out for voids in the wood they appear out of no where. Iv had a few break and or explode on lathes shaving the wood and cut into a cavity that was full of dirt and bark material it just shattered. so please post some pics good luck

·
Registered
905 Posts
In my opinion burl wood is not a choice for the job at hand. Not strong enough,to many variables and voids. Suited mostly for bowls and such. If your looking for something ,one of a kind, check out roots of the tree you have in mind. Perfect stock wood, if dryed right. AND absolutely beautiful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts