Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see in several posts that archers buying a new bow the first thing they do is have a new string and cables put on the bow. Seems this is on some top of the line bows, WHy do this ? are you telling me that after paying $800 bucks for a new bow that the mfg strings and cables are XXXX ( no good ).

If I am paying top dollar like buying a car, truck I sure would no take the tires
off to replace with a different brand....

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
I see in several posts that archers buying a new bow the first thing they do is have a new string and cables put on the bow. Seems this is on some top of the line bows, WHy do this ? are you telling me that after paying $800 bucks for a new bow that the mfg strings and cables are XXXX ( no good ).
If I am paying top dollar like buying a car, truck I sure would no take the tires
Pretty much. Some are better then others, and some have gotten a lot better over the past few years, but they're still not up to snuff with a good quality set of custom strings. The best factory strings out there right now are probably Bow Tech.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
JBK bowstrings , $55 dollars a set , zero creep, zero peep rotation,, Give Jeff a call 207-212-1421! You will be glad you did!

·
Registered
257 Posts
When I got my new Monster 7 I decided to stick with the stock strings, but after 300-400 shots the servings on the string and cables had seperated so badly that I had to replace them:pukey:. I bought a set of Vapor Trail and have had zero problems:D
SN

·
edthearcher
6,509 Posts

but there are a lot of people who change tires on a new vehicle
strings on bows i will mention hoyt because i have worked on a lot of them.
have been improved greatly in the last 3 years
do you need to run out and buy new strings on a new bow the answer is no
now there are a lot of spot shooters who get a new bow and by there choice have custom strings installed right away
most bow companys are making better quality strings now, they have listened to all the complaints

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
I'll use the stock strings till they give me a problem, be it in 100 shots, or in a 1000.
My Parker has the stock strings on it still, as has the AlienX.
The new Alien on the way has a custom set on it as that was part of the deal.
The stock strings are in the the box though, just in case I need an emergency set at some time.

Kev

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
I have just purchased 2 new hoyts.

I removed the Contender Elite strings after 2 shots, yes 2 shots, simply because I hade made some colour matched strings for the bow. The bow felt less "twangy" with my strings.

For the new Hoyt 737 I got I stuck with the stock strings for 10 days before replacing them with self made strings. The bow is quieter and has less vibration after the shot with my strings.

Stock strings can be good or bad, I don't know how well they were made so I changed mine for some that I know were very well made.

My tyre centre has also changed tyres on a new car as the driver prefers a certain brand.

·
Registered
I don’t hunt for the sport I hunt for the meat
25,390 Posts
I got the maxxis and my factory string stretched 3/8 of a inch where my vapor trails stretch and I cant tell a difference in draw length

·
Best in the World
3,866 Posts
people buy brand new cars and then head straight to a rim shop to put on shiny new rims, its the same concept, i've got the stock on my xpb for now, figuring around mid summer I'll need a new set....

·
Im a Father and Bowhunter
6,004 Posts
Well i know a few companys use custom strings,Athens ,New Breed to name a few..My Athens has custom strings from the factory :smile:. I do agree if you drop more then $600 on a bow it should have decent strings on it...

·
Registered
272 Posts
The Scorpion strings that came on my DP3800 are nice. The factory strings that came on my Z7 are doing good (just good not great) but they too should make it a year I would think.

However, I bought some Vapor Trail strings for my AM32 (before I sold it) and those strings were simply awesome. I would swap out my Z7 strings in a heart beat but I am not touching the DP3800 strings -- so I can see how some people feel the need to immediately swap out strings.

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
If you buy a car for a daily driver I doubt you change the tires. If you buy a car to race around and get the best handling I bet you do.

If you buy a bow just to plink here and there the factory strings are fine. If you want the most performance out of your bow then you upgrade the strings. That is usually the first thing I do as well when I get a new bow.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
If you buy a car for a daily driver I doubt you change the tires. If you buy a car to race around and get the best handling I bet you do.

If you buy a bow just to plink here and there the factory strings are fine. If you want the most performance out of your bow then you upgrade the strings. That is usually the first thing I do as well when I get a new bow.

yup, i replace the factory string with 60X strings on all my bows apart from my bowtechs. The bowtech string is really hard to beat.

i gained some serious speed with a 60X string on my XLR8

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
JBK bowstrings , $55 dollars a set , zero creep, zero peep rotation,, Give Jeff a call 207-212-1421! You will be glad you did!
Best set of strings you can get and you get a warrentee!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts