Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm w/ Gas strings. Fuse Ultra-Rest, AXT RAK4000, 365 bars, RIP TKOs w/ 100g Rage Hypo N/C
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm just about finished building my first bowstring jig and have some ?s about string material. I know I'm gonna want to practice building a set or two before even attempting anything that would even consider installing on a bow. My question is what is a good quality yet economical string and serving material to practice with but that I could still put on a compound bow if I felt comfortable with the end product. And possibly any pointers on serving size.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
54 Posts

I'm pretty new to string making. BCY 452x for me. If you want to go cheap for starters, just get 1 spool and do single color strings. There's enough on 1 spool for several strings. I'm using BCY halo .014 serving but it's a bit spendy. In that thread I linked, there's many posts on using fishing line for serving. For center serving I'm using .021" BCY powergrip on 24 strand strings.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I’m new to string building too. I’ve built 2 sets of strings, one for each of my bows. I’m using BCY X99 and Halo .014.
I followed that above post and it was very easy. I practice making a test piece about 18” not to waste string material.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I’m new to string building too. I’ve built 2 sets of strings, one for each of my bows. I’m using BCY X99 and Halo .014.
I followed that above post and it was very easy. I made a test piece about 18” long so not to waste string material. Also used that to make sure the nocks will fit on the serving correctly.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Read this whole thread. Lots of very good information.
My jig is basically the same principal but I’m using an air cylinder instead of the spring and welded the bracket to hold the turning bolt.
The first 2 pic are old pics.
Made another set of strings over a month ago. I’m using tag ends. The pic did not show the white halo .014 serving up to the tag end. String pic is served with white and bcy serving clarifier was applied to make it Transparent. You can see up close the serving area is a little darker. At a distance it looks clear.
C63CAC0E-3362-45BD-BF87-CC87994670B1.jpeg
F86F2DDC-886F-4232-8DCB-8EB52C37524D.jpeg
CABEE827-E579-4FD1-9A2E-3C022FFBD3C4.jpeg
249D72BE-49AE-4948-A424-6ADF59A90F95.jpeg

·
Registered
20 Posts
@Gene1 Thank you for your reply! There is alot to sift through here on AT which is a good problem to have. Why would someone use .018 rather than .014 or another size, is it just personal preference? Also, when buying serving jigs, are they pretty much the same or is there something I should look for when purchasing? Thank you!

·
Registered
569 Posts
I’m kinda of new to string building. When I started, I built a very short test string to test fit the amount of strands and the halo .014. It fit pretty good and that’s how I made the first two sets. A month or so ago I wanted different colors.
With the last set of strings, I may have installed the center serving a bit tighter and now the nock is a little loose. But it’s more transparent or maybe the fluorescent colors popped thru better or the serving was tighter. I think .018 would have been better for center serving. My nock does click on to the string but there is a little play. Just need to keep an eye on it that the arrow will not drop out for a dry fire.
Maybe 28 strands but don’t want the strings to be too large for the cams. Or just buy .018. I do like the transparent serving.
Your nock has to click on but not too tight to a point your stressing them apart too tight. It has to be able to free swivel on the string serving.
I’m still learning.
70B77BCF-D540-4413-99A9-9B3B128D1CF0.jpeg

·
Registered
569 Posts
As to the string jig. Price range is large. I believe I read somewhere Automan does sell his jigs and you just need to buy the kindoff at electrical supply or homedepot.
Baker Archery Product sell jigs too and maybe other companies too.

I like the Beiter winder string server better. I was given a few of the other ones and it was workable.

·
Registered
Bowtech Realm w/ Gas strings. Fuse Ultra-Rest, AXT RAK4000, 365 bars, RIP TKOs w/ 100g Rage Hypo N/C
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@BowtechJerry Are you building a jig from plans on AT? If so, which one? Let us know how it is going for you!
Yeah, kind of a hodge-podge of the el-cheapo and my own trial and errors... But needless to say that I've built a couple for my Realm and every one turns out a little better then the last. I can really see the difference in my end loops which is pretty self gratifying lol. My servings are also getting more uniform. But I'm still also trying to get my jig dialed in at the same time so some inconsistencies are, in my opinion, to be expected. But here's a pic of the first string I completed, then the second, then my latest and it's a night and day difference. They may not be the prettiest and I know I should be using spectra for the loop itself. But it is what it is and I'm happy with the final result as long as there's no peep rotation upon installation. Tell me what you guys think...
IMG_20210112_105057754_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
150 Posts
It gets addicting quick, and you start experimenting. I built a string out of Power Pro Spectra fishing line that has lasted close to 2000 shots out of my Full Throttle with no visible wear. I usually use Fury whenever I can find some at a reasonable price and do all my end servings with #15 Power Pro.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you want to go cheap for starters, just get 1 spool and do single color strings. There's enough on 1 spool for several strings.
I'm trying to figure out how much material to get. I need to make a string and cable set. When you say there's enough on a spool for several strings, do you mean 1/8 lb or 1/4 lb if I'm going the single color route?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
1/8#

Ok, let's figure this out with an example.

Let say you're going to build a 24strand string out 452X that 60" long.

1lb of 452X is approx 8800' (according to BCYfibers.com website) so 1/8 lb spool would be 8800 ÷ 8 = 1100' approx.

Because of the twist rate you're going to use, you need to set your 2 posts at 60.5".

60.5" x 24 (strands) = 1452" or 121'. Add another 9' for error or whatever and you have 130' per string.

1100' (1/8#) ÷ 130 = 8.4 strings out of one 1/8# spool of 452X.

Obviously a different length, strand count, and material type would yield different results.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
1/8#

Ok, let's figure this out with an example.

Let say you're going to build a 24strand string out 452X that 60" long.

1lb of 452X is approx 8800' (according to BCYfibers.com website) so 1/8 lb spool would be 8800 ÷ 8 = 1100' approx.

Because of the twist rate you're going to use, you need to set your 2 posts at 60.5".

60.5" x 24 (strands) = 1452" or 121'. Add another 9' for error or whatever and you have 130' per string.

1100' (1/8#) ÷ 130 = 8.4 strings out of one 1/8# spool of 452X.

Obviously a different length, strand count, and material type would yield different results.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Wow thank you so much for doing this! I hadn't seen that 1lb is 8800ft, that is extremely helpful. Thank you again for your reply.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Each type of material has its own footage for a 1lb spool. i.e. 452X 8800ft, X99 11000ft, Mercury 13000ft, etc. BCYfibers.com

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
Let me post up a series of videos to help those who want to build their own jig. Note: In the parts list I forgot to mention the 4, 4-hole Unistrut plates.

Reactions: SamT

·
Registered
6,077 Posts

·
Registered
6,077 Posts

·
Registered
6,077 Posts