Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for a new string to fuzz up after a 100 shots or so? I have an area just under the nocking loop, I can't see where it would be rubbing anywhere.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I wouldn't think so. Is it waxed good?

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Is it 452X? They are notorious about fuzzing

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
no new bow comes with 452x on them do they ?? i think it might be your facial hair/stubs/ beard. draw your bow back and look in a mirror and see if thats it. thats also a good way to check your timing pegs to see if they are hitting at the same time:wink:
Is it 452X? They are notorious about fuzzing

·
Registered
22,697 Posts
Actually, some do come new with 452X.

·
Registered
482 Posts
no new bow comes with 452x on them do they ?? i think it might be your facial hair/stubs/ beard. draw your bow back and look in a mirror and see if thats it. thats also a good way to check your timing pegs to see if they are hitting at the same time:wink:
he didnt say new bow,he said new string...alot of folks dont bother even shooting in stock strings,and already have a custom before they get the bow home.......and yes martins come with 452x from stone mtn...maitlands come with 452x....i believe athens aswell but not intirely for sure....and some of the others are aswell..

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just under nock/d loop should be served....for atleast several inches below,so is it the string fuzzing or the serving??
i would agree to the above,probally from stubby facial hair...but if been exposed to heat thatd cause it aswell

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
If it's fuzzed below the serving you may want to check to see if you're hitting a shirt sleeve or armgaurd. But it does'nt hurt to wax it even if it is a new string.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
If it's fuzzed below the serving you may want to check to see if you're hitting a shirt sleeve or armgaurd. But it does'nt hurt to wax it even if it is a new string.
Unless an asteroid hit your string when you wern't lookin, I would have to agree. I do about 10 wraps half way between the CS and peep along with 10 above the CS and top end serve...does wonders.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Unless an asteroid hit your string when you wern't lookin, I would have to agree. I do about 10 wraps half way between the CS and peep along with 10 above the CS and top end serve...does wonders.
an asteroid,really??? I wont attempt to count the # of times ive seen an inexpierienced bow tech get to close with a lighter or torch while burning the ends on a dloop,or heat shrink for string stop or speed nocs..and its a known fact that shooting in hot temps is no good for strings either,dont know how the weather has been elsewhere,but we had low 100's here all week...just saying there all posibilities..

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
an asteroid,really??? I wont attempt to count the # of times ive seen an inexpierienced bow tech get to close with a lighter or torch while burning the ends on a dloop,or heat shrink for string stop or speed nocs..and its a known fact that shooting in hot temps is no good for strings either,dont know how the weather has been elsewhere,but we had low 100's here all week...just saying there all posibilities..
Exactly my point!!!!

The asteroid thing was simply showing the range of possibilities.

·
Registered
406 Posts
wax is your friend...

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
wax is your friend...
This ^^^

On all my new strings I just keep putting the wax to them for a while. It seems that wax just does not like to stay on some new strings right away.

After a few applications, the wax will finally start to hold.

·
Anti Fanboy
42,158 Posts
This ^^^

On all my new strings I just keep putting the wax to them for a while. It seems that wax just does not like to stay on some new strings right away.

After a few applications, the wax will finally start to hold.:thumbs_up

For the record, I only use BCY ML-6 Synthetic wax. Its a very good string wax that has proven to hold up very well in the high heat and humidity at my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
yeah the first thing I would do is wax your string and check to see if any part of your clothing is rubbing your string. Actually the first thing I do before ever putting a new string on my bows is wax is good before even installing them. Heck at that point I even wax the serving. I just rub some wax all over the entire string and cables and rub it in good. Never had a problem since I started doing that

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I waxed after the forst 30 shots or so. The string is from Little Jon,it's the trophy material. My son watched me and said there may be some rubbing on the opposite shoulder

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
That's contact with your arm or clothing. Seen it a bunch of times. Even if you don't think that's what it is....it is. :nod:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts