Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal... September 17th... Leaving for Ontario to chase bears... I have a '03 Ultratec with the original Hoyt string on it... factory serving also... The string has several thousand shots on it however, it's still in great shape... I wax the thing 2-3 times a week... No wear what so ever... Thinking of getting a new WC or VT string... What's your thoughts... Change it now or try and get one more season out of it?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Id say leave it on. I shot 3 years with my last string, and just changed mine yesterday for a new one, which i almost didnt do cause season opens in October. Im afraid it wouldnt have time to stretch and be set in time for your hunt. Thats just my opinion though.

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,268 Posts
I don't know for the life of me how you have that many shots through a 2 1/2 year old stock string, and haven't had it creep/stretch on you yet. Or at least need to tune it up a little. You probably have a few dollars wrapped up in your up comming hunt. It would be a shame to miss out on a nice animal due to something going wrong with your old string/cables. If it were me, I would install a nice set of custom strings (I'm kind of partial to Winners Choice with X-coat although there are other good string makers out there), get everything nice and broken in and tuned up before your September hunt, and keep your stock string as a back-up. Good Luck on your hunt.

·
Registered
121 Posts
wc

To me if your asking a question about the string, there might be some uncertainty in your mind.

Ya I'm a big WC supporter, however I've had them on my bows since they got started. Never had one problem what so ever. I have a lot of confidence that when I pull the bow back, that peep is right there.

Your going on a great hunt, with a lot at stake. I would replace it if your having doubts. But if you confident that it will work. Keep it on. It's what ever you feel confident doing. Good luck on your hunt. Post some pics when you get back.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
onexarcher said:
Your going on a great hunt, with a lot at stake. I would replace it if your having doubts.
Exactly! You've still got plenty of time to get a new set broken in before you leave. If they're 2-3 years old and factory strings, I'd definitely replace them.

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Vapor Trail VTX

I didn't have my Hoyt's 6 months and replaced the strings with Vapor Trail's :smile: :smile: Give Jarod a call, he's a great guy to talk with, and his strings are very,very nice :D Plus his delivery on new strings is fast, I've had all mine within 4 days, not bad at all...
But for piece of mind, especially after 3 years I'd replace them.
Vapor Trails # 1-800-310-8110

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have no doubt that a custome string would be better... I'm just worried that my bow would change for the worse...

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But you should take a back-up string & cables that have been broken in.

Also take a portable bow press. It's tough to try to change strings and cables using two trees as a bow press. :sad: Don't ask me how I know.

Good luck,
Allen

·
Registered
121 Posts
mark the cams

If you change the bow string, before you do mark the cams, check the poundage, nock height, tiller, and then put the new strings on if your going to. You probably know that already, but it's just some info if you did know. Best of luck.

One thing wc offers over the other companies is that one year guarantee. You may get fast turn around from other companies, and you will from wc, but our warranty is uncomparable to other string companies. Please visit our web site to learn more.

www.winnerschoicestrings.com

Bruce

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought my Hoyt in 02 and I shoot it alot. I have yet to get new strings. I think if you keep it waxed and it has not strecthed on you why replace it? Mine has not stretched according to the marks on the cam and it shoots the same as it always has. I also keep it waxed and clean and take good care it. Next year I will replace the strings mostly to upgrade. When I do this where I iwll go to get them, http://www.bowmancustomstrings.com/

I have a few friends whos bow is faster and smoother than ever just by going to his custom strings.

I guess in the end if your string is frayed and looks rough and its stretched alot then you should replace it, if not go and have fun.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still within the cam marks... I don't think that really matters... Anyway I called around... gonna get WC string and cables tomarrow... I guess I need to start shooting my recurve just in case this turns into an ordeal...

·
NAASP
14,544 Posts
strings and cables

The most important part of your bow and the #1 maintenance part of your bow is the strings.

I replace my strings and cables anually. It's cheap insurance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts