Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my EVO EVL needed a new string (I messed up the serving), and it appears that the new one has resulted in higher draw weight? I shoot at 65lbs, had the bow all dialed in, etc...well now I have the new factory PSE string on (the bow shop I go to put it on), nothing else has changed, and I noticed instantly that the bow felt harder to draw. Also I'm shooting ~5+ yards high on my sight tape and about 1.5 feet high on the target at all ranges (40, 60, 80).

It's not a big deal as I can just put new sight tape on, but is this normal? Is it possible for a new string to result in an increased draw weight?

Edit: the cables were replaced also, not just the string

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
If all you changed was the string and not the cables, then the new string is longer than the old one. If you gained DW from the string being too long, then your DL should have grown as well. You should be able to add some twists to the string to get it back in spec where it was.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If all you changed was the string and not the cables, then the new string is longer than the old one. If you gained DW from the string being too long, then your DL should have grown as well. You should be able to add some twists to the string to get it back in spec where it was.
Sorry, the cables were changed out also.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Sorry, the cables were changed out also.
In that case I would say the old cables had probably stretched some then. Have you or the shop measured the DW and DL on a draw board with a scale? If the bow is coming in way over peak weight with the new string set, you can remove some twists from the cables.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
In that case I would say the old cables had probably stretched some then. Have you or the shop measured the DW and DL on a draw board with a scale? If the bow is coming in way over peak weight with the new string set, you can remove some twists from the cables.
Maybe that's it. I shot the living **** out of the bow before switching to my new sight. Two weeks later I got the new string/cables. So maybe the old string was just really stretched out, and I set my sight/tape to that.

I haven't had the draw length measured, but it feels the same and my anchor point is in the same spot.

As for being over peak weight, that shouldn't be an issue, but I'll have them check it next week when I take the bow in for its new tune. I was only shooting 65lbs on 70lb limbs, and it only feels maybe a few pounds heavier.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
Maybe that's it. I shot the living **** out of the bow before switching to my new sight. Two weeks later I got the new string/cables. So maybe the old string was just really stretched out, and I set my sight/tape to that.

I haven't had the draw length measured, but it feels the same and my anchor point is in the same spot.
You might have just lost a couple pounds with the old strings and been shooting at 58 lbs, and then now with the new set it’s a little hot at 62 or 63 lbs. That 4 or 5 lbs would be enough to feel significantly different. If you’re happy with the way it’s shooting and it’s in tune, then you could always just redo your sight tape. I always like to keep track of exactly where my bow is in regards to DW, DL, and holding weight before I change out the strings so I can get everything back the same as it was.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You might have just lost a couple pounds with the old strings and been shooting at 58 lbs, and then now with the new set it’s a little hot at 62 or 63 lbs. That 4 or 5 lbs would be enough to feel significantly different. If you’re happy with the way it’s shooting and it’s in tune, then you could always just redo your sight tape. I always like to keep track of exactly where my bow is in regards to DW, DL, and holding weight before I change out the strings so I can get everything back the same as it was.
Yep, I'm fine with the new weight, whatever it is. I'll have the shop check it when I bring the bow in next week for its new tune. I'll just put new sight tape on.

I mainly just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I needed to be concerned about.

Thinking about it, I was actually at 65lbs on this bow (I edited my posts), so maybe I'm at like 68 or something now.

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
You confused me on your draw weight. Your first post said 60 lbs. In any case, you probably just gained 3-5 lbs with the new string set.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You confused me on your draw weight. Your first post said 60 lbs. In any case, you probably just gained 3-5 lbs with the new string set.
Yeah sorry, forgot on my new EVL I was shooting 65 not 60 like I used too. haha

Thank you for the help!

·
Back Yard Champion
30,470 Posts
So my EVO EVL needed a new string (I messed up the serving), and it appears that the new one has resulted in higher draw weight? I shoot at 65lbs, had the bow all dialed in, etc...well now I have the new factory PSE string on (the bow shop I go to put it on), nothing else has changed, and I noticed instantly that the bow felt harder to draw. Also I'm shooting ~5+ yards high on my sight tape and about 1.5 feet high on the target at all ranges (40, 60, 80).

It's not a big deal as I can just put new sight tape on, but is this normal? Is it possible for a new string to result in an increased draw weight?

Edit: the cables were replaced also, not just the string
Bow gaining draw weight with string and cable change means something changed. Max out limbs and check ata. ata should be dead on or within +/- 3/16". Okay, example; 34" ata and figure industrial tolerance so 33 13/16" and max listed draw weight or 34 3/16" and max listed draw weight and you're good to go.........

If installed by someone they should have checked this......If they didn't I'd find a new shop.............

·
Registered
None
316 Posts
Bow gaining draw weight with string and cable change means something changed. Max out limbs and check ata. ata should be dead on or within +/- 3/16". Okay, example; 34" ata and figure industrial tolerance so 33 13/16" and max listed draw weight or 34 3/16" and max listed draw weight and you're good to go.........

If installed by someone they should have checked this......If they didn't I'd find a new shop.............
Hey sonny where do you get that measurement from the outer part of the limb or the inside part of the limb??? I'm assuming that's on the end of the limb.

·
Wisconsin Bowhunter
1,578 Posts
Hey sonny where do you get that measurement from the outer part of the limb or the inside part of the limb??? I'm assuming that's on the end of the limb.
From the center of one axle to the center of the other axle...

Reactions: huntforfood703

·
Back Yard Champion
30,470 Posts
ata means axle to axle. Use a tape measure and measure from outside of one axle to inside of other axle.....same as center to center........

Reactions: huntforfood703

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
You never said you verified the draw weight being higher on a scale, just that it feels harder to draw. New cables and string, all ranges hit high is more likely due to the new nock point and/or peep location does not match the old settings...in other words your bow needs tuned. A few pounds of draw weight won’t equate to 1.5’ high as well as 5 yards does not equate to 1.5’ at 3 different distances. Without real info in the question-you won’t get real info for an answer!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You never said you verified the draw weight being higher on a scale, just that it feels harder to draw. New cables and string, all ranges hit high is more likely due to the new nock point and/or peep location does not match the old settings...in other words your bow needs tuned. A few pounds of draw weight won’t equate to 1.5’ high as well as 5 yards does not equate to 1.5’ at 3 different distances. Without real info in the question-you won’t get real info for an answer!
Right, I haven't had the weight verified since having the new strings put on (I should have when I was there, and I'm going to next week). I didn't take out a tape measurer on the targets, it's just a guess. The one specific is on the sight tape where it's ~5 yards high at all ranges (at 40 I need to have it set at 35, 60/55, etc.).

I'm taking it in for its new tune on Tuesday so I'll get to the bottom of it. The point of the thread was really just to ask if it's possible for new a new string/cables to add poundage.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Check axle to axle and Brace Height. You can do that at home with a tape measure.

More then likely with a string change your peep or nock height changed slightly.

Some string materials are slightly faster as well. Going from a stock 452X string to a string made of X99 or bloodline will also give you a couple FPS which would change your impact points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gold Supporting Archer
10,087 Posts
Whenever you change strings, you MUST retune from scratch all over again. Your pins will 99% of the time be off as well, so resighting will be part of the process.

Now why the extra poundage ? Simple, the new strings are not the EXACT length as the older strings. It happens often.

Reactions: BigXX78

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Whenever you change strings, you MUST retune from scratch all over again. Your pins will 99% of the time be off as well, so resighting will be part of the process.

Now why the extra poundage ? Simple, the new strings are not the EXACT length as the older strings. It happens often.
Thank you. I'm taking it in on Tuesday for its new tune.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Check axle to axle and Brace Height. You can do that at home with a tape measure.

More then likely with a string change your peep or nock height changed slightly.

Some string materials are slightly faster as well. Going from a stock 452X string to a string made of X99 or bloodline will also give you a couple FPS which would change your impact points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Total noob question, but do I need to have the limbs all the way screwed down to properly check axel to axel length? Obviously at 65lbs mine are screwed out a bit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts