Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summit is coming out with a new folding climber(a la the bullet and broadhead
style from a few years ago). Anyone know any details??? I think it's gonna be the "switchblade", but I'm not positive. Is it simply a revival of the old ones?
Might solve one of the criticisms of summit vs lone wolf debate....Compact Packing.
It's not on their site yet, but someone has the inside scoop I'm sure!:wink:

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I have not heard about it but I would take the price and comfort of my Summit over a Lone Wolf any day....fold up or not.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I still for the life of me cannot figure out why Summit hasn't resolved two major issues with their climbers:

The metal hooks on the seat bungee that need to be plasti-dipped.

The cable entrance holes that need to be rounded so they don't eat away the shrink wrapping on the cable. Two easy and cheap fixes, but two major flaws.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
love my summit! like being in a recliner 20 ft up...:wink:

·
Registered
3,715 Posts

The cable entrance holes that need to be rounded so they don't eat away the shrink wrapping on the cable. Two easy and cheap fixes, but two major flaws.
I covered my S-hooks with shrink tubing from Radio Shack.

As for the other, I agree..I wear out a set of cables a year..... :confused:

·
Registered
585 Posts

Good idea for the hooks. You can also use the rubber tube you use for aligning the peeps. (wet it first so it slips on easier)
Those sharps edges are rough on the cables. I have to recover mine at the end of the season. I am going to try to sand the edges down first.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I still for the life of me cannot figure out why Summit hasn't resolved two major issues with their climbers:

I have used summit stands, but never owned the "trigger" type cable climbers.
I have used them when hunting in friend's stands, and liked them, but they do seem to wear for them fairly quickly. Probably not any quicker than the API chain coating though. I finally got fed up and changed mine to cables! ha ha.
I've been toying with the old summit vs lone wolf thing, and this may be a game changer if they fold flat. I don't know why they dropped the old ones, but I am guessing they fixed any of the major issues??
As for the wear issue, maybe a dremel? Or a rat tail file? I dunno 'bout the metal clips.... I personally think hundred mile an hour tape fixes anything!

·
Banned
3,149 Posts

And don't forget the paint jobs. I don't know about you guys, but the paint chips off of my viper and titan like crazy!!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Switchblade it is.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
And don't forget the paint jobs. I don't know about you guys, but the paint chips off of my viper and titan like crazy!!
Here I have to agree too, but my whole stand is now wrapped in either summit skin or a competing product. They for sure need to look at their powder coating process.....

I still cannot take away the comfort factor. When I can sit, and feel safe, from dark to dark, without any bodily pain (sore bottom, knees, etc). Then I know I am in the right stand for me.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
cable question

i have used my summit viper for years, the shrink wrap on my cables is all but completly gone with that being said, it does'nt bother me, it still quiet once up a tree.painted them flat black so there's no glare.so my question is why recover them? your going to make noise until your done climbing anyway.

·
Registered
19,545 Posts
my other issue with the summit climber......

to adjust the cable for the platform...once already up in a tree.....the pull tab is on the bottom. why is it not on the top so you can reach down...pull the tab....adjust the cable...so the stand sits level??

the engineer building it probabaly doesnt hunt

·
Registered
672 Posts
my other issue with the summit climber......

to adjust the cable for the platform...once already up in a tree.....the pull tab is on the bottom. why is it not on the top so you can reach down...pull the tab....adjust the cable...so the stand sits level??

the engineer building it probabaly doesnt hunt
I think that was a saftey concern. Could you imagine you stand up some part of your gear catches the pull tab and the just happen to release the cable and there goes the top of your stand with you in it. They put it there for a saftey reason and probably to discourage you from adjusting the stand at 20 feet up. I never had a problem adjusting the stand if the situation called for it.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I was lucky to buy a Bullet display model four or five years ago for $50.00:wink: And I love it. If I remember correctly though they didn't sell as well as the Viper as they were a little more $ and weighed a couple pounds more. Hope they do well the fold up feature comes in handy when we are trying to load all the stuff for three guys in a truck for a trip. Weave thats a good idea on the shrink tube fix I will do that.:darkbeer:

·
Registered
457 Posts

I just cut the top two sections of my seat off and made my own permanent seat back out of pipe insulation, duct tape, and summit skins. I got the idea from someone on here. Problem 1 solved.

For Problem 2, I did file down the square edge, but it still catch and tears a little. Not a big deal, but still if they could change something in the casting or add an aluminum bulb weld in there to round off the tubing edges, then they'd have an untouchable climber for the money.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have not heard about it but I would take the price and comfort of my Summit over a Lone Wolf any day....fold up or not.

me its all about the comfort. I dont care how light or eazy the lonewolf is to carry. I spend more time in a tree seating then having the trestand on my back

·
BuckWheat
718 Posts
me its all about the comfort. I dont care how light or eazy the lonewolf is to carry. I spend more time in a tree seating then having the trestand on my back
Amen

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Agreed, the Summit is very comfortable for sure. The above mentioned issues are ones that I am having...IE the edges tearing up the tubing on the cables, I'm also not a big fan of how it packs as it is kind of noisy when putting it together and is bulky.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Agreed, the Summit is very comfortable for sure. The above mentioned issues are ones that I am having...IE the edges tearing up the tubing on the cables, I'm also not a big fan of how it packs as it is kind of noisy when putting it together and is bulky.
I like how mine packs. I love the pocket there between the stirrups for my backpack. I have a small rope tied around the third platform bar and I use a carabiner to quick connect to a loop in the rope, then I run a bungee across the pack to keep it secure. The Molle II straps are a must. I run the cables on the second stud. Perfect for setting down the stand and pack and have it stand up on it's own to be picked up again.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts