Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a SB 70 lbs 30 inch draw two days ago and I am in the process of tuning this thing. I have a Deadnuts Hunter Sight, 4 inch doinker, and a Whisker Biscuit rest. It is shooting bullet holes on paper tuning and is drilling the target. I screwed up to sets of fletchings tonight. Now for the problem if it is one, If I look down the center line on the handle the arrow is point right by a good 1/2 inch and everything else looks good. If I line the string up with the center of the rear stabilizer hole the arrow looks good but the sight pins are about 1/4 inch to the left of the string. I have never had a set up perform this well and look that far out of tune. Is this normal, am I torquing the bow? Is it the WB? I also noted that when I lay my arrow down on the top cam it is in line with the string and not touching the nock. Could that have something to do with what I am trying to discribe?
Help please or just tell me to rock on if it is shooting well. I have grouped well out to 30 yards and I am shooting Goldtips 55/75 cut to 28 1/2 inches fletched with blazers and tipped with 85 grain field tips and weigh in at around 400 grains. Will be using 85 grain Slick Tricks this year.

Thanks for your time

Elwood

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
If I look down the center line on the handle the arrow is point right by a good 1/2 inch and everything else looks good. If I line the string up with the center of the rear stabilizer hole the arrow looks good but the sight pins are about 1/4 inch to the left of the string. I have never had a set up perform this well and look that far out of tune. Is this normal
yes this is normal for a mathews! nothing is centered on them thats why you can't use a lazer to tune them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
When setting the centershot of the arrow set it at 13/16". This will give you optimum performance. If the bow won't tune with it set at 13/16", and you have the proper spined arrow, you will need to yoke tune the bow. I took me a while to get this figured out, but now this is the best shooting bow I have ever owned. :thumbs_up

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Forget paying attention to the grip, for whatever reason the company decided to put a center shot grip on a bow that it does not line up on. And as for the lazer, i wont even comment. ;)

·
Bow Huntin' pure-n-simple
4,922 Posts
The only advice I can help you with is pick up the bow ,shoot the bow, grin as the arrow hits the mark,repeat as often as necessary to maintain grin,You have what is one of the best bows on the market.Maybe not as fast as some of the others but deadly accurate and easy to shoot !

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have sb with a nap 2000 rg fall away rest and it is put on the centerline,and boy is this bow deadly :angry:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Swithchback Tuning

This have become a very common problem. I tune about 60 to 100 Mathews Bows a year and just about everyone has this problem if they don't pay close attention to hand placement. The Mathews grip has what I would call a sweet spot. If you put to much hand into this new grip they have designed it will cause torque. I have taken customers bows when they are questioning the center shot of the bow set it up center like it is suppose to be, then take them to the tuning rack and have them shoot it and they will normally get a left tear, then I shoot it and get a perfect tear. This is when they start asking the WHY question. Then I have to show them how to place their hand in the grip to be torque free. Most of my staff shooters don't even shoot a Mathews grip for this very reason. You can not put your whole hand into a Mathews grip the way the palm base is cut it will cause the bow to torque to the left. If you play with it, you will see it is very noticable.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all

All that responded gave out great advise and made me a lot more comfortable with my set up. Next process is fine tuning the broardheads in for hunting. The Switchback is all it is cracked up to be and the non-believers will open their eyes sooner or later.

Elwood

·
Registered
19 Posts
My wife gave me a SB for our anniversary last night....you guys answered some of my questions as well...THANKS. All I can say about this bow is WOW!
was shooting it in the dark last night. (had to) :p

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a good question Keith

Montana you did kind of leave us open :) . I would like to know how you are having your clients grip the Switchback. If you could explain I am sure that it would benifit more than just Keith and I. Thank you very much for your help thus far.

V/R

Elwood

·
Registered
790 Posts
Swithchback Tuning

My shooters are using the grips from Hicks and Schrude. You can go on line and view them and order them on line.
Paul

·
Registered
294 Posts
Plug in the cd-rom that came with your Mathews bow. Frank Pearson demonstrates the grip he uses in his shooting school. I happen to live near him and he has really helped me out a lot. The grip is one I never thought I would get used to, and then one day it just came naturally. Really gets rid of the torque issue.
There is some real good stuff on that cd.
AZHUNTER

1 - 13 of 13 Posts