Archery Talk Forum banner

New Target Bow - Hoyt Ultra or Pro Elite?

3848 Views 18 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Kodydog
I am contemplating purchasing a new target bow. I have it boiled down to a Hoyt Ultra Elite or a Pro Elite. I was planning on using 3000 limbs with Spiral-X cams. The Ultra Elite would have a brace height (7.5”) a little shorter than the Pro Elite (8.5”). My question is the difference between them as related to my draw length which is relatively short at 27"? My inclination is to go with the Ultra Elite because of the shorter brace height relative to my draw length.

Comments and suggestions please
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· C:\My Documents\My Pictur
24,688 Posts
Also interested in your replys here.:)

· Registered
2,767 Posts
After shooting the Vantage Elite for three months, I'd recommend it to anyone. The speed of the UltraElite with spirals is amazing though! Depends on what you want in a target bow.

· Registered
2,122 Posts
The VE and UE w/XT3000 limbs have the same geometery, just that the VE has the longer riser. I have both PE and UE and can't complain about either one. I also have a VE once I get that set up I don't think I will be disappointed either. If you have an oppurtunity to shoot any of them, anyone on here would recommend that before buying any of them. It's what feels the best and fits you the best.

· Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,100 Posts
Have to shoot both to figure which one is best for you. Good luck finding a shop that has both to shoot.

· Registered
742 Posts
I have two ProElites, one with cam 1/2 and the other with C2's. I prefer the cam.5 for indoor spots. Dont need speed for 20 yds. It is also 40-50 lbs set at 49, xt3000. Very smooth. The C2 Bow is 50-60 set at 59, also with xt3000. Both have 65% let offs. Great bows. I plan on using the C2 for some FITA type shooting. This decision your going to make really depends on what you plan on using it for when deciding on cam types. The XT3000 limbs give you a longer A to A which also helps in brace height and forgivenes. As far as a Pro or Ultra Elite, shoot them both and see what feels the best to you. Good luck!

· Registered
2,002 Posts
I am sure what ever you decide will work fine for you. I have the Pro Elite and love it!!! It wouldn't hurt to have a little more speed for outdoors but it does the job. If you are shooting indoors only....go with the Pro Elite. If outdoors only.....go with the Ultra Elite. If both.....I would go with the Ultra Elite with 3000 limbs..like you mentioned. Either way...they'll do the job. Good luck!

· Registered
79 Posts
I think the Pro elite would be a great indoor bow. The Ultra Elite would be a better choice for shooting outdoors. At 27" draw the UE will still work indoors. Make sure of your draw lenght with sprial x cams and shoot them before making your decision. I know that cam and people love em or hate em.

· Registered
4,056 Posts
I am contemplating purchasing a new target bow. I have it boiled down to a Hoyt Ultra Elite or a Pro Elite. I was planning on using 3000 limbs with Spiral-X cams. The Ultra Elite would have a brace height (7.5”) a little shorter than the Pro Elite (8.5”). My question is the difference between them as related to my draw length which is relatively short at 27"? My inclination is to go with the Ultra Elite because of the shorter brace height relative to my draw length.

Comments and suggestions please
I have the same draw length as you, and I am around 5'6, I tried them all and because of the string angle Longer axle to axle and feel .I went with the Ultra elite with the xt2000 limbs and cam&half plus 2.0 @60# brace height is 7 1/4 and I am getting 293 fps. This combination has worked very well for me. I mostly shoot 3D.

· Registered
998 Posts
hoyts

i have
2 ultraelite xt3500's
2 ultraelite xt3000's
1 proelite xt3000

my dl is 27 11/16
a good holding weight for me is 17lbs which is easily acheivable with spirals at 50lbs or c2's and 52lbs and fat cables

anyways
its a huge difference just between xt3000 and xt3500's on my ultras
so much smoother, much softer, and extreemly forgiving with the xt3500's
problem: with my DL and draw weight, i dont really make it 90 meters, so ive got to go back to xt3000's and spirals/c2's
the xt3000's
snappier, sight picture sets better, but just dosent have that "butter"feel like the xt3500's

now with the pro elite, its basically like the xt3500 ultraelites as far as overall feel, shoots great, holds great, i just dont seem to have the luck with the bow as i do my ultra's, but maybe i havent put the time in either

both bows, if you put your time in will be great
they have won vegas too fita world titles again and again

id say if your shooting 20 yards, go with the proelite or custom order a xt3500 ultraelite
if your shooting 90meters, ultraelite xt3000 or proelite xt2000
or vantage elite
for which i refuse to shoot cause if i did im sure id have to sell my 4 ultraelites and that would cost me thousands to upgrade
for right now, since i cant shoot like jim despart yet, my ultraeiltes will do the trick
pd

· Registered
963 Posts
Here is my $0.02 having owned Proelites and ultraelites with both 3000 and 2000 limbs and having the same DL (27") as you.

There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that the ultra with 2000 limbs is easier for a person with a short draw to hold steady (which is the ultimate goal right?). This combo has perfect geometry (45 degree string angle) for the 27" draw and I believe that the ultra balances better in general. It sounds counterintuitive at first, but the shorter bow will be easier for you to shoot well at our draw length. Also, the brace height part of the equation is not an absolute, but rather relative to your draw length.........so a person with a long draw gets more benefit from the increase in BH than you will.

I had significant issues shooting both bows with 3000 limbs as well as I thought I should be able to. After getting the 2000 limbs I immediatly increased my scores and confidence in the bows and now my ultra with 2000s is my favorite bow hands down because it holds so well. Most of the mantras we all think are absolute truths about target bows (like longer ATA and BH) apply less and less as draw length gets shorter.

Anyway, my vote is for the ultra for sure, and test shoot one with 2000 limbs if at all possible.

Matt

· Registered
823 Posts
I wouldn’t rule out a 737 from the mix. I’m probably an idiot as I am selling my 737 right now to help fund the purchase of a Vantage Elite but I can say without question that the 737 is a flat out tack driver and holds great. I bought the 737 based on the recommendations from some very (I mean very) well respected pro’s that the 737 was the real “sleeper” in the Hoyt lineup. For all practical purposes its an upgrade to the ultratec which says enough based on that bows record. It’s the best shooting bow I have ever owned and if the Vantage Elite does not live up to expectations I will be in the market for another 737 in a heartbeat. Just a thought!

· Registered
Rytera Nemesis, Easton Pro Hunters, Muzzy 3 blade, tru-Ball hinge release.
2,119 Posts
The best choice?

Picking either of those bows is the best choice. I have owned both and can say they do every thing SUPERBLY you will never be shooting 3D with one or the other and saying boy I wonder how it shoots spot or vise versa.
I owned the Ultra Elite and bought it for 3/D turned out to be the best spot bow I ever had!!! then I sold it for a Pro Elite and thought I would do better in spots but it was awesome in 3/D.
I'm never in the market for speed as I am not a short draw. The main point is... they are both incredible for ether.:shade:

· Registered
4,056 Posts
Here is my $0.02 having owned Proelites and ultraelites with both 3000 and 2000 limbs and having the same DL (27") as you.

There is absolutely zero doubt in my mind that the ultra with 2000 limbs is easier for a person with a short draw to hold steady (which is the ultimate goal right?). This combo has perfect geometry (45 degree string angle) for the 27" draw and I believe that the ultra balances better in general. It sounds counterintuitive at first, but the shorter bow will be easier for you to shoot well at our draw length. Also, the brace height part of the equation is not an absolute, but rather relative to your draw length.........so a person with a long draw gets more benefit from the increase in BH than you will.

I had significant issues shooting both bows with 3000 limbs as well as I thought I should be able to. After getting the 2000 limbs I immediatly increased my scores and confidence in the bows and now my ultra with 2000s is my favorite bow hands down because it holds so well. Most of the mantras we all think are absolute truths about target bows (like longer ATA and BH) apply less and less as draw length gets shorter.

Anyway, my vote is for the ultra for sure, and test shoot one with 2000 limbs if at all possible.

Matt
+1 I agree with you 100%

· NFAA
2,625 Posts
I've had both within the last 3 months and ended up keeping the UltraElite. The Pro just didn't hold as well for me as the UE did. One thing I will tell you is that you will need to add weight to the UE to get it to hold steady which is easy to do with all of the drilled out areas on the riser. My UE has xt3000 limbs with C2 cams. I tried it with Spirals, but my shoulder didn't like it. Either way, you can't go wrong....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.