Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an avid bowhunter. I currently use the switchback. I u were going to start 3d shooting what would u buy and why. What bow, sights ,arrows,etc...thanks.

·
Just shoot it!!!
3,178 Posts
Use whatever you have now. After a couple of shoots, you'll see what others use and will get a better idea of what you need to change if anything.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
If you want to stick with Mathews then go with either an Apex 7 or a Prestige. Both will give you more than enough speed with the Prestige being a bit faster. The A7 is a little longer at 38" vs the Prestige at 35 1/2. But the A7 has a 7" brace height vs a 6" one from the Prestige. Both should shoot very well for you it is just a matter of which feels better to you. Oh yeah the grip on the A7 is a little wider also but both are totally different from what you have been shooting on your Switchback.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Try a Hoyt Ultra Tec, and you wont want to shoot anything else. I shot a Q2 XL for a while and I liked it. But the handel on the Hoyt is a lot better. I was getting 289 fps, out of my Q2XL. I get 309 out of my Ultra Tec cam 1/2,29 in draw 66pounds, with a easton litespeed 400 that weighs 336 grains. In my opinion the Ultra Tec is the best feeling and most consistent bow on the market. You should shoot what feels good to you, most 3d shooters prefer a bow that is 37in or more long. Bowtech, Mathews and Hoyt all make good equipment. I just prefer Hoyt.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
C.Callison said:
Try a Hoyt Ultra Tec, and you wont want to shoot anything else. I shot a Q2 XL for a while and I liked it. But the handel on the Hoyt is a lot better. I was getting 289 fps, out of my Q2XL. I get 309 out of my Ultra Tec cam 1/2,29 in draw 66pounds, with a easton litespeed 400 that weighs 336 grains. In my opinion the Ultra Tec is the best feeling and most consistent bow on the market. You should shoot what feels good to you, most 3d shooters prefer a bow that is 37in or more long. Bowtech, Mathews and Hoyt all make good equipment. I just prefer Hoyt.

Very nice bow....infact I shoot one now. However most people don't like to and shouldn't shoot bows from different companies at the same time. Yes the grip on the Ultra Tec is much better than the one on the Switchback. But if you remove the grip and shoot off the riser or put on a Shrewd grip you have hte same grip just about. The A7 and Prestige do not have the wood grip the handle is just like the one on a Hoyt for the most part.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I hear what you are saying. I shot a shrewd grip on my Q2XL. But it didnt feel as good as my Ultra Tec in my opinion. I just cant see spending that much money on a bow and then having to go buy a grip for it.

·
Registered
34,166 Posts
C.Callison said:
I hear what you are saying. I shot a shrewd grip on my Q2XL. But it didnt feel as good as my Ultra Tec in my opinion. I just cant see spending that much money on a bow and then having to go buy a grip for it.
People buy grips all the time for bows other than a Mathews including Hoyts. The Q2 I had I shot off the riser. But the comment "I shouldn't have to spend all that money and buy a different grip" is Hog Wash. You shouldn't have to replace Hoyts strings. They sell more bows than all these companies but maybe Mathews and yet the other companies use good strings. I shouldn't spend $1000 on a bow and then have to drop another $100 on strings. In fact they should come with some ACC's as much money as they cost. But they don't. If you spend $500 on a fishing reel should it come with lures, line, and a rod. No.

But anyway sorry for the rant....the Apex 7 and Prestige have a grip similar to the Hoyts. Look you don't have to try and sway me on the Hoyt grip I have shot nothing but Hoyts for about 10 years (other than the two weeks I had a Q2) and I love them. But that is gonna change very soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts