Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm just getting 3d a little. Been shooting for years but just back yard and hunting. My new setup that I'm going to use as a 3d and hunting bow it an elite e35, cbe tek hybrid 3 pin, qad hdx and 8" b stinger. My arrows are gold tip Hunter 5575's. Would you guys shoot different arrows or just keep shooting my hunting arrows? Also what is the true benefits to the longer stabs and side bars?

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
It depends on what you want to get out of shooting 3D. For me, in the 1990's, it was all about the score. I was shooting a Burger King straw for an arrow to achieve max speed. Now, I shoot 3D to be better and more comfortable with my hunting setup. You decide. And remember, do what is going to make it the most fun. I have way more fun now. I go with a buddy who also uses his hunting setup.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
If your just shooting 3D for fun and to practice for hunting keep shooting your hunting setup and enjoy your self. If you are shooting to win or try to win every weekend. There is a lot of things that can be done even with a bowhunters class setup with stabs, sights and arrows.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that's the problem, I do it for fun, but I also want to win lol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree I want to win but I shoot 3d to stay in shape for hunting season and to truly learn what it is to aim that way when that once in a lifetime moment happens you are prepared.

·
Kung fu master/Wizard
2,730 Posts
So I'm just getting 3d a little. Been shooting for years but just back yard and hunting. My new setup that I'm going to use as a 3d and hunting bow it an elite e35, cbe tek hybrid 3 pin, qad hdx and 8" b stinger. My arrows are gold tip Hunter 5575's. Would you guys shoot different arrows or just keep shooting my hunting arrows? Also what is the true benefits to the longer stabs and side bars?

Yup that is a good setup to start with. If you start to really get into it and your score is competitive, then start throwing money at it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It can be done. I shoot with my hunting set up. 10 inch bee stinger and heavier arrows. Pulling them out kinda sucks
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453903368.808726.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453903392.825568.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,084 Posts
It depends on what you want to get out of shooting 3D. For me, in the 1990's, it was all about the score. I was shooting a Burger King straw for an arrow to achieve max speed. Now, I shoot 3D to be better and more comfortable with my hunting setup. You decide. And remember, do what is going to make it the most fun. I have way more fun now. I go with a buddy who also uses his hunting setup.
Great advice!

·
NC ASA Director
36,016 Posts
I'd start with your hunting setup. A fatter lighter arrow would be the first thing I changed.

Check out the 3D section of this site too.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,539 Posts

I think that is an excellent set up for 3D especially for a hunter/3d rig. What diameter are the pins?
Using what you have for a base line a setup that would be "more" 3D'ish would have .010 pins, 12" front bar, specialty archery peep (smaller aperture for 3D). Maybe use a bigger diameter arrow. You can swap in bigger pins and bigger aperture for hunting. I did this with my hunting and won 3D and indoor spot shooting with it.

I used a Spot Hogg Hogg-It sight and switched the pins for different games. I used a 12" B-Stinger with a 14 oz weight for everything. I used 2213's (my hunting arrows) for everything starting out. I then got some CXL's for indoors and 3D. I then added a set of 26 diameter carbon shafts (original x-jammers) for indoor spots. I turned the draw weight down from 61 lbs to about 55 for indoor spots. Early on I tried a few different high quality releases and found a high end thumb trigger that I used for everything. For a few years now I have used one model release for everything (Stan ShootOff). I own two ShootOffs because I never know when I might overly abuse or lose one.

·
Socket Man
24,303 Posts
Your setup is fine, keep in mind with a tech hybrid and moving it you will be in the open class because of the sight which is ok. I shot for a few years in the open class with my hunting bow and arrows and shot great. Just start going every weekend and in no time you will get a feel for what kind of shooter you want to be, for me it is a fully decked out target bow with a 4x lens and long stabs and fat arrows and a hinge release. I love that setup and shoot it thousands of times per year, I only shoot my hunting bow a few times to stick a deer and that is it.

The biggest thing you can do is to learn the 3d game, picking a bow and arrows is the easy part but becoming a strong 3d guy is a whole different story and can take years to develop especially when you are not around the right people to teach it to you. I sought out the best 3d shooter in my state and lucked out and got him in my group and that is when I found out I knew nothing, it didn't take long and I became a strong 3d guy. I have written up my 3d game here in the last couple months and the articles came out sweet and better than I expected.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the advice guys, as far as my sight putting me in the open class, with it having 3 pins I can still shoot Hunter just as long as I don't utilize the movable pin correct? Also do any of you guys shoot an e35 30" do 70lbs, what "fatter lighter" arrow would you recomend, also do you stick with 100gr field points or lighten up there as well?

·
NC ASA Director
36,016 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys, as far as my sight putting me in the open class, with it having 3 pins I can still shoot Hunter just as long as I don't utilize the movable pin correct? Also do any of you guys shoot an e35 30" do 70lbs, what "fatter lighter" arrow would you recomend, also do you stick with 100gr field points or lighten up there as well?

I have a 35 and I love the Easton SuperDrive 25's for 3D. I shoot 100 grain points up front and Blazer X2's on the back.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Shoot whatever you are comfortable with. It's all about putting the arrow where you want it right? Good set of binos to see where the vitals/spot is is important. Practice judging distance if it's unmarked yardage.

·
Registered
81 Posts

no if your club or organization goes by ASA , regions ect rules. I would change the sight and shoot everything you have to stay in hunter class.

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Your sight is fine by Asa or anybody else's rules. It's a 3 pin sight as long as you leave it set at 20,30,40 or what ever you sight in for your good. By any of the rules you can use a slider as long as you don't move it on the course.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts