Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to 3-D archery. I’ve shot a couple tournaments. I’m looking to upgrade to a 3-D set up from my hunting bow. Any input on bows, sights, scopes, rests etc. would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I’m new to 3-D archery. I’ve shot a couple tournaments. I’m looking to upgrade to a 3-D set up from my hunting bow. Any input on bows, sights, scopes, rests etc. would be greatly appreciated
It all depends on what class you're planning to shoot but here are some "typical" guidlines:
Bow
- Most people who compete at any level want a bow that's longer ATA than their hunting bow. Figure 34-36" ATA to be the most common. This affords you a better string angle, brings your peep a little closer to your eye and increases sight radius.
- Most people who shoot unknown distance also want something thats fast. This will allow you a larger margin of error when judging distance and still keep the arrow in the 10 ring. It's also important to note that some organizations have imposed speed limits for some or all the classes.
- As far as the brand of bow you should look for... that's up to you. All bow companies make bows that will suit you just fine. I've put up some really great scores with PSE, Mathews, Elite and now Athens.

Arrows
- I believe the most popular size arrows are 23/64" (the common term is simply "23s"). There are larger size arrows but some organizations set the max to "23s". The larger the arrow the better chance you will catch the line of the next higher scoring ring. But larger arrows usually mean larger vanes which can catch the wind and therefore blown further off course. I shoot 23s as I believe they are better at cutting the wind than "27s" but fat enough to catch some lines.
- If you are located out west shooting 3D in the desert winds, I'd probably recommend standard diameter arrows. I shot my 23s in Yuma a few months ago and the wind killed me!!!!

Sights
- This is where the Class you intend to shoot in really comes into play. If you have a single pin "movable" sight that will automatically put you into the Open class (even if you hunt with your set up) in most organized events.
- Regardless of class you choose... pick a quality sight.
- My personal set up is a CBE Vertex with a Shrewd Nomad 42, 5x lens and blue fiber at 45*.

Stabs
- This will also put you in a different class based on length of bars and where they mount on your bow.
- I use Smacdown bars 27/12 with an 8* drop

Hope I helped a little.... but you may have even more questions. Best thing to do is find a local 3D league for this year and try different setups ang go from there.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
depends on what class
are you shooting hunter class, No optics, 12 in stabs, sliders
a Open type class, long stabs and optics

PSE is my pic on bows, If i was buying to day it would be a PSE Supra XL 60lbs
a used Shootdown target bow is pretty affordable now. ( thats what im shooting and no mine is not for sell)

A PSE Evolve are great all around bows, Love the feel of the cams and pretty fast.
My second pic was halon nice fell.
all the Major vendors make nice bows, OB, Mathews, Hoyt, PSE, Prime, ..
Honest on a Bow ,, I believe the bow pics you ,, you dont pick the bow.
try out several , you will know the one when you pick it up

I have seen many hunting bows on the 3d course with 30 inch stabs and sliders with optics

some with just sliders, which moves you out of he fix pin classes.

you said scope so i assume you want to go to a Open class

I find 3d much easier with a Slider single pin,
The Spot hogg Hog Father is a pretty good pic,, I love it fast to adjust for 3d and for spots it micro click to really dial in those inside out X , with 4x optics.
The spot hogg has a nice scope on it, Brians Optics makes affordable good optics.

I picked up a HHA used for my wife here dirt cheap, it does not have micro click but its a great for what she is doing with it ,, just 3d no spots.

give us more input on what class you want to shoot and , we can help more

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the input. I appreciate you taking the time to provide so much information and value your opinions. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I did want to add one thing not about equipment but shoots.

We travel and shoot in many states, for sanctions shoots and fun shoots. Honestly i really prefer fun shoots.

no two clubs are the same

some are super laid back and just make the day a blast, sell mulligans and stuff, you keep your own score in your group and have a good time with OTHERs laid back at all

some "fun" shoot, the guys can be total a-holes. they want to make their little club fun shoot run like a ASA pro shoot. "double score cards," "station change at a horn", "super up tight", "45 minute repair rules", "No farting on the course because their bottoms were to tight they cant pass gas".

My favorite shoot any where was in Lubbock Texas, they set an amazing course, never the same, very challenging, shooting on flat plains, shooting down step vallieys. target in bright sun then in deep shadows, just a rock and roll times. but most of all every person i have met will do anything to help
drinks and candy are like a buck, sandwich 2-3 bucks they are there for fun not to rape every dime you have.

Mississipi, Ok , NM, Kansas has a few nice shoots. very fun

Most people are into Paris, honestly , it is ok but dont love it. flat ground shooting in trees, no major angles and average shots.

A really fun shoot i just tried was in Seminole Tx , a very small club but it was down home, good time, if your in that area go its really with the 10 bucks

I find most the really fun clubs let ya take a break when ya want , all they have is a deadline to turn in score cards.

in saying this
try a few,, some are really fun and will fit what your looking for.

·
Coal Keeps The Lights On
671 Posts
The main thing is to have fun and enjoy the outdoors, and possibly make some new friends a lot of good people shooting 3D.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again guys! A lot of helpful info!

I did want to add one thing not about equipment but shoots.

We travel and shoot in many states, for sanctions shoots and fun shoots. Honestly i really prefer fun shoots.

no two clubs are the same

some are super laid back and just make the day a blast, sell mulligans and stuff, you keep your own score in your group and have a good time with OTHERs laid back at all

some "fun" shoot, the guys can be total a-holes. they want to make their little club fun shoot run like a ASA pro shoot. "double score cards," "station change at a horn", "super up tight", "45 minute repair rules", "No farting on the course because their bottoms were to tight they cant pass gas".

My favorite shoot any where was in Lubbock Texas, they set an amazing course, never the same, very challenging, shooting on flat plains, shooting down step vallieys. target in bright sun then in deep shadows, just a rock and roll times. but most of all every person i have met will do anything to help
drinks and candy are like a buck, sandwich 2-3 bucks they are there for fun not to rape every dime you have.

Mississipi, Ok , NM, Kansas has a few nice shoots. very fun

Most people are into Paris, honestly , it is ok but dont love it. flat ground shooting in trees, no major angles and average shots.

A really fun shoot i just tried was in Seminole Tx , a very small club but it was down home, good time, if your in that area go its really with the 10 bucks

I find most the really fun clubs let ya take a break when ya want , all they have is a deadline to turn in score cards.

in saying this
try a few,, some are really fun and will fit what your looking for.

·
Registered
20 Posts
go talk to the people working in multiple archery shops, they usually have their target bows around with their setups where they might let u hold it and see all the different things they use. or go to one of the big pro shoots where the sponsors show up to with their stuff so u can look at a bunch of stuff or they might let u try it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts