Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm Leslie, and I recently starting playing around with a recurve and a target in my yard. I just wanted to introduce myself to the community and see where to get started on this site to make the most of it to move forward with my shooting... Places to get lessons, purchase gear, etc. I feel so lost, besides finding a bow that feels comfortable (at least for now) I feel basically out of place. Any tips would be great!

Thanks everyone!

Leslie Jane

·
Venison Junkie
1,274 Posts
You are off to a good start in a great sport. I would suggest going of the USA Archery and NFAA websites and looking up instructors. The instructors are well trained and undergo background checks. Find a local instructor and he/she should be able to direct you to a reputable pro-shop and or archery club.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Find an archery club in your area. They put on shoots for fun. You can learn a lot from friendly people without the anxiety of not being a "pro" already!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
118 Posts
This is an awesome sport with tons of great people. Welcome to the community! Find a shop or club with lessons and go to some shoots. The 3-D shoots are fun and not as high stress as the target competitions. Honestly, I haven't found anything archery related that hasn't been fun. leagues, shoots, tournaments, clubs... it is all fun.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Hello to another recurve shooter . Are you going to stick with the recurve? If so, try to start out with a lower poundage bow and build your form first. Are you shooting non sighted? For non sighted recurve you may want to stat with 3 fingers under the nock and an anchor higher on your face so the arrow is more in line with you line of sight. You might check out the trad forum here also.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Since you are from NJ, If you have trouble finding a good coach, I would success that you take a day trip to LAS. They have some good instructors in their Archery Academy. Call ahead & make an appointment & spend some time in the show room. They have everything for archery under one roof.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wish you all the energy to persevere this worderfull sport. The first time I went to a FITA that was it I knew this sport was for me. I like the game and the person there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the sport!

I'm fairly new to using this site so I can't really recommend things confidently regarding this sight in particular but there's supposed to be a thread where people sell and buy equipment which would be really useful. For obtaining new equipment, you can always go to Lancasterarchery.com or alternativess.com. Though be warned that if you order off of alternative, the shipping cost is pretty high.
Personally for equipment, I would search around and look for a pretty decent riser that will last you a while but cheaper limbs for the beginning because most likely, you'll be cycling the limbs up for higher poundages so looking for limbs that will last in the beginning isn't as significant.

For finding coaches, I got started with the local club around my area and connected to really good coaches that way. There's a surprisingly large number of archery clubs that you can join and if there isn't any in your immediate area, contacting an archery club somewhere around your location can reveal a lot of training places, coaches, and so on.

Archery has a pretty steep learning curve and there's a lot of information but it's definitely good to reach out to the community.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome, Leslie Jane!

Glad to have another recurve shooter in Archery Talk Women. I would agree with the others who have said find an archery club in your area. I used to live in Plainsboro, NJ but that was a while ago, so I can't recommend anything. But clubs are all over the place, even in the boonies. You can frequently get lessons and help. I find the very experienced archers are only too happy to help newbies where I shoot. They will also be able to help you find good gear.

Another place for help is a good professional archery store - they also have lessons and give advice, a lot more than at a big box store. Getting the wrong equipment can make shooting not much fun or even result in injury. Not good.

Have lots of fun! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts