Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband has been bowhunting for years and I have wanted to start for a few years now. Well for my 30th Birthday he finally bought me a bow, a pink Chaos. I love it. Although I have only shot it a few times, and unfortunately popped :embara: my elbow which left a very nasty bruise.

But I have question.

What kind of release you use? I have been using one of his that he just had laying around but I would like to get my own and just want to know what you think.

Also any advice for just starting out. My husband has tried to tell me everything he can think of but when you been doing something like for so long I am sure sometimes you forget little details. . . . Like make sure you have your elbow turned out so the string doesn't pop you, OOPS!

· Registered
50 Posts
Welcome to the sport! You will love it! It really depends on what kind of release you are comfortable with. I started out with a TurBall Cyclone which is a great trigger release! Now I use the TruBall ST-4.A little different but it's growing on me!

Also, things like popping your elbow will come to you once you do it enough! haha! :wink: Good luck and have fun!

· Registered
305 Posts
Brilynn, WELCOME.. You will love being out there with your husband. I have been hunting with mine for almost 4 years now. I am still always asking questions and it does not seem to bug him. AT is a great place where you can also find lots of helpful and seasond people. Have fun and just roll with it. Your life is going to get very interesting now.

· Registered
3,337 Posts
Congrats on the new bow and welcome to the forum!

As far as what kind of release to start with I suggest you try a wrist release, a thumb trigger release, and try shooting fingers too. See what feels best for you right now. Remember, you're just getting used to it, you can always change your mind later as you get more comfortable.

I started shooting fingers and then about four months into it I changed to a thumb release. To each their own with that I suppose.

My advice would be to make sure you're having fun with it. Don't get stressed. Stress = flinch. ha ha There's no flinching in archery. :lol:

Don't worry about hitting your arm. It happens every now and then. :sad: Enjoy shooting with your hubby, it can be the best part of the sport. :D

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I think I was just trying to think of too many things at once and obviously my elbow was not one of them. I'm not exactly sure what kind of release it is other than a wrist release and I use my index finger. I was looking at a Longhorn release, any opinions on those. I am not real comfortable pulling back yet but then again I have only it done a few times. I also have 6 month old and have not yet got back into working out yet but I am sure this will help. I am not sure what my current draw weight it, he took it into the local shop to have it backed down from the original 50lbs, but he won't tell me what it is now just that I need to get used to it.

· Registered
30,683 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I think I was just trying to think of too many things at once and obviously my elbow was not one of them. I'm not exactly sure what kind of release it is other than a wrist release and I use my index finger. I was looking at a Longhorn release, any opinions on those. I am not real comfortable pulling back yet but then again I have only it done a few times. I also have 6 month old and have not yet got back into working out yet but I am sure this will help. I am not sure what my current draw weight it, he took it into the local shop to have it backed down from the original 50lbs, but he won't tell me what it is now just that I need to get used to it.
Holy cow- I've been shooting for years and only draw 50#. You don't want to be straining when you draw it. Have him crank it all the way down to 40# and see if it is comfortable there. Pulling more than you are comfortable with will tire you out way too fast, will teach you bad habits, and can lead to injury. If it won't go low enough, you may want to swap out for some 30-40# limbs. Your draw weight is a silly thing to worry about starting out. A lot of men feel silly pulling a low weight. We are women, we have more sense than that.

As for the elbow.. yeah, I hit mine on occasion. One thing you can do is get a good arm guard. They are not expensive and will save you a lot of pain and bruising. Then, make a checklist that you follow with each shot. Start with the placement of your feet, nock the arrow, find your anchor points, be sure your hip isnt cocked forward, be sure your shoulders are correct, turn your elbow out, check your grip (or lack thereof) on the bow, put your finger on the release, and squeeze. Make a list that works for you, and follow it in order with every shot.

· Registered
861 Posts
Don't be afraid to ask other shooters to try their release. We do it all the time and I have never had someone that wasn't happy to let me try their favorite. Try several different kinds and brands until you find one that fits you. I personally shoot the Scott Little Bitty Goose. I like it becasue I have short fingers and I could adjust the length to fit me.

· Registered
10,119 Posts
Ouch!!

Yea, that arm smack really hurts. I think we've all done it.

The best way to avoid that is with the proper grip, or like was stated above lack thereof. Your hand should not be gripping the bow tightly, or like we say around here, "White knuckling"

Yes, do turn your poundage down.. that will help with your control of the bow. You'll be able to have a more comfortable grip and thus.. not smack your arm.

· Registered
6,580 Posts
What kind of release you use? I have been using one of his that he just had laying around but I would like to get my own and just want to know what you think.

Also any advice for just starting out. My husband has tried to tell me everything he can think of but when you been doing something like for so long I am sure sometimes you forget little details. . . . Like make sure you have your elbow turned out so the string doesn't pop you, OOPS!
Take your bow to the store/range and try all the releases you can. If they won't let you open packages at the store either find another store or go to the range and borrow everyones and anybodies.

I currently shoot a Carter Insatiable thumb trigger release ... but I've got a new Carter Ember that I've got set up for ring finger release that I'm going to give a go this summer.

There's a bunch of different types of releases. Style usually depends on what you're planning to do with it. Most hunters go for the wrist release.

Kiddie forum is over there. Run along now.
:amen:

Uh huh ... any male should know his duty to buy HIS GIRL supplies. Mine already knows what type of arrow shafts I want! :wink:

· Registered
737 Posts
try scott releases. Like the Little Bitty goose or Sabertooth for smaller wrists.

I would suggest a strap release to start, and a buckle strap for consistant placement.

Other strap releases: Truball, TruFire, Carter

· Registered
49 Posts
I have been shooting the scott Shark since I started a year or so ago....very nice and reliable....try the different styles and see what works for you.....thats the best way to know what is going to give you the best shot....welcome!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.