Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I just moved to Utah from Alabama, and are entering a team archery hunt drawing for bull elk this fall. The first time I shot a bow was yesterday, and I LOVED it!! Even if we don't get drawn for the team hunt I plan on getting a regular archery elk and buck tag for the fall.

The reason I'm posting on here is: I need a bow!! I've decided that since I have 8 months before I'll need it, I'm going to be very picky about the kind I get. I want a "girly" bow-pink, purple, etc. I've been looking at the Mathews Passion and have fallen in love with the electric pink version...although spending $800 on a bow is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

So, my question for you: What other manufacturers make feminine-colored bows? I have a 28" draw length and want a 40-50 pound draw weight. I've seen the Hoyt Vicxen and although it's geared towards women, it's not pink or purple! I know that the appearance of the bow won't make me any more likely to kill an animal, but if I'm going to spend upwards of $500 on a bow, it's going to be on one that I LIKE!

The only feminine-looking bow other than the Passion that I've been able to find is a Parker Side-Kick in pink camo (I'm not allowed to post the link to it in here). Hubby didn't sound too excited about the Parker brand...Any thoughts?

Thanks a million!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Pink PSE Chaos

Go to my profile and check out my Pink PSE Chaos. I'm actually trying to sell it because I have a Hoyt Vicxen on order. Pretty girly...and it shoots great!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
This is Shot Therapy using my hubs account. You should find the right bow that fits you no matter what color. Then you can have it dipped whatever color you want. possibly even buy one used to offset the cost of dipping it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is Shot Therapy using my hubs account. You should find the right bow that fits you no matter what color. Then you can have it dipped whatever color you want. possibly even buy one used to offset the cost of dipping it.
Hmmm I've never heard of getting a bow dipped. I wonder how much it costs, and where I could get it done? Most archery shops I guess? Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
705 Posts
you could also get decal wraps for your limbs-- battledrum can hook you up with them I'm sure.

as far as other pink bows, you might want to check out the Razor Edge by Diamond. I'm pretty sure those still can come in pink and are good bows.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Great Advice

:thumbs_up

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you could also get decal wraps for your limbs-- battledrum can hook you up with them I'm sure.

as far as other pink bows, you might want to check out the Razor Edge by Diamond. I'm pretty sure those still can come in pink and are good bows.
Thanks for the battledrum tip! I went to their website and I saw all kinds of different wraps, but nothing for limbs. I guess I just overlooked them?

I found a Diamond Razor Edge youth/womens pink camo bow brand new for about $350 on ebay. It looks like it's a full set up, although I'm sure a lot of their accessories are pretty cheap.

I really like the look of the Mathews Ignition (in electric pink, of course), and although I'm new to this I think that Mathews is generally a better bow than the Diamon Razor Edge...Right?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Hmmm I've never heard of getting a bow dipped. I wonder how much it costs, and where I could get it done? Most archery shops I guess? Thanks for the tip!
Cost to get a bow dipped is in the 100-150 range. There are many hydrographic places where you can send it to to get it dipped. I'm getting ready to ship out one of my old bows for a new finish.

I just suggest you get something with an adjustable draw length. Being that your just getting started you may find out that you are not actually a 28" draw. Keep in mind that 90% of the people shooting a bow shoot too long of a draw length. If you really get hooked you'll start looking for ways to better your game. At that time you may find that a shorter draw is what you need. I know of very few women who are a true 28 inch draw. I am 5' 10" and my draw is only 26 5/8

You could post pics on here, and get a ball park as to how close of a fit you have but only experience, will help you fine tune your fit, and your game.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cost to get a bow dipped is in the 100-150 range. There are many hydrographic places where you can send it to to get it dipped. I'm getting ready to ship out one of my old bows for a new finish.

I just suggest you get something with an adjustable draw length. Being that your just getting started you may find out that you are not actually a 28" draw. Keep in mind that 90% of the people shooting a bow shoot too long of a draw length. If you really get hooked you'll start looking for ways to better your game. At that time you may find that a shorter draw is what you need. I know of very few women who are a true 28 inch draw. I am 5' 10" and my draw is only 26 5/8

You could post pics on here, and get a ball park as to how close of a fit you have but only experience, will help you fine tune your fit, and your game.
I agree with what you're saying about my draw length; my hope is that if I get a bow that goes up to 28 and that ends up being too long, I can always make it shorter. I had a very knowledgable lifelong archer help me out yesterday, and he is the person who told me I need a 27.5" draw. He came up with this number after trying several different bows and draw lengths, and after researching draw lengths online (wingspan/2.5), mine comes out to 27.6 (my wingspan was 69").

I know that a lot of this is trial and error, and that there are no hard and fast rules. It will take time for me to figure out what works best for me, but it's hard to be patient when I'm so excited to get started shooting!! Hopefully I will find a good fitting bow soon so I can figure out exactly what I need and like.

Thank you for your help!

PS What's the name of the place you're sending your bows to to get them dipped? If they're online I'd love to check them out :smile:

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
well it sounds like your on the right track. If you go with something that will fit the long end of what you might need, and be able to adjust down as needed.
There is a whole lot other than just wing span that goes into the perfect draw length. Body, bone structure, stance, shoulder width, hand shape, and size, ect....
For example my wing span is 70 inches, but I am kinda built like a woman. I'm long, and narrow. I have narrow shoulders, long arms, and long skinny hands I also shoot an open stance. If I was a short stalky guy with a 70 inch wing span I would likely need a 28 inch draw rather than the 26 5/8 I shoot.
Sounds to me as though your on the right track though find something that is adjustable, and play around until you find the fit that works best for you.

The place I am sending my bow is hydro-dip they charge 100.00 for the riser.
hydro-dip.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well it sounds like your on the right track. If you go with something that will fit the long end of what you might need, and be able to adjust down as needed.
There is a whole lot other than just wing span that goes into the perfect draw length. Body, bone structure, stance, shoulder width, hand shape, and size, ect....
For example my wing span is 70 inches, but I am kinda built like a woman. I'm long, and narrow. I have narrow shoulders, long arms, and long skinny hands I also shoot an open stance. If I was a short stalky guy with a 70 inch wing span I would likely need a 28 inch draw rather than the 26 5/8 I shoot.
Sounds to me as though your on the right track though find something that is adjustable, and play around until you find the fit that works best for you.

The place I am sending my bow is hydro-dip they charge 100.00 for the riser.
hydro-dip.com
Thank you for bringing up the point about different factors coming into play with draw length. I hadn't thought about other things affecting my draw length, like my build and stance. Now if I need a little shorter or longer than what is "recommended," I won't feel shy about being insistent on what's comfortable to me. I'm so new to this that I kind of sit back and shrug my shoulders, assuming that everyone else knows more than I do.

I saw hydro dip's website online last night, it looks like they do great work. I also found Northwest Hydroprint's website (http://www.northwesthydroprint.com/Custom-Painting.html) who are located in Washington. They charge slightly less than hydro dip, and they're really close to me. If I ever did send anything out it'd be nice to have a fast turn around.

Many thanks as always for all of your help and information!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thanks for the battledrum tip! I went to their website and I saw all kinds of different wraps, but nothing for limbs. I guess I just overlooked them?

I found a Diamond Razor Edge youth/womens pink camo bow brand new for about $350 on ebay. It looks like it's a full set up, although I'm sure a lot of their accessories are pretty cheap.

I really like the look of the Mathews Ignition (in electric pink, of course), and although I'm new to this I think that Mathews is generally a better bow than the Diamon Razor Edge...Right?

Thanks for your help!
$350 seems kinda high on the Razor Edge. I think when I looked at them they were about $320. I'll agree on the accessories. They are good enough to start but if you're going to stick with it you'll probably upgrade them.

As far as comparison to the Ignition, I've never shot the Ignition so I can't really judge it. I think quality wise they are both good bows. I think the Razor Edge may IBO faster than the Ignition, but the best thing to do is try to shoot them and see what you like. Bowtech now makes the soldier that is a nicer version than the Edge but I'm not sure if it comes in pink.

I'm not sure that battledrum has their limb wraps on their website, but look up Melissa and tell her what you're looking for and she can probably give you some idea of a cost.

Check out the classifides section here on AT, there's usually lots of nice bows for sale there.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have shot the Ignition and the Razor. And they are both good bows. They are very comparible. I think the Razor had a bit of a smoother draw, and a bit faster. Try out a PSE Chaos. they come and pink and is a great starter bow.. They also come in a package deal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have shot the Ignition and the Razor. And they are both good bows. They are very comparible. I think the Razor had a bit of a smoother draw, and a bit faster. Try out a PSE Chaos. they come and pink and is a great starter bow.. They also come in a package deal.
Thanks! I'm actually considering getting the PSE Chaos from someone on here. I'm going to an archery place today to shoot one to see if I like it. If I do I think it will be my first bow. Hooray!!

·
Registered
408 Posts
The razor edge comes in pink and black digital camo, and for $330 you get a sight and rest. I started with that and loved it! It is a great bow!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The razor edge comes in pink and black digital camo, and for $330 you get a sight and rest. I started with that and loved it! It is a great bow!
I like the Razor Edge, but my husband is being a bit of a brand snob and is discouraging me from looking into it. I don't HAVE to do what he says, but I do like to choose my battles, and this isn't one I feel like choosing! I will probably end up getting a pink chaos and getting it dipped to be purple and black marble. I'm WAY too excited about this....

·
Registered
408 Posts
HAHAHA! Your husband sounds like my boyfriend... He wanted me to get a chaos... I shot it a few times and just didn't like how stiff it was compared to razor edge! But I DEFINITLEY understand the picking the battles, but you should go with what you like so you stay excited! :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HAHAHA! Your husband sounds like my boyfriend... He wanted me to get a chaos... I shot it a few times and just didn't like how stiff it was compared to razor edge! But I DEFINITLEY understand the picking the battles, but you should go with what you like so you stay excited! :D
Very true. I think that him and I will be able to find a compromise, and I'm so excited to get started shooting that I don't mind if he will only "let" me choose from three or four brands. He hasn't given me any crap for wanting to get it dipped purple, which is super important to me, so I can't complain too much!!

·
Registered
30,678 Posts
I have to side with your bf on this one-- I've never been crazy about the razor edge. The PSE is a much better bow. Of course, it all comes down to what fits you best. If you aren't happy with the bow, chances are you won't go shoot it much.

BTW-- WOOHOO for more long armed women on here! I have a 30" dl, and a couple other women have 28+. It's nice because it gives us a lot more options when it comes to bow shopping. If you pick up 3D, it will also give you an advantage there. Play with the draw length a little until you find what feels right. The formulas will get you close- but they are not exact. Try shortening and lengthening it a little just to see what they feel like.

In the end, archery is all about personal preference. What works for you won't work for everyone else. Don't let anyone bully you into a set up that isn't right for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have to side with your bf on this one-- I've never been crazy about the razor edge. The PSE is a much better bow. Of course, it all comes down to what fits you best. If you aren't happy with the bow, chances are you won't go shoot it much.

BTW-- WOOHOO for more long armed women on here! I have a 30" dl, and a couple other women have 28+. It's nice because it gives us a lot more options when it comes to bow shopping. If you pick up 3D, it will also give you an advantage there. Play with the draw length a little until you find what feels right. The formulas will get you close- but they are not exact. Try shortening and lengthening it a little just to see what they feel like.

In the end, archery is all about personal preference. What works for you won't work for everyone else. Don't let anyone bully you into a set up that isn't right for you.
Thanks for your support! I've pretty much settled on the Chaos, but the archery places around here won't let me test shoot one (do any archery places do that?), which makes me a little nervous, since everyone keeps talking about fit and comfort. How do I know if it fits or if I'm comfortable with it before I buy the stupid thing?? lol. I was able to pull one back but not actually shoot it....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts