Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 5 weeks ago I started a 1 hour, once a week archery 101 class. Pretty hooked on it so far, yesterday was the last class, but I bought the bow the coach recommended and plan to continue going and join the archery club that he also does. I bought the SF Axiom Plus with 28lb SF limbs and I opted to get some Easton Carbon One arrows over the cheaper aluminum ones he recommended. I didn't really research anything online before hand (which is natural for me) so really just wanted to see what some unbiased people had to say. The riser, limbs, sight, string, fingertab and arrows all total came out to around $400 after tax and they built the arrows and tuned the bow for me so that was cool. I hope I made a decent investment.

Anyways is there anything else I need to think about buying anytime soon? I just picked up this quiver, because it was cheaper than the ones in the proshop and looked ok.

Are there any youtubers that are popular? Also, I did notice that it seemed somewhat difficult to find reviews about gear and such, what are some good sites that post articles/reviews about equipment?

The rental bows we were using in class were 22lb but because I apparently have an abnormally long draw when I was selecting limbs/arrows they didn't actually have any arrows that would fit me properly with the 20lb SF limbs I was going to get, something about not having stiff enough arrows that long or something I'm not entirely sure the technical bit behind it. Suffice to say the 28lb limbs I ended up with are probably a little on the stiff side for prolonged shooting for me right now, but I'm going to try and go often to build up some endurance. The rentals also had the little rubber finger things on the string, so today was my first day shooting with a finger tab and it felt really weird and different but I think it probably needs to get broken in or something. Anyways I got the bow sighted in at 10 meters and then moved back to 20 meters to take a few shots before I had to go back to work.

Heres my 2nd group at 20 meters. I think thats pretty ok for using a new bow weight and new finger tab thing. I'm not really sure what a 'good' group is for a beginner. That was all I had time for since had to go back to work :(

(All the rest of those holes are not mine lol)
http://i.imgur.com/oaKusk6.jpg

And heres just a shot of the bow and everything

http://i.imgur.com/rhqedq9.jpg

Anyways sorry if this post was a bit scattered, its getting late here. Let me know what you guys think

EDIT: Holy hell those images were huge when I embedded them. Changed it to direct links lol

Thanks,
-AA

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
OK, I'll jump in. You may find the traditional site to your liking, but with your set up, the F.I.T.A. site may work better. While, for me, it's fine and I have a similar set up but without a sight. So hearing about how we struggle with gapping, instinctive, hunting and 3D issues won't be, I'm thinking, what you want to hear. Jump in and have fun, because most of us are, and enjoy your new toy because you sound excited. Smile.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,141 Posts
T2SHOOTER is right. You are shooting more in the FITA style. Here is the link to the FITA Forum http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=24

Take a look over there. There are some really good folks. There is also more of a form focus on the FITA side. If you are serious about learning to shoot, then that is a great place to go. If you decide to take your sight off, you may still like it there. I am a FITA barebow shooter and spent a lot of time of the FITA forum. There is no problem getting all the input you can. Continue to hang around here as well. You are still at the beginning of the journey. Who know what direction you end up following.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ohhhh I see I was unaware of what FITA was exactly. Thanks for the link. I'll just repost this over on that subforum thanks!

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,141 Posts
FITA is the international governing body of Olympic archery. The name was recently changed to World Archery. In the US is it USA Archery. This is where the sight shooters hang out, though I shoot FITA without a sight in the barebow division, basically, an Olympic bow without the sight, stabilizer and draw check device (aka clicker). There are not many of us shooting FITA barebow in this country.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK yeah that makes sense now. I was confused with the names, because the coach wanted me to join USA Archery, then I saw World Archery and FITA and got lost. Thanks for the explanation. So this traditional forum is for like shooting without all the fancy add ons like sights and stabilizers and stuff?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yes, Traditional is a simple bare bow,
they shoot there bow at an angle and shoot in a instinctive method.
That doesn't mean your not welcome around here though far from it.

·
Civil but Disobedient
7,141 Posts
FITA is a French acronym, like FIBA for international basketball and FIFA for soccer (aka football). If you want to shoot a full Olympic bow with sight, stabilizer and draw check then World Archery, FITA, is the place for you. There is a good FITA program in Arizona. Check out the Arizona State Archery Association. I was just there a few weeks ago at Ursery Park in Mesa shooting the AZ State FITA Field Championships. www.azarchery.com. California and Arizona have an annual competition against each other in November. It is called the Duel in the Desert. It is lots of fun. You can shoot it even if you are not on one of the state teams. Brady Ellison comes from AZ. He is the best Olympic shooter in the US.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts