Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I seem to have posted in the wrong subforum first time around, so going to try this again.

So 5 weeks ago I started a 1 hour, once a week archery 101 class. Pretty hooked on it so far, yesterday was the last class, but I bought the bow the coach recommended and plan to continue going and join the archery club that he also does. I bought the SF Axiom Plus with 28lb SF limbs and I opted to get some Easton Carbon One arrows over the cheaper aluminum ones he recommended. I didn't really research anything online before hand (which is natural for me) so really just wanted to see what some unbiased people had to say. The riser, limbs, sight, string, fingertab and arrows all total came out to around $400 after tax and they built the arrows and tuned the bow for me so that was cool. I hope I made a decent investment.

Anyways is there anything else I need to think about buying anytime soon? I just picked up this quiver, because it was cheaper than the ones in the proshop and looked ok.

Are there any youtubers that are popular? Also, I did notice that it seemed somewhat difficult to find reviews about gear and such, what are some good sites that post articles/reviews about equipment?

The rental bows we were using in class were 22lb but because I apparently have an abnormally long draw when I was selecting limbs/arrows they didn't actually have any arrows that would fit me properly with the 20lb SF limbs I was going to get, something about not having stiff enough arrows that long or something I'm not entirely sure the technical bit behind it. Suffice to say the 28lb limbs I ended up with are probably a little on the stiff side for prolonged shooting for me right now, but I'm going to try and go often to build up some endurance. The rentals also had the little rubber finger things on the string, so today was my first day shooting with a finger tab and it felt really weird and different but I think it probably needs to get broken in or something. Anyways I got the bow sighted in at 10 meters and then moved back to 20 meters to take a few shots before I had to go back to work.

Heres my 2nd group at 20 meters. I think thats pretty ok for using a new bow weight and new finger tab thing. I'm not really sure what a 'good' group is for a beginner. That was all I had time for since had to go back to work

(All the rest of those holes are not mine lol)
http://i.imgur.com/oaKusk6.jpg

And heres just a shot of the bow and everything
http://i.imgur.com/rhqedq9.jpg

Anyways sorry if this post was a bit scattered, its getting late here. Let me know what you guys think

Thanks,
-AA

·
Desert Island Trading Co.
4,757 Posts
congrats on your new bow and setup. Looks like it shoots good.

the class and coach will be more beneficial than any youtube videos at this stage for you. Also shooting with others will make it very fun.

Chris

·
GIS guy
1,722 Posts
I might add that you should consider getting a copy of "Archery" by USA Archery. On Amazon, it's like $17 for the paperback and worth every penny. If you hear someone tell you something contradictory to what is instructed in that book, you should probably not take advice from that person.

Like Chris said, a knowledgeable coach will be of much greater value to you right now than watching YouTube videos. Having said that, you could check out the Performance Archery videos by Alistair Whittingham. He doesn't teach exactly what USA Archery does, but it's far better than most recurve "instructional" videos on YouTube. Definitely do not use the Howcast archery videos on YouTube - there are lots of fairly serious problems in them that are called out as "perfect form". Alistair is much, much more correct.

Be careful what advice you accept (YouTube videos, for example are frequently wrong). In fact, with Olympic style recurve bows, even a lot of archery shops don't provide proper advice or instruction. I'd recommend at least checking USA Archery's website for a coach in your area. A USA Archery certification is not a guarantee that they'll teach you 100% correctly, but it's a pretty safe starting point.

Good Luck!

-Kent W.

·
Premium Member
5,316 Posts
AA,

Congrats and welcome! And good shooting - that's a good looking target!!

I also like, in the 'gear' photo, your obvious 'bent' toward being precise, in how the gear is so meticulously laid out. That is a clue to someone who will be well suited for this sport.

My opinion - 175 - 200 (FITA Barebow, multi-color face, 60 arrows) is a good goal for a new adult archer to put in front of him/herself. Once there, then 225 Barebow is quite good shooting and is a good interim goal; 250 Barebow is REALLY good shooting.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'll go against grain here and suggest a few youtube accounts. Can't link as I'm at work and they don't allow Youtube but NUSensei has several videos about the differences in equipment, but he's in Australia so some of his comments on price don't line up. Also Christian Haensell and Performance Archery have some solid videos. A real life coach is best but I found those helpful.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Like the others said go use a real life coach, YouTube for the most part sucks for instructional stuff. Don't worry about score as a beginner just worry about your form, as your form gets better your score will drastically increase. other than that just practice, then practice some more, and then keep practicing. There will be up and down periods, when in a slump just relax and have fun, you'll overcome it eventually.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
On equipment, I find it helpful to read the reviews on LAS, google the item, and ask around if you can help it. Read close and see if a potential negative might apply to you. Often enough, when I buy something, I eventually find at least one "con" from the reviews true for me. If it's generally a good item, it balances out positive. But if you ignore a bunch of reviews saying it has x, y, and z wrong with it, sometimes it turns out a dud.

I watched a few of the NuSensei videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/NUSensei) when I was looking for something else, and I think it's useful beginner education, particularly on etiquette and equipment basics. If you're looking for form stuff, I'd really just get a coach. Seeing something done, or even wanting to do something, is not the same thing as having it explained how such that you can execute it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies! I had been watching NUSensei to try and get some info on what gear is what and how things generally work. Ill check out that Archery book as well. I just got back from vacation today and went back to the range for the last day of the beginner class, and got to shoot my new bow for about an hour. This was my grouping at 20 meters today http://i.imgur.com/S0TXd3L.jpg - definitely an improvement! There's a tournament next week for the beginner and intermediate students with a cash prize and I've signed up for it. In order to join the adult club at the range I have to be a member of USA Archery so probably going to get that done pretty soon too so I can continue lessons with the coach there.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The new Archery Fundamentals book by Teresa Johnson is a good resource for anyone starting out in archery. It is a little less to digest than the Archery book, and is very well written for beginners.

Definitely worth having the Archery book too... and Rick McKinney's Simple Art of Winning... and Bernie Pellerite's Idiot Proof Archery... and... well, you get the idea.

Welcome to the addiction. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts