Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to archery and a friend of mine took me bowfishing and just got hooked.

I recently found a compound bow in my dad's storage closet(i think this one was gifted to him?) and saw that some of the screws were rusted and I wanted to replace them. I do not know what model/year it is. I tried looking for the serial number but couldnt find it. All i can see is that it says Alpine Micro, and a sticker with the "specs".

I am just looking specifically for one set of pieces. I am not sure what it is called. I went to a local archery shop and they told me it was a Cam post.
If I were to explain what it is, it is the "notch" or anchor in where the cable holds on to on the cam. I talked to the archery shop guys and they told me that any cam post/anchor should do the work.

its a 2 piece set one being the screw holding it in place and the other one looks like a pulley wheel(sort of)

The rest I have been able to find them at my local hardware store.

Just trying to have a good time bowfishing without worries of rusted parts. :)

20160410_194105.jpg 20160410_194059.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
I would just replace the countersunk screw with one of stainless steel. It's probably a standard size, like 8x32 or something like that. As for the post itself? While it's apart just polish it up a bit to smooth it out. It's just surface rust and shouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would just replace the countersunk screw with one of stainless steel. It's probably a standard size, like 8x32 or something like that. As for the post itself? While it's apart just polish it up a bit to smooth it out. It's just surface rust and shouldn't hurt anything.
If i wanted to replace the whole thing, where could I find posts? i have tried looking online and cannot seem to find any.

Also one of the screws is rusted pretty good and wont budge. I almost stripped the screw any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
Alpine Archery is still in business. Your best bet is to call them.

Also, note that on their website, there is a recall posted for certain Micros. You'll need the SN to figure out if this bow is one of them.

You might want to look into this.

Allen

·
--------------
1,824 Posts
You might contact alpine archery, they might still have parts for that bow since they made it up until at least 2010 and it was a pretty reasonable youth/starter bow that went out to a 28" draw length. Alpine isn't a very common brand (at least anywhere around me) but you could also look and see if there is a dealer near you.

Most shops that carry a brand collect parts that they don't end up using but hardly ever get rid of, they might have what you need.

·
--------------
1,824 Posts
Also, nothing on the pics you posted looked broken just rusty. You could take it to a archery shop and see if they will take strings and cables off for you. You could then take the bolts out and go to the local hardware store and get new of what you can and clean up what you can't.

From the pics it could probably use the axles being cleaned and lubed as well. A cheap tube of wax for the string would be a good thing also. If your archery shop is good they can tell/show you what you need to do to maintain you bow.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
I tried looking for the SN but couldnt find it. where is it usually located?
Sometimes they hide them pretty good. It will be someplace on the riser. Maybe under the limbs, in which case, you will need a press to see it. Check with Alpine. They can tell you.

One other thing, do NOT use ordinary hardware store nuts and bolts, even if they fit. They are not strong enough to be safe for compound bows. The manufacturers use a high strength bolts where there is stress. I'm not sure what they use, but you can't buy them anywhere easy, except a dealer.

Allen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back to the stuck rusted screw. what could i do to help it get unstuck? ive heard wd40? CLR cleaner?

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
Back to the stuck rusted screw. what could i do to help it get unstuck? ive heard wd40? CLR cleaner?
There used to be a product called "Liquid Wrench". Let is soak in and it worked great on rusted or corroded screws.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
There used to be a product called "Liquid Wrench". Let is soak in and it worked great on rusted or corroded screws.
When you remove the cable post, be sure to put your bow in a bow press. The cable is under tension and if you remove the cable post without relaxing the tension, you could get hurt. It's extremely rare, but people have died from doing this type of work without the right tools.

·
Registered
8,997 Posts
You have to press the bow to take these screws out. Get the best penetrating oil that you can find and let it soak for a few days. You are playing with fire when you try to take out corroded screws. Be prepared to buy new cams and modules if you destroy them. PB blaster is a good penetrating oil.

Good luck with making a functional bow pretty. Also like mentioned install another e clip on the cam axel.

If you want screws that don't corrode contact firenock and get some of his titanium screws. Again be prepared to spend some money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts