Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from the State of New Jersey. My 15 year-old son and I just started to attend archery on Friday nights together and I would like some input on buying a compound bow. I am interseted in a 50-60lb., 29 inch draw range target bow for both of us. I saw a PSE Mach 11 for sale with vector cams that looked interesting for $300 dollars. Would this be a good bow to start with? Is $300 dollars a fair price for a used Mach 11? If not what would be some suggestions.

Thanks,
FatBoy77

·
Banned
8,395 Posts
welcome to AT. try posting your question in General Archery discussion. you will get lots of replys there.:)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Also depending on where in NJ you are, there are a couple of good shops just across the line in eastern PA that would be worthy of checking out.

·
Registered
10,990 Posts
While the bow in question sounds decent if you are truly interested in getting into archery and want to shoot successfully I would locate a good pro-shop and have them set you up right. There are a TON of variables with bows and the chances of a used one fitting you perfectly (and it MUST fit perfectly) are slim. I would look for one of the more mildly priced new bows on the market and save used equipment buying until you have more experience.

Depending on what you want to do with your bow (hunting, target, field, 3d, etc.) will depend on what bow is appropriate. There are a bunch of good options out there for not a ton of money. The new Martin Bengal is the same amount of money as the Mach 11 you are looking at. The Bear line-up of bows is quite good too and very reasonably priced. The Reflex series from Hoyt is another great option. PSE makes some decent lower-end bows and the Diamond line from Bowtech is quite popular too. You don't need to break the bank but I would start out with new stuff so you can insure having some fun.

Also, most people start out their archery life being self-taught. I can HIGHLY recommend taking some lessons from a qualified instructor. I can't recommend Larry Wise strongly enough. You are not that far from Lancaster Archery in Lancaster, PA (not a bad place to go to look for a new bow). Larry does a group clinic there all the time. The method he will teach you will take some practice but it is better then teaching yourself, devleoping a bunch of bad habits and then getting frustrated and either quitting or starting over again later on. If you are a new archer it would be MUCH better to learn the right way starting out and take a bit longer to come up to speed but be WAAAAY better off in the long run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts