Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to this sport. Picked up my first bow a few weeks ago - a Diamond Razor Edge. This was also the first time I have ever shot a compound bow. I think I could really get into this and my accuracy (for a beginner) was not too bad. I set up a little shooting area in my basement with "The Block" target and have been shooting about 10-15 arrows every evening.

I need some advice on improving my bow as I continue to practice and get ready for Fall hunting season. When I was at the shop buying my bow, I had the salesmen add a few improvements. They changed out the peep sight it came with to a 5MM Radical and added a Limbsaver S-Coil Stabilizer. I bought a Scott Sabertooth release and a half-dozen Gold Tip arrows with 100-gr field tips. I relied totally on the advice of the salesmen for these purchases, so I hope I made good decisions. Both seemed like they knew what they were talking about.

They also suggested at some point I change out the cheap plastic sight the bow came with to a better version. I would like to do this now rather than later so I can get used to the new sight as I practice. They suggested a Montana Black Flashpoint, but it seems like there are several models to pick from. Is Montana Black a good brand? What model would you suggest I buy? Should I consider a different sight?

What about the arrow rest? It comes with one, but should I change this out to something a little better or is this really a non-essential piece of equipment?

Next, arrows. Is Goldtip a good choice? What arrow would YOU recommend? The salesman suggested 2" vanes over 4", but said there were good arguments for both. The Goldtips I bought had 2" vanes. I would like to hear some opinions on this. Also, how many arrows should I have on hand to practice with and get ready for hunting?

What kind of broadheads would you suggest for hunting? I don't need to get these right away, but I would like to start taking a look at them.

Finally, what other accessories would you suggest I look at - either for the bow itself, or for getting in the field and hunting? What about maintenance? I bought some string wax - how often should I apply this?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

· Registered
983 Posts
Welcome to AT and the bow addiction. I got a late start in this sport being a rifle hunter most my life, but I really enjoy the challenge. I'll answer some of your questions since I have a similar setup.

For hunting there's nothing wrong with the Cobra sights and the Hostage rest that came with your Diamond Edge. Keep things simple and save your money for now. Both the sights and rest work just fine. They'll do their job if you do yours. Also, the arrows are good provided the weight is compatible to your bow and for hunting.

Broadheads... Muzzys, SlickTricks, Montec, Stingers will all do the job. I'm not a fan of mechanical BH's like Rages, but that's just me.

String wax... lots of opinions on how often to wax your strings. It will depend on how often your shoot your bow and how much you shoot. It's good to keep those strings waxed sufficiently.

I generally shoot 40-50 arrows at least 3 times a week. You can PM me if I can help you an some way.

· Registered
2,288 Posts
You will find a lot of answer to questions you may have right here on AT. The search tool on here can be a beginning archers best friend. I know it was for me anyway. The more you learn the more questions you are going to have and there a lot of good people on here who will help make it a little less confusing. Good luck with the new bow and welcome.

· Registered
86 Posts
As to your question about the Montana sights. The Montana sight is an outstanding and quality sight. If you decide to go this route you won't regret it. As for the rest. It is a very essential part of equipment. You will get many opinions on what to use. I use the Limb Driver fall away rest which is a great rest. Many people like the Whisker Biscuit. Many to choose from.

· Speed Thrills and Kills
4,763 Posts
you got some good replys so ill throw mine in.......welcome to an addiction....your gonna love it...the more you learn and the more you read and watch other archers is going to pay huge in your experience and shooting....as far as your equiptment...your on the right track with some good stuff....the Gold Tip Arrows are a very good arrow and i used to shoot them a lot and most of my family still does nothing wrong with them at all.
as far as sights go there are a ton on the market and all are pretty good but some have more features than the others which makes them a little more pricy...you can go from a basic sight thats $25 to a top of the line in the $200 range...is it needed not really but its nice to have...a sight i would recomend is a Tru Glo Extreem its a fairly cheap sight but built very well
as far as rests go most like a Drop Aray rest..i use a Vapor Trail Limbdriver and love it but my back up bow i had last year i had a Wisker buisket on it and it worked great..they are fairly cheap and work very well....i assume your bow was a package deal and being a Diamond its got a Octane Hostage rest..which are a very good rest...the problem with them is after some shooting the brushes on the bottom wear out and need replaced...the more you shoot the quicker they will wear. for starting out look at the Wisker Buisket.
the S Coli is a great stabilizer its what i have on my current bow now and had one on the last one and they are great.
as far as other acceories you can go hog wild with all kinds of stuff but the main thing i will say is get a good quiver...i have 2 a TreeLimb Premium and also a Alpine Soft loc which are both great quivers....the Alpine new are like $50....i actually have mine up for sale if your interested
other stuff as far as accy. jsut look around and talk to some other archers at your pro shop they can piont you in the right direction
with Broad heads its the same way as most things you get what you pay for...i have no problem what so ever with Mechanicles but theres only a few i like and thos are the Slip cam style like the Rocky Mountain Snypers and Rages..very good Mech i shot a doe last year with the Snypers i have and it looked like she had been shot with a cannon there was so much blood...the rage is the same principal as the Snypers but larger cutting area....but i do also like fixed blade heads....i shoot Slick Tricks or Montechs......both great heads...but the Slick Tricks you can replace the blades vs just sharpening them so they are pretty good but whatch yourself they are scary nasty sharp.
the only thing with Fixed heads is they require your bow to be tuned a lot more than a Mech....thats one reason a lot shoot Mech..including family of mine..because they dont take the time to properly tune their bow...now if your pro shop can help you in tuning your bow i would strongly suggest this....but i also wouldnt be afraid to get it "close" and use a good Mech head either
i wax my string often but not a ton...use good wax. apply it liberally and rub it in....i have actually seen guys put it on and use a hair dryer on it to melt it into the string but this can also cause your string to streach to so i dont do that.
hope this helps some.....the best thing to do is read anything you can get ahold of as far as hunting and archery info.....the best thing i ever did was get some videos when i started out and watched them over and over again....watch everything...where the arrow goes in the deer at diffrent angles stand placements.equiptment ideas and so on...you can get a lot of info from there...also magazines...at one time i think i had 4-5 comming every month they are also another great source of info

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.