Archery Talk Forum banner

New to archery talk, sort of disabled archer

1413 15
Hi I'm new to archery talk and only been shooting seriously about 6 months or so. I shot when I was a kid but then got into speed skating. I have since found out I have Crohn's disease and had to have spine surgery about 4 years ago due to all the training and competition while I didn't know I was sick. So now I'm back to recurve archery! and I love it! I'm still a belly dancer and fire performer and am a paralegal during the day to support my archery habit.

I got my own bow in September, PSE X-factor riser 25", 26# Challenger carbon limbs, 28" draw length so about 28# pull. Cartel plunger and clicker, beiter stabilizer. still working out what everything means in terms of equipment, but I received a present of Carbon Express Nano-XR arrows, and yes, I did cry my eyes out.

I'm working on getting to 30# of pull, but my shoulder hurts from the arthritis that the Crohn's gives me if I over do it too much. Is there anyone out there who has to deal with pain issues secondary to a condition that affects how you shoot? How do you deal with it? My low back is usually a problem and the digestive issues aren't fun when I get stressed, especially around competition time. I want to go all the way and maybe be a Paralympian, and was hoping for some guidance from someone who's already been there or maybe working on the same thing now.

Well, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Lindsey Carmichael

Hey, as far as handling pain while shooting, I would suggest reading up on Lindsey Carmichael. (http://www.lindseycarmichael.com/ and http://usparalympics.org/athlete/athlete/1949) She won us a bronze medal in these past paralympic games. Her dad has posted on archerytalk a few times so hopefully he will stop by to maybe answer some of your questions.

hope that helps
: )

Registered

Registered
If you're looking to get speed and distance with a light draw weight (where you are now, or even drop down a bit), you might check out the Carbon Tech MKII arrows. They're pretty much the lightest things out there, while still maintaining a respectably small cross section.

While I love my Nano XRs, they'd be awfully hard to get distance with with a lower draw weight.

Registered
FG,

I can relate to some of your problems as I have 5 herniated discs in the low back and just found out all that crunching in my shoulders is advanced arthritis (LOL).

Proper warm up is vital and injury specific warm up exercises would be best learned from a sports therapist. The other thing I have come to understand is to not train or practice through the pain, which was standard accepted procedure when I was younger. I'm not talking about the every day pain folks like us deal with all the time but an increase in the normal pain level. When it start's getting worse I have learned to stop. The body is trying to tell you something and you need to listen to the message.

The only other thing I would tell you I suspect you already know...don't give up. (smile)

Dave

Registered
Welcome!
The more recurve archers the better =)

Registered
Welcome

Welcome aboard. You will find here some of the nicest people and everyone is willing to answer your questions. Be patient with yourself, work on things as you can and be sure to post with us, again welcome and glad you here. Gar.

Registered
Regardless of whether you end up classified as a para archer, congratulations on choosing an excellent sport. TO be a paralympic archer, there are a set of criteria that the classifiers go through to determine your qualifications. Not painful, but VERY exacting.

I'd be honored and deee-lighted to talk with you on the phone about various and sundry aspects, answer your questions, what ever. I live in central Texas, that's CST - if you want, please PM me with a number or I can send you mine if you want me to. You can also just send an email to the webmaster at TexasArchery.org
Lindsey wrote something neat para-wise awhile back - it is on the Documents page of the TSAA website, near the top. "Inconvenienced" You'll probly enjoy it so please let me know. ?
Ron, (R.Ph.)

Premium Member
Welcome!

I'm new to the sport, and have found some great folks to shoot with at Kennesaw Archery Club,
http://www.kennesawarchery.org/calendar.htm
I can't get there much, but its fun when I do. PM me if you're not familiar with the club and or want to know more. Some of the folks there may be able to advise you better than I. They have a strong recurve program, and some excellent coaches. Peace.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much everyone!! It's nice to know that our community is so supportive! I just moved up to about 32# on my bow and my fingers are taking a beating, but that's to be expected. Just had the nerve damage in my back act up and my left heel feels like I'm walking on razor blades if I put my heel down. But I still shot pretty well even with all that going on yesterday! I'm going to always make sure that I warm up and stretch properly and listen to my body if something feels really bad.

Again thank you to all the people who PM'd me about this, it is much appreciated!

Registered
I just moved up to about 32# on my bow and my fingers are taking a beating, but that's to be expected.
I don't know that is "to be expected" that you must shoot that many pounds. Even at 70 meters, 28 to 30 pounds can deliver an arrow, though it does exaggerate flaws in the archer's form. Practice and training does not require that you shoot all tens. It is mainly to improve your form and technique. Shooting overbowed is a major major problem in our society. I know nothing of your overall physique and abilities, but if it hurts, I would sure evaluate whether your poundage is a factor that should be adjusted to mitigate. If an archer injures herself, she can't participate in the sport. And where's the fun in that? Bon Chance, Good Luck, and train smart.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.