Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hunting/ shooting compounds for about 3 yrs now. I am interested into expanding into a Traditional style recurve bow, but really do not know anything about them. What would be a good book, Cd-Rom, video to get to inform me. Also what would make a good bow, bow brand,....to look for, for my first recurve bow. I would like to be able to use it for hunting aswell as for taget shooting. thanks.

Aggiehuntsman

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would suggest a bit longer bow to start with, maybe 60-62" long. The longer bows are generally easier to shoot and more forgiving of errors in style or release. If this would be your first effort at traditional archery I suggest a simple bow, perhaps a Martin or a Bear recurve, something along the 200-250$ range. When I first started this glorious sport I didnt have any books or videos, just shot my bow until my arms hurt everyday, learning something nearly everyday. I recd. the most info. and help from local people who were already hunting and shooting traditional. Its my opinion that "one on one" advice and help is invaluable when you start out, and even later in. The biggest thing you need to remeber is to try not to get upset when those pesky arrows miss your intended target, it all takes time and lots of it. But, I promise you will fall right in love with every aspect over time.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
One thing I think you will want to do is to go easy on the draw weight. I would suggest something in the 40# to 50# range. Remember that with a traditional bow you are going to be holding that weight; there is no let-off as in a compound.

Another thing is that you are going to have to arrange for easy access to a range (I have a 40 yard range in my back yard) as you'll wind up spending alot more time practicing with a traditional bow than with a compound (especially as I expect you'll want to learn to shoot "instinctively" - that is without sights).

I should warn you that if you put a range in your backyard you could find yourself seriously addicted to this sport...... :D
I have even installed flood lights so that I can keep practicing after dark!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I would gtry to find a good used martin hunter in 45 lb peak weight range and as a ata of 62 inch long. I would suggest a book called become the arrow on shooting, it sure helped me. But key is get a bow you can handle, I was shooting 66 lbs with my compound and 45 lbs was just right for me to start with, remember no letoff...I also suggest wood arrows, as they can take the misses, alum bends and carbon is hgh dollar as you will lose more than break arrows... start shooting at 10 yards and have fun..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

Thanks for all the info. I think i will start with a 62" recurve @ 50#. The draw weight is no problem for me, and i would like to eventualy hunt with it. I have done a web search for Check Mate bows and the cheapest ones are in Canada shipped to Texas. Do ya'll know of a distributer who can match the Canadian price for these bows? Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
One more thing Sean, I know you didn't ask but it kind of goes together and that is wood arrows. Quality wise, it is better to have top quality arrows and an average quality bow than the other way around. I confess that I have not given every arrow maker a chance but I have found that the best of four companies I have tried are:

3Rivers Archery: http://www.3riversarchery.com/
and
Northwest Archery: http://www.nwarchery.com/door/

These arrows are very high quality and very accurate. Also, they are not the most expensive. Northwest Archery arrows are made by Suzanne St. Charles and are best described as ridiculously accurate. The off-the-shelf basic arrows go for $45/dozen, have tapered shafts - 5/16 nocks- and will stand up to the rain. 3Rivers arrows are about $55/doz. and are not tapered but may well be a better choice for hunting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got my first recurve yesterday. Bought it off e-bay for a starter recurve bow. The serial number is 58" 45# recurve bow no. 22r5763. The seller was not sure if it was browning or darton. Since i did not want to spend alot to try out traditional archery i figured this would be the best way to go. Would ya'll know of a place i could contact to place the serial number of this bow? I would like to know what year it is or brand.....The bow seemed to be in good condition...but will realy find out in a few days. Kitsap, thank you for the information on the arrows. i will probly order some in the next couple of days. The arrows really are not that expensive, i seem to always pay more for my alumn. arrows for my compound. Plus the wooden arrows look much better. thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts