Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

First of all, thanks for all the great info so far.

I just received two Hoyt Ultra Elite bows today after about 4 weeks of waiting (29" draw with 60-70# pull on both). I am new to archery and bought one for my son and I, who have never even shot compound bows before. I am not sure where to start with the sites and other accessories. I think we will mainly be shooting targets outdoors.

What type of arrows and accessories would you use?

Thanks,
Eric

·
(aka lug nut)
48,345 Posts
esparky2000 said:
Hello all,

First of all, thanks for all the great info so far.

I just received two Hoyt Ultra Elite bows today after about 4 weeks of waiting (29" draw with 60-70# pull on both). I am new to archery and bought one for my son and I, who have never even shot compound bows before. I am not sure where to start with the sites and other accessories. I think we will mainly be shooting targets outdoors.

What type of arrows and accessories would you use?

Thanks,
Eric
Hello Eric:

Welcome to Archery Talk.

The accessories will depend on the type of shooting you plan to do.

Since you plan to shoot targets outdoors,
you have two choices for a target sight.

Once choice is a pin sight.
The pin sight is used in the bow hunter class,
and you are limited to a maximum front stabilizer of 12-inches in length,
and no magnification on the sight, and no rear stabilizers, if you choose to enter a tournament some day in the future.

The other choice is a sliding target sight with a scope (magnifying lens).
A sliding target sight puts you in the freestyle class and you can use any length of front stabilizer, and rear stabilizers (side rods).

You have several choices for an arrow rest.
You can look in the drop away arrow rests. A drop away arrow rest gives you maximum fletching clearance.

You can also consider the blade launcher arrow rest. A blade launcher arrow rest has ZERO moving parts and is the choice of quite a few professional target shooters.

Then, you have a choice to shoot the compound bow with fingers
or with a release.

Since you and your son have never shot a compound bow before,
try to find a coach to give you a starter lesson or two.

If that's not an option,
then read everything you can here on ArcheryTalk.

I also highly suggest you purchase the DVD,
Straight Talk from Michael Braden.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/sho...in_description=1&inc_subcat=1&keywords=braden

He covers much of the basics.

After you view Michael Braden's DVD,
then you will better understand the basics,
and you will better understand how to ask a particular question.

Lots of very experienced shooters here on AT can help you
and your son with any and all aspects of enjoying compound archery.

nuts&bolts.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Nuts & Bolts is the voice of experience, and one to be listened to. As a relative newbie, I am not (only 2 years), I can only add one thing. Check out archery clubs in your area. If you find a good one, they are probably dollar for dollar the best investment you can make. They are usually from fairly affordable to down right cheap (our family membership is about $40 a year). More important than the varied shooting opportunities they provide, you will find a lot of good folks who will be happy to lend advice and help along the way. Just be prepared to do a little sweating on "work days" and to get involved. I've come a long way in two years, and I didn't do it by myself.

·
crossbows are archery :)
7,063 Posts
all good advise

I had the teaching from my father, but we would goto the local club and shoot. I learned from the older guys there. Most fellow archers are more than willing to help ya. I know my club has a sign up board if anyone wanted/needed help. Good luck and welcome to wide world of archery. WARNING this is addictive stuff! Also look for a "local" pro shop, I mean one that has been there a few years, I made friends with the techs at my local shop and there advise has helped in the past. No WAL-Mart type stores.
Koz:tongue:

·
NC ASA Director
35,983 Posts
Are you guys gearing up more for 3D rubber deer shooting or field type shooting on paper?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts