Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I'm very new to archery and even newer to this board. I recently bought a Parker Stealth for what I thought was a fair price, I have a few questions so the guy who sold me the bow told me this would be a good place to come and learn.

My brother who lives in Tucson is an avid PSE shooter, he gave me his old Robin Hood bow which was his first bow. Since I got the Parker I gave the Robin Hood to a friend of mine who has also never shot a bow before.

My first question has to do with draw length, I'm at 30 inches, on the Robin Hood I put an ultra knock on when I brother bought me a release for my b-day. It's a Cobra Caliber release, some have told me I might not want to use the ultra knock because of what it does to my draw length it might be better to put the release right on the bow string but others have told me that you want as little on the bow string as possible because the more thats on the bow string the more there is to mess with the accuracy of the shot. I guess it also adds consistency if you don't put the release on the string and the string will eventually get worn out putting the release right on the bow string. Oters have told me that a release loop is the way to go cause it doesn't have the impact on the feet/pr sec that the loop does but I also heard they stretch and eventually get worn out? With all this conflicting info I'm not sure which is right, any thoughts?

Also, just exactly how long should I cut my arrows, my dad makes his own golf clubs and easton makes shafts for those as well so he told me how to cut the shafts properly and how to use the proper tools for them. What he doesn't know is how long should they be cut, I'm thinking they should be cut to my draw lenght or right at 30 inches, but I want to make sure this is proper thinking before I start cutting. Also the shafts of the arrows almost seems like physics to me, as I understand it the number (for ex. 2216) the outer number (22) is the diameter of the outside of the arrow and the 16 is the inside diameter? Is that right? and I was using 2216 arrows with the Robin Hood, it was a very slow bow, can I just use those same arrows with the Parker, How do I know what is the right arrow for me?

I guess that's it for now since this post is getting long, I got lots more though if you guys don't mind teaching a novice like me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Find you a local pro shop & make their acquaintance. They will be able to answer your questions & help you get your bow setup properly.

·
Banned
636 Posts
Lopeha makes a good point..........

The best place to start is a good PRO shop.

I would first start out by finding your drawlenght, check this link..http://www.edersbow.com/publication/daily/20000315/

It has helped countless archers shoot better and make everything about this sport more enjoyable.

Also, try doing a couple searches with your inquires, there is a wealth of info in the archives here at AT.

Good luck and WELCOME!

·
Registered
488 Posts
i would say the same as the others..find a pro shop and they should be able to help answer your questions and get you set up properly.and you got a Parker!good for you,i hope you like it.i am an avid parker fan.i think they make great bows.good luck,and let us know how you make out!:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I tried the pro shop route though and there is really only one within any sort of distance from me. Its not really an archery shop so much as it is an outdoor shop, lots of camping, fishing, scuba, kyak (sp?) etc...etc... really big , lots of volume, plenty of time for customers who are buying, not so much for those who just have questions. I went in and asked them for the module to extend the draw length of the bow and he said that a module wouldn't help and there were just so much he could do without having to put on a whole new cam. This guy sells Parker's exclusively and didn't know all I needed was a module I figured my best bet would be to bring my questions to the internet where a lot of people can give input instead of just one or two people who think they know more than they do.

·
Banned
636 Posts
http://www.centershotarchery.com/

This shop is about an hour drive from you, It might be worth a drive to find out if there are some clubs closer to you. I cannot say if this is a good pro shop or not, I just did a quick search and this is the one I found.

I will keep looking for one closer and let you know.

Good luck.

·
Banned
636 Posts
A TO Z SPORTSMAN

6228 MONROE ST.

NEW PT. RICHEY, FL 34653

727-849-7245

·
Registered
488 Posts
wildrover, if you can let me know exactly what module you need,i'll mail one to you..that way,when you get to a pro shop,you'll have the parts ready to go,and you wont have to worry about it.you can email me @[email protected] if you are interested..oh,did i mention? no charge..this ones on me:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jim, thanks for the help. I had never even heard of those shops and although New Port Richey is a little drive it is hardly unreasonable. I new this internet thing was a good idea. Although, I'm a little worried that the best info about my area comes from Ohio and not that "World Famous" shop I went into (Not naming names but it is in St. Petersburg)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts