Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a Ben Pearson Recurve. 58" 40xx 28" draw.
I have never shot a recurve, only a compound.
What kind of string and arrows should I use. And what advice do you have for me?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
You might get more responses if you post this in the traditional section.:) Good Luck, and welcome to archery. I have no idea what to tell you for a stick bow.:confused:

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Hello there!!

First off welcome to the great world of archery and to Archery Talk.com :D .....You're gonna have a blast....

Ok, first thing you said it was an "old" Pearson recurve..You will want to shoot a Dacron string....the bow will more than likely split at the tips if you shoot a fastflite string......just a thought.....

Arrows will depend on your draw length....Probably your best bet would be some Easton aluminum shafts to get you started, but like I said, size will dependon your draw length.....

Best advice I can give you.....and take this to heart....just have fun, just have fun, just have fun:D...................PUG

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
old recurve

First of all, WELCOME to the greatest sport on earth !
What are your goals in this sport, other than having fun ?
Determine your draw length by measuring your wing span, finger tip to finger tip, then subtract 15 from the measurement and then divide the answer by 2. The answer will be within 1/2" of your draw length, which depends on weather your fingers are short, long or average length.
A recurve is a finger bow which depends on the archer to draw to the exact same draw length in order to maintain accuracy on any given distance.
Good recurve shooters use a device called a "clicker" to maintain consistant draw length. A clicker, also called a "draw check", is a wire which is attached to the sight bar or the bow riser that is placed on the arrow before drawing and when you draw and the arrow passes past the wire, the wire falls off the arrow and hits a plate on the bow riser or the sight bar which then makes a noise, CLICK, and the subconcious mind releases the arrow. The "clicker" is what gives you the consistant draw length and the subconcious mind training is what can make make you a great or above average archer.
You can use "search" for related topics or post questions.

My web site has links to shooting form, arrow release and much more. Just click on the URL and you can even put it in your favorites folder.

Answer these questions please.
Does your recurve have a hole for a cushion plunger ?
Can a sight be mounted on the riser ? If so, where ?

You can PM mee i9f you wish.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Broken arrow....This is not an FITA style recurve....I'll bet on no plunger hole or sight holes....this one will need to be shot instinctive (or what many want to call instinctive).

58" bow is a little short...may get some finger pinch, but not a terrible ATA (had a kid in last night with the same style pearson...52" ATA.....ouch).

Get to a pro shop....have them check the bow out...older recurves have a tendency of having twisted limbs.....it all depends on how it was stored....if in the attic!!!!!!OUCH!!! Twisted limbs.

String....B-50...stay away from Fast Flite...The old pearsons really don't like it (personal experience).

Arrows....Easton aluminums....at first...cheap as possible until you decide to stay with it....then spend money on some quality woods or better quality aluminum.

Welcome to a great part of Archery....Traditional shooting is great....but keep one thing in mind....you NEED TO PRACTICE...my advice is daily.....it's impossible to be a good trad shooter unless you are willing to practice that much....daily.

Good luck to you.
maco12
:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts