Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kids started out with toy amazon bows and liked it, so this week I went to the local archery shop and I picked up my 9 year old a used lightning edge junior and my 14 year old a used bear (not sure what model) since buying them bows and setting up 15 20 and 25 yard targets in my yard I have become interested. I am not a hunter. Whatever I pickup will mostly be used in my yard or on a range either indoor or outdoor. I have been looking at two options option one a new PSE Ferocity pro package and option 2 scouring the classifieds for a used target bow. The target bows are a lot more money even used than the new ferocity. The ferocity seems to have very good reviews and both of the video review I have watched said it shoots better than anything 2 or sometimes 3x the cost of the ferocity. How will this bow be for someone new that is mainly interested in target shooting? Should I buy the basic version and buy separate sights and rest? The included site is an amp micro and the rest is a phantom drop away. I don’t know anything about either of those. What release and arrows should I start with. I tried to include a link to the bow and what the pro kit is but since this is my first post I can’t post the link.

·
Registered
9,887 Posts
Welcome to AT. Glad you are taking such an interest in your children. It really doesn't matter what bow you get as long as it fits you. In your shoes I would even consider a recurve life a Samik, can be set up for under $200, simpler to maintain and set-up. I would suggest that you take some lessons so that you can teach your kids proper form as it is 99% of archery. Go and try out some intermediate level bows at an archery shop (big box stores arn't set up to give you proper instruction. If you purchase from an archery shop they should help you get shooting!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’d like to stick with a compound bow. I also plan on taking a lesson as well as the Kidd’s taking a couple. Right now learning what we can from YouTube.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
It is critical that you find a local pro shop, or better yet, find a local club and call some of their members that are listed as contact points and ask them for who in the area can help fit a bow.
It really doesn’t matter “what” bow it is (as long as not total junk) but it is crazy how important proper fit is.
A bow that doesn’t fit right will make shooting a simple source of frustration and terribly harder to find the true enjoyment that can come from shooting.
Shooting can and will always be frustrating on occasion, but good fit will determine if it is occasional or all the time frustrating and that will make it fun or not fun.
The coaching/lessons tip is also pretty good. Learning some key items the right way early will have a huge impact down the road with successful feeling shooting.
As far as that particular bow, I don’t know anything about that model, but fitting right is paramount.
Something with a decent (not huge) adjustability range can be helpful when starting out and finding your fit.
If you can’t find anyone local to help, start out with this...
Mid to low poundage and as far as draw length you can ballpark with wingspan/2.5 method. Lots of info on that on YouTube.
Enjoy the new fun, and keep it fun,espescially with the kids.
I started out the EXACT same way as you about 15 years ago with one of my kids.
Now most of the kids are grown and away from home and the wife and I travel all over to the ASA pro am events.
Quite a progression for us, from starting out with a kids bow playing in the back yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Snafu
1,420 Posts
While all of this is good advice I would add one simple thing. Make sure that the bow(s) that you decide on can grow with the child.
There are several bows that have a very wide draw length and draw weight range. Kids grow quickly and if the equipment can grow with them life is much simpler.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
If you are looking for a adult target rig for a reasonable price look at a used 2016+ PSE Supra. Easy to adjust draw length and accurate. Very nice bow and you can find them here around $450. I say stick with PSE because you don’t have to have a bow press to change DL, and I imagine you will need to tweak the DL as your form evolves.

If you “knew” your DL, I would say steal a Mathews Conquest. It’s not a speed demon, but it’s fast enough and crazy good shooter. Usually find them rigged out about $550 or bare bow around $300.

For the kids I would stick with diamond or a PSE Stiletto. Huge range of adjustability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts