Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

looking to make my own arrows, and i was wondering if there was a semi-sort of guide, or anything i can read to give me a bit of direction.

·
Registered
763 Posts
That's a great intro. Realize there are more than one way to skin a cat. (Elliot does a great job and basically says the same towards the end.)

For instance, I use Acetone instead of rubbing alcohol
I use a jo-jan fletching jig instead of the Bitzenburger.
I use a good ole *sharp* pocket knife to strip the old vanes off.

Some free bonus tips:
*Go slow, and plan on ruining a few. Take your time, the learning is half the fun. You won't actually RUIN an arrow unless you gouge it while stripping or somehow manage to snap the shaft...I'll shake your hand if you accomplish the latter:wink: lol)
*The tip about clamping the back of the vane a little off the clamp so its held closer to the shaft. LISTEN to that ONE!!! It's golden, especially if you use stiff vanes or extreme offset or helical.
*Nothing wrong with doing a mock-up to see if you got the clamp set right. Put a vane in the clamp and lay in the jig on the shaft. Look at the entire length of the vane and make sure it's touching.
*Don't rush the glue. It's pretty quick as it is, but you'll just have headaches if you rush too fast. (I recommend, heartly, Loctite SuperGlue UltraGel. It doesn't have to "fletching glue" to work fabulously.)
*If you want to use feathers, make sure you use a right wing feather with a right helical clamp or left wing feather with a left helical clamp. If the feathers aren't marked assume they're right wing.
*If you've got easily rotated nocks take care to NOT rotate them during the process. You'll screw up your "indexing"
*There's no perfect distance from the nock to place the vanes. Just keep it consistent.
*Have Fun
*Keep Q-tips, or old "feathers" handy to wipe off excess glue quickly
*Don't use TOO MUCH GLUE!!! Common mistake, use less than you think...small even bead is plenty.
*Add a "drop" of glue to the front and back of each vane when the arrow is finished.
*Go shoot your new arrows
*Have MORE Fun!:wink:
*Repeat for 2 or 3 years...then start buying FOBs:secret::BangHead::set1_rolf2:

**Always come here for answers, cuz AT is awesome!!

·
Tooth, Fang, Claw
6,266 Posts
Don't use acetone or rubbing alcohol. Use 99% Isopropol Alcohol. Acetone, "Goof-Off, or the like, will degrade carbon, and rubbing alcohol will leave an oily residue so the adhesive won't stick as well as it could. Whatever product you use to remove excess glue (laquer thinner works well), always go over the cleaned area with 92%-99% Isopropol Alcohol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts