Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Bowtech Equalizer, 2009 Hoyt Alphamax 32
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing all these threads about button bucks, QDM, food plots, trophy hunting, feeders, high fences, brown its down, etc. It gets so confusing.

I am going bow hunting for the first time this year on public federal land. No feeders, no high fences, no food plots, can't put stands or ground blinds out ahead of time, probably lots of hunters. I want to get my first deer with a bow. So.....

Doe?
Brown its down?
Young buck?
Mature buck?
Accidental button buck?

I've gotten deer with a rifle including a nice mature 9 pointer last year. I'm looking to put some venison in the freezer as my freezer failed this summer and I lost what was left of the venison from last year. So, the likelihood of waiting for a mature buck to come along is probably not the best option.

Soliciting suggestions from you experienced bow hunters.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Any deer with a bow is a TROPHY! With your situation I would shoot the first deer that gives you an opportunity. Get that 1st one under your belt, then get a little picky. A lot of these guys blow a bunch of smoke here so don't feel like you need to shoot a certain deer. Good luck and let us know when you score!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I wouldn't worry to much about QDM or any of that.There is alot of BS on here that just amounts to someone forcing their opinions on everyone else.I wish some of these people would quit judging each other and just hunt the way they want to,and let the rest of us do the same.If its your first deer,I say any legal deer that suits you suits me.Any deer with a bow is a trophy,so don't sweat it and enjoy the sport.

Good Luck,
Brandon

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
you hunt what you want to and consider fair chase. my opinion? if its leagal, its a trophy. i jumped a yearling doe going in the woods yesterday. if i see it on opening morning, its DOWN!! welcome to hunting and good luck!!

·
Registered
771 Posts
3L_Archer said:
I would shoot the first legal deer that comes into range. Then take a picture of it and post it here.:darkbeer:

3L
And that my friend would be a trophy!

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
new to bow hunting

My older sister had a boyfriend back in about 1980 that was a avid trapper and bowhunter. At that time he had 2 dozen deer under his belt. He was 20 years old.He told me for a newbie one of the best "in the field" learning is to shoot as many the first 2 years. He said due to nerves and form ect.., the shots making you better for when you really need it. He said do that 1 or 2 years then focus on lg does and larger bucks.

Though he never recommended shooting button heads.

So, I say shoot whatever you like.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
3L_Archer said:
I would shoot the first legal deer that comes into range. Then take a picture of it and post it here.:darkbeer:

3L
What 3L said!!! :wink: :darkbeer: :darkbeer:

·
southern traditions
4,942 Posts
i,m a meat hunter and i really could care less what some trophy hunter says.i like the meat ya cant it those horns ,but if they have a nice set than thats just a plus.to many people caught up in just the horns .i love to hunt big ,small its still meat in the freezer.i like the saying if its brown its down!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
txgolfer45 said:
I want to get my first deer with a bow. So.....
Take the first legal deer that presents itself with a reasonable opportunity for a shot within your abilities.

And don't worry about it.

It may or may not be big, but it will be a "trophy" that you will always remember.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
bro2032 said:
I wouldn't worry to much about QDM or any of that.There is alot of BS on here that just amounts to someone forcing their opinions on everyone else.I wish some of these people would quit judging each other and just hunt the way they want to,and let the rest of us do the same.If its your first deer,I say any legal deer that suits you suits me.Any deer with a bow is a trophy,so don't sweat it and enjoy the sport.

Good Luck,
Brandon
Well said Brandon, txgolfer45 just go out and have a good time.

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Your hunting public land so for the most part there is no QDM as people ARE gonna shoot the first thing they see. This decision my friend is up to you and your goals. Your first deer will no doubt be a trophy with the bow. I would take first mature doe and in your case you've taken a good buck (with gun) last year so I would try to get a decent one with the bow. YOu didn't say how many buck tags you have?

As for the true meat hunter's chiming in.....a doe is more of a challenge and better eating than a stupid young buck. Can't we all get along?

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
What you shoot is a very personal decision, and likely there is always going to be SOMEONE who will disagree with what you shot unless its the new typical world record.....So, I would definitely set some goals as far as what you are willing to shoot ahead of time that way you at least have a goal on what you're out there for, after that if its legal then don't let it bother you what folks say about it!! '94

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
First off ... taking ANY deer with a bow is quite an accomplishment. 99% of the hunters out there never have, and they never will. Second ... every doe or “small” deer you take off a property helps strengthen the herd. Wildlife biologists WANT a certain number of deer per square mile and they regulate hunting licences to obtain and maintain healthy numbers for the land’s carrying capacity. They want dead deer; so help them out. Finally ... remember ... enjoy the experience, the connection to the past, the connection to the fraternity/sorority of fellow bow hunters ... it’s about the preparation, practice, dedication, about the hunt, about the kill and about sharing your stories and your venison with friends and family ... it’s not about the quantity of bone on a deer’s head. HAVE FUN ... and GOOD LUCK! :wink:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Whatever you want to that is legal. Don't get caught up in any of the bragging bs. JUST GO OUT AND HAVE FUN!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Durocab1 said:
Your hunting public land so for the most part there is no QDM as people ARE gonna shoot the first thing they see.
And then later on they like to complain about the fact that they hunt public land and never see any trophy bucks. Hmmmmm!!!

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
bbarnett51 said:
Whatever you want to that is legal. Don't get caught up in any of the bragging bs. JUST GO OUT AND HAVE FUN!!!
txgolfer45,

These words above are the truest on this entire forum. Don't get caught up with the endless preaching from the clowns & peanut gallery in many of the threads.

• Know your state's rules and regulations.
  • Find a mentor, preferably someone with a few years experience in the woods and one you trust the judgement of -- in and out of the woods.
  • As time goes by you'll grow as hunter and make decisions for yourself -- without being told how to go about this or that.

The drivel -- from both sides of the debate -- in the "ethic" & "QDM" threads are a waste of rare, valuable leisure time.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Don't worry about what a bunch of hammer heads on the internet tell you, or try to push there beliefs upon you. You do what you feel is right. It is good to hear all sides, but in the end do what you want. Hunting is for fun and good food. Don't ever forget it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts