Archery Talk Forum banner

new to bowhunting. advice pls

615 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  jerseycast
this is my first year bow hunting and i'm getting addicted quickly! the other morning i was in my stand and it was still dark out. i had a bait pile and heard deer moving about 10 yds away from me. i could barely make them out cause it was too dark. suddenly they got spooked and ran about 10 yds further then stopped. then they started making loud calls kinda high in pitch and rasppy almost like an elk. ive never heard this before and was wondering if anyone could tell me exactly what it was. it seemed to me to be a warning call
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,999 Posts
when deer have been spooked theyll stomp and "blow". sometimes theyll just run off through the woods blowing. basically they busted you - must have heard you, seen you move, or smelt you. but yes its basically a warning to all the other deer that danger is present

· Registered
5,351 Posts
Play the wind. I also make it a point to either not hunt directly over bait or make sure the bait is far enough away your not right on top of the deer. You may not get a shot at every deer that comes in but your spot will stay fresher for longer. Good luck!

· Guipago
3,109 Posts
Yup they caught a whiff of ya, 98% of the time bait piles = spooky deer also.

· wannabtradguy
15,328 Posts
yep. I agree with all the above. the #1 thing that determines your hunting plan is the wind. sometimes you can fool a deers ears and sometimes his eyes, NEVER his nose. Welcome to the bowhunting ranks. It's a blast!

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
u can bait now only during bow. they say it legal but not encouraged........... next year they're bringing in crossbow which i think sucks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.