Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. My name is Jake. Im 15 years old and i am getting into bowhunting. Ive always like gun hunting and figured id try bowhunting. I picked up a 2010 Hoyt Turbohawk. Its all set up and came with Carbon Express arrows. I recently picked up some more and have been shooting a lot. Just starting to get the feel for a bow now. Just wondering what are some must have supplies for bowhunting? Clothing, scent blockers, bow supplies, tree stands, etc.? Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Jake

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anybody have opinions on what type of broadheads to use. I hear there are fixed and expendable ones. Which ones are the best bang for the $$$

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Don't worry about scent blocker stuff now. Get yourself a range finder, a good tree stand and some climbing sticks oh and a safety harness!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
get yourself some good fixed blade broadheads since you are 15 im thinking u have a short draw length not pulling to much, i would recomend slick trick standerds they are realy good heads and they are afordable. i would also recomend a range finder, absolutly number one is a safty vest that should be your top priority, my favoright is the gorilla g30 because the teather is long enouph that you can move good. if you want to stay cost efective i would just buy one nice climber so you dont have to buy a ton of stands. tree walkers are the best climbers in my opinion, they are big comfortable light and quiet. these are the biggest things that come to mind allong with sent killer spray and some game calls. i am about your age i am 16 if you need any help with anything at all feel free to send me a pm i would be glad to help out man. good luck to ya man. get er done.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I wouldnt call a range finder "essential". Binoculars are more important than that. Practice shooting from an elevated position if you plan on treestand hunting because it is different from shooting on the ground. I wouldn't recommend expandables either, get a good fix blade. If money is an issue, I've shot plenty of deer with 100 grain 3 blade muzzys. As for clothing, obviously i would suggest a full set of camo, facemask wouldnt hurt either. If possible I would also get a nice pair of rubber boots. That is where spending a little money is worth it because cheap ones will wear out in one season.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The draw length/weight is 27.5/59 i believe. Just got the length set for me. I have Muck boots that I plan on using. Would you reccomend a stand with railing around it or not? I have both for gun hunting so i can pick either one. What about lighted nocks? Heard its pretty easy to loose arrows in the woods??. Thanks. Jake

·
Registered
189 Posts
Lighted knocks are nice but not needed. I wouldn't use a stand with a rail for bowhunting because you have to minimize your movement, but get a safety vest for sure. Vests have come a long ways and they make some that are very comfortable now. You should also get a draw string so you can hoist your bow up into your stand, instead of hooking it around your shoulder. As for scent lock gear, its nice, but not really necessary. The most important, and i mean absolutely most important part of bowhunting is playing the wind. I dont care how good scent killers and scent proof clothing are, deer will smell you when they are down wind. If you are unsure about the wind for a particular spot, sit somewhere else where the wind is favorable. It can be tempting, especially if you have a nice deer around, but dont sit if the wind is not right, because you could easily mess up your spot. I still use scent killer spray just for extra precaution, but you have to play the wind. you may want to get a "scent" bag to keep your hunting clothing in also, just to prevent other odors from getting on them....hope this helps, dont be afraid to ask more questions!

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
1st thing I would get is good boots. You'll find out quick that spending a little more for a quality pair of boots will quickly pay off

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Lots of great tips. One essential that was mention ill expand on. Practice from a tree stand AND learn to bend at the waist after you come to full draw. Plenty of YouTube videos about proper form. This is a critical one. When shooting elevated, the tendency is to bend the arms a bit and shoot. Learning this early will really help you. You are asking questions in the right place. Lots of help here. Good luck!!

Indiana
From my iPhone

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
A good extendable hinged bow hanger is a good tool. I like to actually hang the bow right in front of my face. Many times I've won a stare down with a deer as i hid my face behind my bow. It really breaks the outline. And the grip is right at arm level. I then swing it away as i grab and clip on. Or you can just leave it to your side. The nice part is the hinged hangers give you options that a short hook does not.

Indiana
From my iPhone

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Good string wax/lube. Strings and cables are expensive. I use Scorpion Venom after each shooting session.
Allen wrenches and spare screws and e-clips.
Attend a bowhunter safety course.;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I know it is a matter of opinion, but I bought a range finder several years ago and the only thing I use it for is quickly getting the right distance when setting up my targets in the yard. They are a pretty expensive piece of equipment and not what I call essential to bowhunting. Then again, I don't shoot beyond 25 yards when I hunt deer.

I don't mean to start an arguement. It's just that there are other more important things for a 15 year-old kid to spend his money on than a $200-$400 rangefinder, IMO. Essentials are hunting clothes (including boots), broadheads, etc.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I use a rangefinder to find yardage markers when I hunt new places. Muzzy makes some really tough broad heads and they are affordable. If you buy a climber, they usually have a harness in the box. Invest in a good set of boots. Camo isn't as important as picking a good place to set up. When you set up your stand make sure there is plenty of foliage in the background to break up your outline, and stay out of direct light if possible. Standard issue camo will work great if you do that. Buy a 3d target, and start practice a slow draw and hold before the shot. Pick a small spot slow squeeze on the trigger, follow through on each shot. Practice for your hunting conditions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do have a bowhunter safety course. I have string wax. I guess i will look for a safety vest and broadheads. Anybody have a preferred brand for broadheads? When is a good time to go and scout in the woods

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Any fixed will do for your setup really. Top 3 IMO are muzzy mx4 slicktrick any kind really but I like magnums now that I see your setup or the qad exodus.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts