Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2008 Ultra elite, barebow, and now I need to get all the accessories to shoot it. Thing is, I'm not exactly sure what would be best suited for me. I have a general idea of what I need, but I'm not familiar with any of the brand names and what's good for target shooting, which is what I'll pretty much be exclusively shooting (no hunting)

I know that I need the following (in order of relative importance, some things may be missing):
-Rest (drop away?)
-Release (I shoot recurve, so I guess I'd like to shoot with back tension?)
-Sight (not sure which to get)
-Stabilizer
-Arrows (my club has arrows that I can use for now, but eventually I'd like to get my own)
-Case

Any input would be welcome, especially for how much I should be paying (I plan on buying the majority of my equipment used)

Thanks in advance
-Christian

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
What type of shooting will you be doing? Spots or 3-D?

·
Placebo Power!
12,050 Posts
So much of it is personal preference that you're not going to get more than personal opinion here- there are lots of good options and manufacturers out there.

Here's my rough direction for you.

Rest- Blade rest of your choice. I like the AAE Pro Blade. Trophy Takers, Trophy Ridge, etc, etc are all nice and all can be had off the Classifieds for $35-75.

Release- You can shoot any release on the market with back tension. I prefer a trigger. If I were shooting a hinge, it would be a Scott. Classifieds $85-140.

Sight- I prefer CBE. You can get a Quad Lite target off the classifieds for under $250. Add scope/lens of your liking.

Stabs- I like Doinker's product line as a whole. If you choose a bow which needs little dampening B-stinger's stuff is nice too. Length/weight/etc is purely personal and would need to know what bow, draw weight and draw length to even begin to make a recommendation. $???

Arrows- Easton or Carbon Express. ACC/ACG/ACE, Medallion, Nano, Carbon One are all good choices for most field/FITA shooters. $100-400 dozen

Case- the one that fits your bow and your desciption. Buy new, shipping is too high to save much $ on used.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!

For the release, can you explain to me the difference between a hinge and a trigger (and any other types of releases?)?
What are the benefits of one over the other?

Thanks again,
-Christian

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for!

For the release, can you explain to me the difference between a hinge and a trigger (and any other types of releases?)?
What are the benefits of one over the other?

Thanks again,
-Christian

Go with the hinge release aid. It will force you to learn proper form and shot execution.
It might be frustrating at the beggining but later on, it will pay off.
Sights: go for a CBE
Rest: A trophy Taker spring steel 1, or SS Pro
Release aids: Carter, SCOTT, Tru Ball, any of these. Try to lay your hand on these, before purchasing.
Stabilisers: Doinker or Bee Stinger

Welcome to archery. :beer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts