Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
encore4me
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been hunting all my life,47 years. I like to read about people who get into the sport later in life. Tell what you did for enjoyment before you started hunting and what hunting means to you today.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I've been hunting for as long as I can remember and I've been in the woods since before I could walk.

I don't know what it is like to not hunt...

It literally is and always has been a giant part of my life. It produces the majority of my food for the year. It has shaped me as a person to where I am uncomfortable in civilized areas and around large groups of people because of how comfortable I am out in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by trees and animals.

It's also some of the only time I get to spend with my father. Unfortunately he is getting up there in age and very rarely goes out anymore.

I think the part that means the most to me though is the fact that while I'm out in the woods, I feel like I'm truely doing what I'm SUPPOSED to be doing, and also like I am exactly where I belong. It's something deeper than I can understand to be honest.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I grew up never knowing hunting, when I graduated from high school I went to the military for 10 years and in 2009 was medically discharged for injuries in Afghanistan, when I returned home a good friend of mine invited me to hunt with him, so I did and i shot a doe with a shotgun. Best experience ever after that I got into bowhunting, now it is my only hobby and it takes up my time all year long, I have 5 bows and devote all my free time to hunting whitetails, it comes second to my family. I can't believe I went that long without bowhunting in my life.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't know what's its like NOT to hunt....my dad started talking me when I was in diapers.....49 years later.....I still love it more than anything else!!!!! Hope I got at least 30-40 more to go

·
Liv4Rut
7,330 Posts
I took a 49 year old this past weekend on his first deer hunt. It was a gun hunt in which he got to see a lot of deer and shot his first buck out of a tree. He called it a "spiritual awakening". It has been a week and he calls me everyday talking about how exciting it was and he can't wait to get out there and do it again. He wants to buy his first bow and start shooting asap as he believes he that would be the ultimate for him. It was a great feeling to take him out on his first hunt.

Me personally, I don't know what it is like not to hunt. Been tagging along with my old man for as long as I can remember.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I road motocross before hunting. It means no more cal replacement haha. I really enjoyed spring turkey hunting. Deer hunting has been a tough go . Next your I will have done more preparation and it will be better.

·
Registered
707 Posts
My dad took me along on some deer hunting trips when I was in grade school. It was more like camping while wearing orange and he had a .30-.30 and I had a toy gun, but great memories. As I got older and more involved in team sports, our deer hunting dwindled, but we continued to same game and bird hunt. We had an annual quail hunt on new years eve each year and what ever we killed would be appetizers for that evening. But growing up, the focus in the fall for me was football.

I really got serious about deer hunting when I went to college in Springfield MO back in 2002 which just so happens to be the end of my playing days. I had access to the outdoor channel for the first time and it gave me the bug to go after deer now that I had time. What got me into bowhunting was watching Ted Nugent on Spirit of the Wild. I know he is very polarizing figure but you can't deny his passion for bowhunting. I bought my first bow in 2003 and have been hooked ever since. I have since strayed from the "celebrity" hunters and focus more on those who are more informational such as Winke, Ulmer, etc. but I owe it to the Nuge for opening the door of bowhunting to me.

Also, I was able to get my dad into bowhunting several years ago, which was cool to watch it come full circle. He doesn't have the bug like I do, his is golf, but it is always awesome to get out an hunt with him any chance we get.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I have hunted since I was a little kid and used to walk along with my Dad carrying a toy gun before I could handle a real one.
Happiest memories from the past are going out with my Dad, Grandfather and Uncles rabbit&pheasant hunting Thanksgiving morning and being allowed to skip school first day of bunny season..running trapline before and after school.
Now my biggest joy is hunting with my two grown sons for waterfowl,bunnies,yotes,pheasant...and especially deer, nothing like texting back and forth with the boys while up a tree these days!
Can't wait to have Grandkids to share it with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts