Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've taken the plunge and decided to buy a new to me 09' Hoyt Katera Xl w/ Cam and 1/2+ from the classifieds here. I have always shot fingers and recently decided to switch to a release. :mg:

It doesn't help that the OH deer season starts in 2 days, but, I'll practice until I feel confident and make it happen.

I'm a bit nervous, but, excited too.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your gonna love it. I got mine last year and am not the slightest bit interested in a new bow!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, this will be my hunting/everything else rig. I'm a bit nervous about using a release, but, I think it's the way to go. I love my 47" ATA 99' Reflex Caribou, but, I'm looking for a little more range/consistency out of my setup. With my 600 gr. arrows, I can only get about 45 yards out of my bow. I would like to become deadly accurate out to 60+ yards so should the need arise, I can make the shot and have KE to spare.

I was on the fence about going with either the Z3 cam or Cam & 1/2+. I'm not stranger to a slow bow, so the slightly slower, smoother, more adjustable Cam & 1/2+ cam was the way to go for me.

Can't wait fellas!

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
I have a 08 XL with the Z3 cams and absolutly love it. Its probably one of the best bows I've ever owned. Toss up between it and the Vulcan I have. The XL holds great, draws super smooth, and its very forgiving. You'll be happy you bought it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
You'll love the bow! I have an 08 Katera and I've taken 2 mule deer and 2 elk with it and it's not even a year old. I just bought a Alphamax 32 from my proshop since the price was right. I'm not getting rid of my Katera it's a shooter.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm glad people are so satisfed with it. I have never actually shot this bow, I've shot the Alphamax 35. I considered one of those, but, it seemed many people preferred the Katera.

I can't wait to get it.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got my Katera XL today. It looked great and shot even better. It took me awhile to even get the least bit comfortable with my Tru Ball Pro Diamond, I even panicked once and shot it with fingers for awhile. After a break I started using the release aid again and began to get the hang of it. I shot for nearly 6 hours, which went by very quickly and made me pretty tired.

Monday I'm making the trip to Terminal Velocity Archery to visit Mike Deck where I'll have the more permanent sight, rest, stab.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts