Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm all tagged out deer wise and saw a yote tonight.

How would you guys suggest going about getting coyotes to come in within a 50 yard crossbow range? What calls would I be using? Coyote or distressed animal calls?

The terrain is pretty much like you see on TV when there hunting coyotes. Huge valleys and hills.

I rarely see coyotes up there. In your experience is a good coyote property quite obvious or does it really show its true colors when you start calling? I have seen 3 coyotes total in the 2 years Ive been hunting here.

If you have the knowledge to answer any of my above question I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Use a distress call. Get in quite and stay down wind. Set up so to try and prevent them from getting down when before in range.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
GobblerDown,
Were these yotes taken during a calling competition in Colorado?
Heck of a pile of fur there. Nice looking dogs too!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Are there any predator forums on the next that are good to look at for beginningers. If so, what are they?

·
Registered
204 Posts
will fox come in as well if i use a rabbit distress call?
Yes, The little Gray Fox is about the easiest critter to call in IMO. I have had good luck calling during the day by just overlooking a draw with some open country in front of you so you can see. If there is a lot of brush you will have a hard time seeing them coming and they will and can be on you before you can react. Out here in West Texas I find me a bush or a tree to lean up against on a hillside overlooking a draw or creek bottom. I try not to stay in one place over 20/30 min. then move at least 1/2 mile and start over again. Cotton tail distress call and a squeeker have worked really well for me over the years. Good luck, but I warn you this can be addicting.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Use a distress call. Get in quite and stay down wind. Set up so to try and prevent them from getting down when before in range.

Awsome, Helicopter kills??

·
Smilin' Bob
25,077 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In your guys experience is it better to bow hunt coyotes from a stand or blind or on the ground? I will be using a crossbow so i won't have to move to draw. Also how insanely difficult would it be to lure a yote within 50 yrds?

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
GobblerDown,
Were these yotes taken during a calling competition in Colorado?
Heck of a pile of fur there. Nice looking dogs too!
WY at the National Coyote Calling Championship

1 - 12 of 12 Posts