Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
New member here. Once upon a time, I was a decent shot with an old Bear longbow...something like 30+ years ago, before I was old enough to really remember.

I decided it's a good year to start bow hunting, took my bow hunter safety, then rather ironically stumbled in to a job as a bow tech at one of the local dealers.

I'm learning a lot, as quickly as I'm able...one thing I can't seem to track down in my area is qualified instruction on actually shooting.

Seems there's no shortage of info here, I look forward to learning enough to be able to contribute!

·
Registered
2021 PSE Nock on Embark
18 Posts
Welcome!

I just got into archery recently and been watching the school of nock for information on shooting

·
Registered
gearhead T-24, but have shot and owned almost every bow company including several that are no more
744 Posts
Welcome from state college pa

·
Registered
30 Posts
Welcome to archery talk I just joined a week ago and honestly have already found some useful info really quickly on here so hopefully you find the same

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've definitely been devouring youtube videos, but I've realized in life that I learn some things far better with direct feedback, rather than books or videos. I find it too easy to think I'm doing well, develop bad habits, then struggle to correct them later. Youtube and forums are great for technical tips and tricks, but I have a very strong technical background/foundation to draw from. Learning an entirely new skill like shooting from scratch via video is definitely beyond my capabilities haha.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I've definitely been devouring youtube videos, but I've realized in life that I learn some things far better with direct feedback, rather than books or videos. I find it too easy to think I'm doing well, develop bad habits, then struggle to correct them later. Youtube and forums are great for technical tips and tricks, but I have a very strong technical background/foundation to draw from. Learning an entirely new skill like shooting from scratch via video is definitely beyond my capabilities haha.
Welcome from Lancaster County PA. I believe USA archery has coaches but you also would do well to post up in the general section and I am sure there are guys close that can help!

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
welcome to AT

·
Registered
Range only.
440 Posts
Don’t underestimate yourself as far as learning by video. That is pretty much how I started, and then I had a guy in my local range correct a couple of small things. He’s been shooting for 30+ years and said my form was pretty close to perfect. You can probably do just as well. And this is not to discount getting coaching if you feel you need it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey folks,
New member here. Once upon a time, I was a decent shot with an old Bear longbow...something like 30+ years ago, before I was old enough to really remember.

I decided it's a good year to start bow hunting, took my bow hunter safety, then rather ironically stumbled in to a job as a bow tech at one of the local dealers.

I'm learning a lot, as quickly as I'm able...one thing I can't seem to track down in my area is qualified instruction on actually shooting.

Seems there's no shortage of info here, I look forward to learning enough to be able to contribute!
Welcome back

1 - 18 of 18 Posts