Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Keep on keepin' on...
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, I recently acquired an older Indian Archery Mohawk bow.
On the bottom limb it says 261-52, it is a little over 48# tip to tip, and it says 45# on the riser. I did not receive it with the string, so I am wondering how long of string I should look at getting for it. From what a quick google search said, would 4" less than overall length work? Also, is there a specific type of string I need to find?

As for the overall condition of the bow, it is is good condition, except for the fact that the bottom limb has some "lines" or from what I can tell, "cracks". Is this a big problem?
moh11.jpg
It is very similar to this picture of the "almost" exact same bow on this site, except the cracks on mine run all the way across the limb-
http://www.shapesport.com/Itm140641278453_20839_Stunning_Indian_Archery_261-52_Mohawk_45_Recurve_Bow_RH_.aspx
(check out web site for more pics of identical bow)
The other problem is that on the bottom limb, the double laminated fork is splitting a little bit parallel to the limb edges(so if you are looking at the bow while it was shooting to the left)
picture of one in perfect condition-
moh12.jpg
Could this be simply superglued, or is this a larger problem than I think?
Overall, there are a few little dings, but nothing else big, so other than those two bigger issues, it is decent.
So what do you think?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
12,046 Posts
You are about right on the string, 3.5"-4" less than the length should be right. Make sure you don't use FF stings with your older bow. If you don't have a string maker you like, give Chad a call and give him the details of your bow, he will know what you need (http://recurves.com/).

As far as the condition...I would take some detailed photos and post them here. Any hint of delamination or separation between the layers of the limbs or tips is a problem. Definitely get an opinion from someone knowledgeable before you go any further. I would be less worried about the type of line in your top photo, sometimes those are just in the finish, but I'm far from an expert on old bows. Your limb tip sounds more worrisome. Can't tell anything without good photos of your specific bow.

·
Keep on keepin' on...
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, thanks for the info. I will post some pics after work today if I get the chance.

·
Keep on keepin' on...
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Indian Mohawk Recurve

Here are some pictures of the bottom limb-
P1010653.jpg
P1010655.jpg
P1010657.jpg
P1010658.jpg
here are the cracks I am talking about-

Attachments

·
Keep on keepin' on...
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some overall pics-
P1010661.jpg
P1010664.jpg
P1010663.jpg
P1010666.jpg

·
Registered
9,768 Posts
Yikes - that bottom tip looks pretty scary, don't think you should be shooting that. Cut your losses and look for another bow, preferably longer and lighter. Something in the 30-35# range and 62-64" AMO (length). While your at it pic up a copy of the Book "Shooting the Stickbow" - a great reference to get you started off right.

·
Registered
12,046 Posts
That limb tip looks bad, appears to be the remnants of a previous repair attempt too. I don't know if it could be fixed or not. I certainly wouldn't shoot it in that condition.

The lines on the limb...not sure about them either. Something about them looks worrisome to me. There are some people on here that are good with the older bows and the issues they can have. Hopefully one of them will have your answers. I'm interested too.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
Unfortunately that bow looks like a wall hanger.

·
Keep on keepin' on...
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm. The only thing that I have hope for is the fact that the part that is cracking off is not actually part of the main laminate limb. It is just a width extension that is splitting off the main limb, if you see what I mean...

·
Keep on keepin' on...
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there anybody else here that recognizes/has dealt with this problem?
Any opinions appreciated...

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
If it's the tip overlay that is coming off, any competent bowyer can fix and reshape the limb tips. Those lines in the limb look too straight to be cracks, maybe something the previous owner had mounted on the limb caused those wear patterns. All in all, DON"T shoot that bow until you can take it to someone for analysis and repair first. You will just have to weigh out what it will take to fix, if can be, versus what another bow can be had for - one that doesn't have issues.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Even leaving the lines out of the question, that bottom limb-tip looks scary!

At the very least, I'd hang that one up until I could get it to a good, competent bowyer for a closer look. Looks to me, from here, like it's about to part company with the bow.

·
Keep on keepin' on...
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Out of curiosity, is there anybody out there that thinks it wouldnt be a problem if I superglued/sealed the bottom limb tip?

·
Keep on keepin' on...
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, by the opinions of many, It looks like this beauty might just remain a wall-hanger...
Anybody who thinks not, throw in your thoughts!!!

·
Registered
12,046 Posts
It might work, it might not. If it's just the tip overlay it's more likely to be repairable than if the damage is also in between the laminations. If you try to glue it, a good 24 hour epoxy and then clamped might be better than super glue. It's a gamble and your call, no matter how you look at it.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Me personally this is my opinion only, but the bottom tip looks easily repairable, I would try and get the piece coming off all the way off, clean it up and use a 24hr epoxy and clamp it tight together and let it set for a couple days, I would use small blocks of wood on each side of the tip to evenly distribute the compression force of the clamp along the whole tip. I've fixed a bunch of recurves for friends over the years like that and all are still shooting today, as far as the lines I'm like one other poster said looks to straight to be cracks but the picture isn't a great picture that needs to be looked at closely before its shot, could be superficial, I've shot a few older recurves of friends over the years that looked worse than that but as previously posted it all up to you, its a decision only you can make all we can do is give our opinions

·
Keep on keepin' on...
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Nitroboy for the honest info!
As you all already know, I would love to be able to shoot this beauty, so I think I am going to look at a repair job. If anybody knows of a good, recommended 24 epoxy posted above, I would love to find out. As for the cracks, I looked at them under my microscope. From what I can tell, It looks like the clear coat has cracked, and then separated from the actual wooden limb a minuscule amount, so I have faith that the lines will not be a problem, however I might try to reseal them with something (any ideas appreciated).
Thanks, and all opinions are welcome!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts