Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am new to traditional archery. Let me first say that I'm not new to archery period. I have been involved with archery for almost 14 years. Started out with a crossbow. Made the transition to compound about 4 years ago and have loved every minute of it. I just recently recieved a bow that is new to me for my birthday. So I am looking for any type of info about the bow itself as I am sure that it has some history, and also any pointers on traditional archery and shooting instincually.

Here are some pictures of the bow that I have taken.

Again any type of info and pointers will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Welcome to trad archery and congrats on a nice bow! The best advice I can gie is to start close (10 yards) and dont give up! When I started back into trad archery I bent my first 12 easton alluminums, in one session, hence the name Warped Arrow!!

Ask plenty of questions here and in other traditional forums and you will be piping the Ace @ 30 yards in no time.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Being that the bow is marked "Head Ski Co." indicates that your bow was made sometime from the late 60's to whatever year the bow was no longer made.

Bob Lee of "Bob Lee Archery" was the originator of the Wing but sold the company to Head Ski in the late 60's. When Bob lee was producing the bows, they were a piece of excellent craftsmanship. I don't know if Bob Lee made the bows for Head Ski, or if not did Head Ski turn out the same quality. Maybe someone here knows.

Your bow will take a 58" Dacron (B-50) 10-12 strand string, depending on your draw-length on the bow. If your DL is greater than 28" I would go with a 12 strand.

Determine your draw-length on the bow and then scale it for the exact draw-weight at your DL. Many recurves are not the draw-weight as is marked

I don't know what the recommend brace height for that bow is; I am suspecting 7.5 to 8.5. Because of the large limb curve many of the Wings have I would start with the highest brace and adjust until the bow sounds the quietest.

I am assuming that you have already inspected the bow for twisted limb(s), delamination, cracks, etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts