Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to traditional archery. I have been shooting archery for about 10 years and am 20 years old. I have only bow hunted for 4 years with a coumpound.

Recently I have acquired my dad's old black bear recurve 60" AMO 45# at 28". I am a bigger guy with a draw length of 31.5". I have some easton st epic carbon 340 arrows that i fletched with 4 inch feathers. I am shooting off the shelf with some bear hair i put on.

Am I off to a good start? what else should i look into getting to move on? i need a new string, would a dacron string at cabelas work? also i am shooting a 100 grain thunderhead broadhead. Is that ok or should i move to a lower profile broadhead or mechanical like i've been told with my compound?

·
Registered
163 Posts
sounds like you`re off to a really good start. the dacron string will work good. try shopping at 3riversarchery.com tho. you`ll find they are great to work with on most archery items.
as for the braodheads, if they work good for you then they are just fine.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Sounds like your mostly on the right track.
But your broadheads,,,personaly I don't like the Thunder heads or any other Trocar type head,,,I want pure "cuttting" from the word go,,plus I belive those poke a hole/then cut type heads cause a lot of unnessasary pain to the the animal.
Mechanicals are even worse in that department,plus most stringbows don't have the KE to open them reliabley.
My advice is to buy any brand name cut on contact two blade,,,or two blade with the smaller insert blades to make them into a 4 blade,,,,then buy a KME sharpener,,,,,,an maybe you should buy the KME first.
I don't have much faith in 3 blade heads,,,,I've never seen a really sharp one yet,,,an I've seen a heck of a lot of them.
You'll read a lot of advice on broadheads,,about 2 blades out penetrating multi blades ect,,,fact is,if any broadhead is "really" as sharp as is should be,they all dang near fall through deer sized animals.
If peneration is an issue,,,the problem is not with the broadhead,it's with the guy that didn't sharpen it properly.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The old Bear recurve will do fine with a dacron bowstring. It was made for a dacron bowstring. Just don't ever put a fastflight bowstring on it because it'll damage the limb and/or limb tips. BTW, at your 31.5" draw length, you're probably pulling around 55-56 pounds.

Can't help you with the carbon arrows. I only shoot aluminum arrows.

·
Addicted Elkhunter
2,287 Posts
thank you both. How do the two blade broadheads fly? are there any problems with that? and 3 blades would cut more wouldn't they?
If the broadhead/arrow combination is tuned properly to the bow they fly great. For instance, for now I shoot both compounds and sticks and today I was shooting 150gr 4 blade magnus stingers on Goldtip Traditionals and they grouped right with my field points at 80yds. I use that very same broadhead with my stick bows on a different arrow and they fly great. I can put a 150 gr 3 blade razorcap on the same arrows and get the same result.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts