Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a Samick Spikeman from my local shop (via Lancasters). I have not even set it up yet, but wow - what a beautiful bow. Clear glass, reminds me of a Martin Hunter but cost 1/2 as much. I'll get it together and get some pics - if it shoots 1/2 as good as it looks I'll be a happy camper. Specs: 35#@28" 60" AMO.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I'm 'cited. Don't hear much about those Samicks as the price range moves up and always wondered what folks thought of them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yes, please make sure to do a review. I'm big into Samicks... Just got a pinnacle riser, have a trail blazer long bow that i love. I also have a phantom on the way for xmas. Excellent bows for the money!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I,m a big fan of the samick line of bows. There usally a great value. I also got a samick redstag longbow about a month ago an very impressed with the finish on the bow . Mine is almost perfect. An the bow shoots as good as most mild r/d longbows an for only 200.00. Enjoy your toy.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I took it to the range last night. Had a nice 14S D97 string w/ beaver balls already, so I put that on - stuck a Hoyt Super Rest on it, and made a few brace height tweaks (7 1/2" was 'the spot'). Had my full length 2013's w/ nibbs and some Gt Entrada 600's full length w/ 75gr point and some full length Beman ICS Bowhunter 500's. Both the 2013's and Entrada's shot well, Bemans were too stiff. The Entrada's really smoked. I have not chrono'd it yet but 180 is a conservative guess. These arrows are light, in the 8gpp range but wow they were moving - could be a great 3D setup. After messing with those a while I went to the 2013's - like a match made in heaven. I was just piling them in the middle so I decided to shoot a full NFAA round and see what happened. Well what happened is that I started getting tired..........first game 91, second 89, third 86 for a 266 10X total. Not bad but I could tell fatigue was setting in near the end with 100+ arrows sent downrange. So far I am very happy with this 'budget' bow. It draws and shoots very smooth at my 28" DL - is beautiful (love the clear glass) and appears to be very well made. It looks like a copy of a Martin Dream Catcher to me. Only flaw I can find is a knot in the wood in the grip area. It seems tight and should not be a problem, but doubt any custom boyers would have let that happen. I bought this bow to have a 'shooter' to grab anytime and not worry about. It looks like it will do that and plenty more. It seems that with the Spikeman, Samick is providing a lot of bow for the money. Sorry, I forgot to take my camera - so no pics yet.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, did a little more shooting with the Spikeman and have some numbers. It actually scales 36# @ 28" - shot over my chronograph I got 188,190,189 w/ 270gr arrow (7.5gpp) @ my 28" Draw length. I also shot the 2013's which weight in at 399gr (11gpp) and got 164,165,164. So performance is not bad, actually pretty close to any of the ILF rigs I have owned. I also got a few pics - I'm still amazed at how nice this is for a $250 bow.

Probably the only changes I would make would be to get it as a 30# bow so I could shoot it even more before fatigue sets in.........

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Maybe Samick will make a Big Brother Spikeman...say 66-68" like the "Vintage/Retro" target bow for the budget constrained up and coming Trad. archery set?

266 for a 300!! I wish. Congrats.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would be very cool - I'd buy one. There are very few options for new 'vintage style' target bows and the nice originals go for a premium. I may have to try a Volcano just for the fun of it. Will have to wait until I get my pennies saved up again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts