Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been shooting compounds for about 5 years now. I'm pretty proficient and shoot a 60 pound parker. I can easily shoot 70 pounds but dialed it back a little because I don't wanna beat up my shoulder for a few fps.

I just ordered a Samick Sage in 50 pound draw weight with beaver silencers, new fast flight string, bear rest for off the shelf shooting etc. I'm a pretty beefy guy so I don't think 50 will be an issue, I lift and do triathlon etc.

So I use Cabela's Carbon Hunter 55/70 arrows in my bow and they work very well for me with a 125 grain tip. I've been saving up the arrows where the fletching tears off so I've got about a half dozen of these carbon arrows sitting about. I was going to buy a whole new set specifically for the recurve but had second thoughts about doing that yet.

What I figured would be the more savvy thing to do was to get my carbon arrows fletched with feathers so as not to tear up the rest with vanes, then shoot them for a little bit, develop my form and figure out exactly what length I need the arrows to be with this new style of bow and more accurately figure out what spine, head weight I would need.

Does this sound like good reasoning? I'm pretty much self taught on the subject of archery so this forum has been helping me a lot with such things as I progress.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
They will be much too stiff unfortunately.

Depending on your draw length you may need either a .500 or .400 spine arrow. Also you may find once you start shooting it that you would have preferred a set of lighter limbs, fortunately they are cheap.

-Grant

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They will be much too stiff unfortunately.

Depending on your draw length you may need either a .500 or .400 spine arrow. Also you may find once you start shooting it that you would have preferred a set of lighter limbs, fortunately they are cheap.

-Grant
On the arrows my thoughts are that I can get them fletched for 2$ an arrow and have 6 arrows for 12$. I'm anticipating being terrible and probably losing or breaking some arrows and I've certainly gotten my use out of these already but they're still in fine shape. I used these arrows in an old Bear 50 pound compound and they shot well enough in that to kill a 6 pointer.

On the limbs I figured that eventually I will want to hunt with this and planned on running 50 pounds. If it turns out that's too heavy I can buy the 30 pound limbs, but I'm pretty sure 50 will be fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the same arrows you do. 55/70 27.5" for my compound.
I put feathers on them and I thought the flew pretty good off
my new 35lb Hoyt excel. I shot a few bare shaft and then I saw
how stiff they were. They hung a left turn at about 15 yards and
are still lost in the grass. I'm going to try.004 and see how the fly.

·
Banned
7,677 Posts
Depending on the length they may not be too stiff. Make sure they are long enough for broadhead clearence and bareshaft them and see what happens. If they are too stiff - add some weight to the tip - try 150 grains or some weighted inserts. If they are long enough you should be able to make them work with a 50lb recurve with fast flight string.

I shoot 48lbs and draw 29.75 and .400 spine 55/75 fly perfect. 55/75 should be .400 spine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
These arrows seem to be working pretty well. I just got my bow today and I strung it up, set the nock ring thing and shot about 50 times or so. The 50# was not too much for me, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten bored with anything lighter in short order. Then again I also rode a bike 16 miles to get the bow and accessories from the post office for fun so I'm a little different than most folks.

I've got the left/right thing down pat. My arrows are going in a line almost perfectly up the middle of the target. But I seem to be shooting a bit high. I'm getting 9/10 on the target now, I broke one arrow the first time I shot though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after doing some more research I decided to order a dozen Beman ICS Bowhunter arrows. For my 50 pound bow and 125 grain arrows it looked like the 400's at 30" would do the trick.

So I was shooting my compound and attempting to broadhead tune. I was completely ignorant of arrow spine and such when I selected my arrows and broadheads back in 2006. Well I blew up a broadhead on a rock and my arrow made a left turn around my target mid flight, it looked like it broke several laws of physics before coming to rest 6 feet up an oak tree.

I gave up and hit the net trying to find out what was wrong. Well the Cabela's Carbon Hunter, for the past several years has been a rebadged Beman ICS Bowhuner. The 55/70 is the 400. They're identical in every way except the label.

So the bad news is I had to shell out some money on new arrows for the compound. The good news is it looks like with a little trimming and fletching I'll soon have about 3 dozen arrows for my recurve! :)

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
Try shooting them before triming, they might be perfect full-length. You can't put length back on afterall.

-Grant

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try shooting them before triming, they might be perfect full-length. You can't put length back on afterall.

-Grant
I will see what shoots the best. I found the Stu Miller dynamic spine calculator which worked great for me! I chopped my 2117's down to 30" and matched the spine to my bow. My groups tightened up immediately to 5" at 10 yards(shooting 7 arrow groups) which is great considering I've only owned a recurve for for 11 days!

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
That samick is a nice bow and shoots well. Think you will like it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts