Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to get into trad-archery from compound shooting and looking at a good entry level bow-setup and thought I would see what some of the more experienced trad shooters thought. I am interested in the ILF setups due to their tunability and multitude of limb options. Due to cost I am looking at the following setup instead of a metal riser setup.

I have an actual draw length of 28" and AMO draw length of 29 3/4"
-Tradtech Trident 17" riser $279
-Tradtech blackmax ILF medium length glass/wood limbs $150
I am considering 40lb weight for the limbs--> I believe will equal 42-43 lbs draw weight at my drawlength
Total bow length will be 60" with this setup and I shoot 3 fingers under on a fixed crawl point

Let me know what users of the tradtech trident 17" think of this setup or of my overall setup. I will be using this setup for bowhunting turkeys from a blind, 3D shooting, and possibly deer in the fall.

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
i was looking at 17" ilf for my son, was advised by the fine folks here that he would get more versatility out of a 19"

·
Registered
879 Posts
Are you wanting to hunt or target shoot? This will help with the advice given. I am a NFAA trad shooter where you can use aluminum risers , arrow rests and cushion plungers as well as a 12 inch stabilizer. Quite a different setup than a competitor that is shooting pure traditional classes where you must shoot off the shelf and no plungers or stabilizers allowed, some classes require wood arrows also. If you want to hunt , any setup that you like is OK . My favorite starting bow is a SF axiom light riser with SF axiom limbs a decent rest and cushion plunger. Limbs are on sale right now at Lancaster archery for 74.95 and the riser is a 23 inch riser at 129.95. This is a good starting setup and after you learn proper form and want to upgrade they hold their value well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
with the 19" you can get short limbs and have a 60" bow for hunting, and also get a set of long limbs for a smoother shooting target bow. at least thats how i understand it?

·
Registered
377 Posts
With your draw length I would not go with short limbs.
Medium would work better. Most blinds really work better with shorter bows so the
17" riser and medium limbs would give you a 60" bow which is starting to get long
for blind use.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Hopefully some of the dedicated bowhunters will chime in here. I believe that the 17 inch riser will add 8 pounds of weight to the advertised weight of the limbs which are typically measured at 28 inches of draw . Typically ILF limbs are rated using a 25 inch riser and you gain weight at approximately 2 pounds for every 2 inches of riser length lost. I don't know if the trad tech limbs measure differently as I have not used them. Your bow will only be 60 inches tip to tip which is pretty short for 3D competitions in my opinion and I would be worried about the loading of a medium limb at the dimensions you are asking about. Just another thought, do you want to shoot off of a rest or off of the shelf? Best bet would be to give John Wert a call at Lancaster archery supply and he will give you the lowdown on all your questions person to person.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I will likely call prior to ordering anything since I don't know what riser length was used on the blackmax limb weight calculation as well as other questions about my setup. I see they offer a 19" trident riser that might be a better fit w/medium limbs for my draw length than a 17" = a 62" overall bow length.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
You want long limbs with that DL.

·
Registered
76 Posts
you might also consider buying a good shape used riser (w/or without limbs?) instead of brand new, i look in the classifieds here everyday and see great deals on all kinds of bows getting snatched up all the time. i even saved quite a few bucks myself going with used bows here in the AT classifieds :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am also considering a metal riser and Morrison archery thought a 15" riser with medium ILF limbs would work well with my draw length and allow more compact maneuverability while hunting. My understanding is with my 29-29 1/2" draw length medium limbs would be better than short limbs. How important is the riser length? I shoot 3 fingers under with a fixed crawl position.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Medium limbs and a 29-1/2 inch draw works well on a 25 inch riser but putting them on a 15 inch riser will put so much bend and stress in them that I would think they would fail in time. . Most folks that go for the short risers use long limbs . If you look at a short one piece hunting bow you will see the riser is short but the length of the limb is quite long so it can handle the longer draw lengths.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I still stand by what I said earlier. Your catch 22 is hunting from a blind.

As with most things there is always a compromise when your trying to make one bow
do several things.

If the funds are there the perfect solution is two bows. If not decide what is the most
important and go from there until you can get another bow or another set of limbs
to swap out to match your needs.

You can do very well hunting or 3d with a 62-64" bow. The blind hunting really needs
a little shorter bow unless you buy a blind that has plenty of head room. They are out there.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
My thoughts.

All things being equal the longer riser with short limbs will (may be) a tad faster and not as smooth to draw.
Or, the short riser and long limbs will (should) have a smoother draw and be a touch slower.
But with good/better limbs and different riser tunability, maybe not.
Longer risers in general may be heavier and have a larger sight window.
You can exchange or get after market grips on some risers to get the right "fit".

You can call Lancaster archery and they can help guide some purchase decisions and answer questions.

As far as blinds go it I shoot 62"-64" bows from a older Primos. It really depends on what type of blind you have and how comfortable you are kneeling or sitting while shooting. Hidden Hunter blinds can handle 66" bows.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Check out the Galaxy Sear ILF riser at LAS for $180. I also got a $25 gift card for Black Friday. It's a CNC aluminum riser. Out of the box the fit and finish is excellent. Comes with 3 rest options, a string, and wrenches. I threw on some TT longbow limbs and it shoots great with minimal setup.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have an actual draw length of 28" and AMO draw length of 29 3/4"
-Tradtech Trident 17" riser $279
-Tradtech blackmax ILF medium length glass/wood limbs $150
Is fine. I would be thinking about longs with the 17" riser as Grant said above. 17" is fine for riser length unless you see a 19" you like more.

I am considering 40lb weight for the limbs--> I believe will equal 42-43 lbs draw weight at my drawlength
Total bow length will be 60" with this setup and I shoot 3 fingers under on a fixed crawl point
If you can only afford to get 1 set of limbs then 40# is a ok starting weight that is enough to hunt with. If you have enough cash to get 2 sets of limbs I would highly recommend getting some lighter limbs to start off with and a heavier set to hunt with. First set of limbs of 30# and chosen length (mediums or longs), this will help to develop good form and test if the mediums you want suit your draw length. The once you know, order some heavier weight hunting limbs.

JD.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts