Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help choosing a bow
I have been wanting to try traditional archery for a long time, the my elk I shot this year came all the way in to 10 yards and stayed in between 10 and 50 for a hour, the whole time i was thinking that i wish i already had a traditional bow. I ended up taking him at 30 yards he went 28 yards and toppeled over. That was september 16th and sense then I have built a , red oak board bow and gotten a couple very old recurves that my dad has had out in the barn for 30+ years. The best one is a 2 piece ben pearson signature 7330 58" recurve that is 50# at 28" and for some reason i can not shoot that thing, I have a 30" draw and it seems to me to stack pretty bad after about 27" or so. I seem to hit to the right every time 1.5 feet at 20 yards. The other is a old all fiberglass 40# 54" Shakespeare bow that is 45 years old. It is noticeably slower but i can hit a milk jug every time at 25 yards. the little one looks like a toy or I would just hunt with it. I would like to try a longbow to use to both hunt desert mule deer and elk with.
I would also like to keep it under 300 bucks. any help would be great, i know very little about traditional archery, i just know that the 74" red oak board bow i made it too slow but fun to shoot, and the old pearson recurve is fast enough but no fun to shoot.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Since you have a 30" draw length, the 58", 50#Ben Pearson bow is around 54#-56## at your draw length and that is a lot of weight for someone who has never shot a trad bow before to start out with. Also, the arrows for it, they're probably spined for a 50# bow and since they're not spined for the the higher n bow weight because of your draw length, it could be a reason why the arrow shoots to the right at 20 yards. Lastly; a 58" bow, in my opinion, is too short for a person with a 30" draw length. The string angle at full draw on your fingers might be making the arrows also shoot to the right. I have a 30" draw length and my two recurves are 66" in length.

Secondly, most production made longbows, the poundage is measured at 28". You'd have to pick a 35# @ 28" longbow and when you draw it 30" inches, it will be around 39#-41#. If you want a speedy arrow from a low poundage bow, shoot a light arrow around 9-10 GPP (grains per pound) arrow. Since I shoot low poundage bows for hunting, look at my signature and see how fast my arrows are in fps (feet per second).

In closing, a 40#-45# hunting bow, even with a light arrow, will easily kill deer, javelina and small feral hogs if one takes a broadside lung shot at 20 yards and under with a 2 blade broadhead. Most of my shots during my 47 years of bowhunting have been between 12-17 yards.

Maddog Archery might be able to help you with a longbow, but it costs $375 plus $20 shipping. For this price, the bowyer will build you a 60"-68" longbow at the bow poundage you want at your draw length. The link is below. With your 30" draw length, I would suggest a minimum 64" length, preferably 66"-68". If you go with Maddog, the bowyer (Mike Mecredy) will help you with length recommendations.

http://www.maddogarchery.com/

Once on the page, over to the left side, click on Traditional Bows. The next page, scroll on down till you see the "Longbow". Hope this info helps you out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, talked to Mike last night and am thinking about going with a mutt maddog 65" 44#@28 what do you guys think?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.