Archery Talk Forum banner

New Video shows that a Crossbow and a Compound Bow are ballistically comparable

1523 16
This video does a great job comparing a Crossbow vs a Compound Bow on arrow trajectory
and shows that a Crossbow and a Compound Bow are ballistically comparable weapons !!!!

Check it out !!!!
http://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/video_trajectory.asp

Bill Becquart
Oklahoma Crossbow Shooters Assn
www.oklahomaxbowshooters.org
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
419 Posts
Not exactly a fair comparison

Moot point because they created a test to get a specific result.

Both the vertical bow and the crossbow shoot similar velocity (292 fps vrs 305 fps).
309 grain @ 292 fps = 59 ft-lbs KE
versus
420 grain @ 305 fps = 87 ft-lbs KE

The difference in KE is not much relative to other primitive hunting implements such as black powder rifles. They should be pointing out that they are not excessively powerful and thereby they are equivalent primitive hunting instruments.

I don't like promotions that make shows to point out the obvious. The arrow velocities are almost exactly the same so the drop should be almost exactly the same as well.

Realistically most crossbows are in the 315 to 350 fps range with a 420 grain arrow.

If you compared the arrow drop of a DS at 350 fps there would be an 11 drop between the two points of impact (comparing the vertical bow to the DS) at 40 yards. That would not be the equivalence that they are trying to promote.

· Registered
3,102 Posts
What we tried to show is two weapons, very close in performance that are what an average guy might shoot. Fact is, they shoot very close to the same. The compound is shooting slower, so one would think it would drop sooneer. Not the case. We didn't pick the top performers in either category or make it lopsided to get a huge difference. Just two weapons right in the middle.

"Most" crossbows are NOT shooting 315-350. Most are shooting about 300 or less. Only in the last couple of years havethey really been much over 300fps. There have been a LOT of crossbow sold and that are still in use that shoot 250-280 fps.

Randy

· Registered
419 Posts
I am not attacking your video, as I am sure that the video will be well received. I try take the analytical / devils advocate approach not to weaken but to make the next iteration better. I do apologize if I pee'd in your corn flakes.

{"Most" crossbows are NOT shooting 315-350. Most are shooting about 300 or less. Only in the last couple of years have they really been much over 300fps. There have been a LOT of crossbow sold and that are still in use that shoot 250-280 fps.}

I would agree with this with respect to stick xbows. But we aren't talking about stick xbows or stick vertical bows.

These are right around 290 to 300 but the compounds have shot over 300 for several years. I have a 9 year old Bear xbow that still shoots 303 fps.

Several companies have entire product lines that average more than 300 and well into the 325 range.
For example: Bowtech since you used their vertical bow: average 375 fps between their two models (350&405 actual measured not marketing).
The number two manufacturer averages 323 including everything except youth models (265, 285, 340, 350, 378 actual compounds measured not marketing).

In today's market speed is king.
A prominent large manufacturer sells xbows that shoot less than 300 fps doesn't even advertise their speeds in their catalog. If one looks at the bows at the last ATA show... Actually this has given me an excellent idea ... sorry back to the point.

{There have been a LOT of crossbow sold and that are still in use that shoot 250-280 fps.}

If someone averaged all xbows speeds made in the last 10 years then I would agree with your statement entirely. If the intention of the video was to include all crossbows that may be in the field I completely and honestly apologize and rescind my argument.

When I looked at the video I saw two examples of very late model premium bows and inferred that you were talking about modern bows exclusively.

· Registered
10,694 Posts
I would not even consider a Crossbow as slow as the one in the video. :thumbs_do
Everyone knows what point the video is trying to achieve.
Let's have a Stryker vs Compound comparison. :)
The superior speed and flatter trajectory is what draws the crossbow to most hunters.
Even disabled hunters prefer an obvious advantage !

· Banned
24,198 Posts
Randy

Your video is both logical and accurate. Sag says he would not consider a crossbow shooting as slow as 305 fps. There will always be those that are not satisfied with the norm. There are also those that would buy a 350 fps PSE vertcial compound bow just because they can boast that their bow is the fastest BUT they are quite a minority. Yes, you could have compared a Phantom with 350 fps vertical compound but they are NOT the average crossbows and compound vertical bows used by the majority of bowhunters and if you did you would likely get virtually the same results. Unfortunately, the anti-crossbow clan already knows that the performance levels of the two are quite similar but they don't want to hear it or admit it. You can lead a horse to the trough but............................:rolleyes: Keep up the good work:)

· Registered
3,102 Posts
I am not attacking your video, as I am sure that the video will be well received. I try take the analytical / devils advocate approach not to weaken but to make the next iteration better. I do apologize if I pee'd in your corn flakes.

When I looked at the video I saw two examples of very late model premium bows and inferred that you were talking about modern bows exclusively.
Stored, you did not pee in my flakes. Sorry if it came off that way. I was just trying to clarify what the purpose of the video was. We used modern version in the midddle of our line for just that purpose, the avaerage guy.

Randy

· Registered
3,102 Posts
I would not even consider a Crossbow as slow as the one in the video. :thumbs_do
Let's have a Stryker vs Compound comparison. :)
The superior speed and flatter trajectory is what draws the crossbow to most hunters.
Even disabled hunters prefer an obvious advantage !
Sag,
Buy what ever crossbow you want for whatever reason. Same can be done for a compound. Most crossbows made are still shooting UNDER 350. If you took an average of the bows out there in the woods, I would bet your average is under 300fps. There are a boatload of Titans at 280 and HUGE numbers of Horton Supermag/Yukon/Summit crossbows out there shooting 260fps.
I think the average hunter looks for something that will work in the field and in his budget. Are there spped freaks out there? Certainly. The djisabled hunter is way more concerend about a bow that he can carry and cock then how fast it goes. That you can take to the bank!

Randy

· Banned
11,679 Posts
My first xbow was in the low 300 or lower. 10 xbows later I'm shooting the Stryker. It's very flat 0-30. After that it drops. Since 405 fps isn't fast enough to get past string jump it's still limited on deer. Other not as jumpy animals you might get longer ranges. Of all the xbow hunters I know their average speed is in the very low 300.

Since most deer are shot at under 20 yds it's pretty much a moot subject. And there are a number of "I'm shooting 0-30 one pin" posts on here.

Bottom line is can a xbow perform better than a compound? Sure. Is it of any advantage in deer hunting? 99% of the time no. Longest deer taken with my compound was 40 yds. Longest xbow 30 yds. So when does all this advantage help me? I'm still waiting for that 1% hunt to happen.

And while we're throwing out the top gun xbow how about those Speedmax or whatever they're called arrows and the HHC compound that was shooting in the 400 range? Each side has it's top gun setup but when you compare the average setup sold and used by each side they're equal.

· Registered
593 Posts
just to be a smart-ass, that guy in the vid wasnt using a bowtech guardian, it looks like an allegiance:darkbeer:

· Registered
1,336 Posts
Am most thankful for the ease of which I use my GTcurve,have added
the acua draw and for relief for my shoulder,we were varmit hunting
last week and my bow at 290fps was killin them as good as my partners
Parker,guess my point is to each his own,speed,etc.!:)

· Registered
17 Posts
New member here. I bought a Stryker because I can't shoot guns anymore and can't pull and hold a vertical bow any longer. Only one deer did I ever shoot at over 60 yards. Just the terrain I hunt in and can't hike off the forrest service roads far. My Stryker will down any deer I've shot in the past except that one.

· Registered
1,989 Posts
I don't even own a crossbow yet but I will be looking at speed as one of the deciding factors. As always, the closer you get to your prey the better, and success comes from "the way you use the equipment you have" rather than from "the equipment you have". I still feel better with some decent speed, and I'm sure I'm not alone. It's true; speed is a selling point.

· Registered
262 Posts
is it a factor that the longer arrow will not drop as fast ? I think so but cannot find the source to quote it ...
seems to make sense, though..
I would hope that it shows that the compound is a little flatter shooting and thus the myth of the great advantage of x bows is : MYTH.
DK

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.