Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those of you NOT in OHIO that ALSO didnt know this.

Mike Beatty is Ohio arrowed this deer 2001, and just got Crowned New World Record Non-Typical. The Beatty buck measured 294 0/8.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Hunting/deer/beattyaward.htm

Hope this isnt old new to all of you. I hadn't seen this pic yet...

It's close to season anyway, so look again, even if you have seen it..give you something to "shoot" for. :wink:

Attachments

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
Granted this is old news, but it's always nice to see that BEAST of an animal.

Regardless, he deserved this honor years ago, it's about time.

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
As mentioned, old news... but it's always neat to see pics of Mikes incredible buck!!! What an animal. I don't think a lot of folks realize that he lost 10" by P&Y's scoring compared to B&C's??? P&Y is becoming infamous for it's "judgement calls" in recent years??? Also relaize this is the first Whitetail to be awarded the prestigious Ishi Award in 40 years..... awesome!!! :eek: :thumbs_up :cool:

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
I hate to do this, but my brother in law is a traveling Christian minister. A few months back he was preaching at a church in Ohio and was fortunate enough to meet Mike's family. If I am not mistaken, I believe Mike's dad was the pastor at the church.

At any rate, it was funny listening to my brother in law describe it to me cause he doesn't hunt but knows I love it. He told me in exact words:

"The pastor at the church I was just at in Ohio has a son who is addicted to archery like you. In fact, he killed a buck and apparently it was so big that it may be the Pope's New Record or something".

If I would have been drinking anything at the time he would have been wearing it lol

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
An Award given a couple years too late. I understand that the P&Y have standards, but as bows get more modern, the standards need to become more modern. I also think they need a specific "Traditional" category, to recognize those guys who stick 'em with a "Stickbow" or Recurve. Congrats to Mike on an amazing buck!!!
:thumbs_up

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
That's one reason I started going to Ohio in Nov .. where I hunt I did see a buck with 5 drop tines on one side only the day after I had shot my 12 point .I just hope he is still there and it was on public land too ...

·
Registered
492 Posts
We had him and his deer down here at the Rarden Whitetail Festival, last year.
My jaw dropped, and my eyes hit the floor. An absolute monster.
A buddy and I was hunting on some private land the year that he shot it, and got stopped by the ODNR while walking back to our trucks. One of the nicest guys I've ever met, anywase we started talking about all of the big deer that was being killed around the area that year and he brought the beatty buck up. This was before all the news press came up, so we had no idea. He took us back over to his truck and showed us all the photos that he took of the deer, told us the story behind the shot and recovery. Just an all around nice guy.
Back to the original thread. Just an absolute giant.

·
Premium Member
2,213 Posts
Congratulations Mike if you are here on AT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations Mike if you are here on AT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Sweet!!!! Boy I drool everyime I see that deer!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shade: :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts