Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey New Yorkers, I was up to my family farm in Delaware County doing some scouting and saw no active buck sign, also checked out some public ground and same thing, did find lots of acorn which down here in southern pa is scarce this year, and also found lots of bear droppings, saw a bunch of turkeys too, just wondering if anyone has been out scouting yet and what your finds have been.

· Registered
14,406 Posts
I am finding some good rub lines here in Dutchess. What I am finding strange is the fact that I didnt see good mature groups of bucks this summer anywhere?

Unfortunately that is pretty normal for Columbia and Dutchess. Moreso Columbia, and you are in the best part of the county btw. I saw my first 3.5 last night and I've been glassing at dusk over the last few weeks. I have easily glassed over 200 different bucks in my different areas. There isn't the kind of habitat here that can hide bucks from all of the gun hunting pressure during the rut. That will only change when NY changes its management to reduce the buck take.

That said, while glassing I have seen bucks fighting, scraping and rubbing all within the last week.

· Registered
3,527 Posts
Seen this one the other day......

We actually had a woman call up the Highway Deptment asking about this kind of sign.When told it was a deer crossing sign she freaked out.NOW get this because the sign was in front of her house and she didn't want the deer crossing her lawn.Yea we call them Cityits

· Registered
3,871 Posts
I hunt northern Livingston County, and I am seeing ALL kinds of activity. I have two lots separated by a 15 yard gas line clearing, with both lots between 8-9 acres each. As of last weekend, I have 28 scrapes with many lines that have 3 or 4 scrapes within 40 yards.

Not seeing a ton of mature (3.5+) bucks, but have 3 that are shooters. They usually start showing up about now off border properties. I think the 8 game cams I have out on the property have documented 35 or so different bucks since August 1st.

I did notice the velvet seemed to come off a little late, and it was all in one very short span (2 days). Normally its a week earlier than when it occurred, and is spread out over 4-5 days.

So, hurry up season already!

· Registered
269 Posts
I hung two stands this weekend and I saw four or five fresh rubs and a couple of scrapes.Last weekend I saw a few rubs and a couple of scrapes.They are definitely rubbing and scrapeing,likely more so in area's that multiple bucks are using.

· Registered
815 Posts
I'll be hunting a saddle up on a ridge in Putnam County where I found a good rub line and some scrapes, also good mast acorn and hickory nuts.

· Banned
3,149 Posts
you mean i got to drive upstate now?? You guys are getting me all excited!!!
Why drive upstate when you can hunt Long Island? I don't even hunt my property in the Catskills anymore - I just concentrate on Westchester and Greenwich.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.