1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Activists out to can hunt

By AMY SACKS
DAILY NEWS WRITER

They lost an ambitious battle, but animal activists said they will keep waging war until New York State outlaws the pay-for-kill sport known as canned hunting.
In late August, Gov. Pataki rocked the humane community by vetoing a bill that would have banned trophy hunters from shooting or spearing non-native animals in fenced-in areas, where they have no chance to escape.

In June, the bill passed the Assembly and state Senate by a 2-to-1 majority.

"We were trying to stop one of the most outrageous abuses that many hunters even agree is outside the bounds of legislation," said Wayne Pacelle, a senior vice president of the Humane Society of the United States.

A week after he vetoed the bill, the governor proposed an amendment that would require owners of such facilities to buy a license. Heidi Prentiss, national director of the Fund for Animals, said Pataki's veto will do nothing but put a stamp of approval on a practice that the public wants banned.

Canned hunts in New York are already illegal when the animals are contained in a penned-in area of 10 acres or less. But the state has 110 shooting preserves that cover more territory.

At the 300-acre Creekside Trophy Ranch in Chautauqua County, hunters armed with guns and bows and arrows take aim at the exotic animals and native white-tail deer that roam free in the enclosed hunting area. A hunter who bags a Russian boar will pay $475, and up to $6,000 to procure elk, said Tania Smith, who runs the family business with her husband, Peter.

As on most commercial canned hunting grounds, patrons at Creekside don't have to ante up if they fail to score a prize. But for most shooters at commercial hunting grounds, a kill is virtually guaranteed. Pacelle said the animals, hand-fed for most of their lives, are used to a nonthreatening human presence, making the killing within fenced enclosures even easier.

"As wild animals would quickly run from human noises, these animals just stay put," he said.

While the Smiths buy animals only from New York farmers who raise exotic animals, experts say animals at many commercial grounds may be bred at the facility or purchased from exotic-animal dealers or roadside zoos.

'Not just to shoot'

Smith said that in addition to shuttering her business, the law would bankrupt the state's 340 deer and elk farms, hurt local feed farms and decimate tourism.

"We provide a safe environment for people who want to hunt," she said. "Everyone comes to harvest an animal to eat. It's not just to shoot an animal."

"For those of us who depend on selling meat - that's it, we're done," she added.

Animal groups say that's no excuse. "We limit economic opportunity by closing dogfighting and cockfighting pits," Pacelle said. "There are all sorts of things one can do to make money. But it's not the measure of the worthiness of commercial activity."

Even many hunters believe canned hunting violates the ethics of sportsmanship and fair chase. A recent survey of readers of Field & Stream magazine found that 65% of respondents oppose hunting animals in enclosed spaces.

Assemblyman Scott Stringer (D-Manhattan), who co-sponsored the bill, said Pataki should spend more time creating jobs upstate rather than using abhorrent canned hunting facilities.

"We're going to come right back with the same bill and do it all over again," he said.

E-mail: [email protected]

Source: http://www.nydailynews.com/city_life/story/117032p-105548c.html

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Even the writer of this piece, Amy Sacks, reaks of anti sentiment. "Experts." Yeah, right. A spokesman for the Fund For Animals is an "expert" all right.

This doesn't bother anybody but me? C'mon, NY. Stand!

·
Banned
11,666 Posts
A few years ago we passed a right to hunt law. It was added in the VA. constitution. And FYI the headquaters for peta is right here in VA. If we can do it on their home turt it can be done anywhere. Organize and you'll defeat them. Go for the right to hunt and they can never challenge you again.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
They need to leave them chickens alone. They are for Kildog and Olddog48 bowhunting style and for me hunting with a spear naked. Yeahhhhh.

·
Registered
852 Posts
DT - The problem is NYC - it's residents outnumber the GOOD people in this state... Tell ya what: IF the day comes that they ever ban hunting, I'll just take up hunting liberal democrats and the ******ed anti-hunters that voted them in(just kidding - kinda) - then they'll wish they'd never screwed with my hunting rights... No doubt about the slant on the story - what they didn't mantion was that the language on that POS bill(downstate generated, BTW) was SO broad, that it would've affected ANY hunting on ANY farms... No doubt about it, there's an agenda at work there... I doubt that even if it passed, it would've held up in court - it was that poorly written... The scary part about it, was that it made it that far - no doubt about it, we've gotta keep on 'em if we want to preserve hunting rights for the future...

- georgestrings

·
Banned
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
georgestrings said:
DT - The problem is NYC - it's residents outnumber the GOOD people in this state... Tell ya what: IF the day comes that they ever ban hunting, I'll just take up hunting liberal democrats and the ******ed anti-hunters that voted them in(just kidding - kinda) - then they'll wish they'd never screwed with my hunting rights... No doubt about the slant on the story - what they didn't mantion was that the language on that POS bill(downstate generated, BTW) was SO broad, that it would've affected ANY hunting on ANY farms... No doubt about it, there's an agenda at work there... I doubt that even if it passed, it would've held up in court - it was that poorly written... The scary part about it, was that it made it that far - no doubt about it, we've gotta keep on 'em if we want to preserve hunting rights for the future...

- georgestrings
If only we could get cooperation from those in our ranks, our comrads, our brothers in arms, the antis wouldn't stand a chance getting this anti hunting legislation passed. Alas, there are cannibals...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am appauled. You mean you want to allow someone that purchased an animal, fed that animal, to kill it???? Oh NO! We can't have that. Tear down those fences and let the defenseless animals out. I hope everyone is detecting my sarcasm. I am laying on pretty thick.

I have seen fenced exotics. Trust me, hand fed and tame they are not.

Some on this board keep preaching about canned hunts. I gaurantee that they have not even visited one of these ranches much less hunted on one. That aren't tied up out their. If you don't think a deer can't hide on 300 acres and never be seen you are either extremely niave or a fool.

I am telling you this now. Left unchecked hunting will be gone in 15 years. Stand and fight or you will not have hunting for long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts