Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
IG @716WHITETAILS
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i guess some new yorkers still dont get it.......last year i was involved in a pretty good argument on another forum related to doe permits...and the fact that some hunters just dont read whats posted about the chances of recieving one for certain areas.....i felt it was the person not doing there homework...and othere felt it was the decs fault for not taking them by the hand and spoon feeding it...........well....now back to this year......i go in my local sporting goods store to get my license....3 gentlemen in front of me........odds for doe permits and there units are posted all over the place....and all 3 of them request permits in units that clearly say NONE available...as a second choice......my god......are they really that dumb...........makes us all look stupid........ok im done....thanks...........

·
Registered
190 Posts
Some NEVER will !

Second year in a row for most of the Catskill areas. All they have to do is check the web site. Maybe they think it is all a joke!

Like I said.......some will NEVER learn !:confused:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I just moved back to NY from Nebraska and I must say my place has a ton of Doe. I went in and got my permit after listening to everyone ***** about no doe tags and I asked the folks what they thought. My thoughts and the thing that keeps coming up is the fact of how many report the harvest.

Who calls in the kill and are the numbers correct that the DEC gets back? If the DEC gets 10-20% of real kills do they think numbers are down and they need to decrease doe tags???

Who knows...

What do other states do to report? In Nebraska you have to take the critter to a check in station and have a tag put on...can't have a deer w/out that tag...period...no mouting transporting anything...so everyone seems to check them in and the Gov't knows 80-90% of the kill numbers...

Makes sense to me.

-NerdHick

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yeah i know.....alli know is i counted out 47 does on opening day where i hunt.however my area is preferance point only.....it is too un-even throughout the county.... oh well

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
I remember lasy year went into Walmart to get my tag and the girl doing the tags told me a guy before me wanted a tag in one of the units and she told him there were none being given and it was right on the sheet! She was fed up with him,lol. I had no problem and got my tag this year 9N, but then I do read,lol

·
Registered
685 Posts
I hunt primarily 7H and 7F and ALWAYS read that little sheet that the DEC sends out to previous permit holders stating the chances in each unit, thats how I got my 2 permits this year.....

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Cutter......

I don't care if they all do that kind of stupid stuff. I got my license AND doe permit in 5 minutes on the phone from my desk during lunch. With the new computerized system you don't have to leave your living room.
Last year I got 2 permits for the same WMU on the phone. Internet is even faster.

·
IG @716WHITETAILS
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joe W. said:
I don't care if they all do that kind of stupid stuff. I got my license AND doe permit in 5 minutes on the phone from my desk during lunch. With the new computerized system you don't have to leave your living room.
Last year I got 2 permits for the same WMU on the phone. Internet is even faster.

its not really that i care that the other hunters didnt read....its more of the fact that some people last year tried to blame the dec.....when thats far from where the blame lays...imo..it lies solely with the individual

also....yes there needs to be something else done about how the dec comes up with allotment numbers but thats not what im disscussing here....

thanks.....

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
There is a lot screwed up about the way the NY herd is (mis)managed. You are right.....a lot of it is not the DEC's fault. "If it's brown it's down" mentality prevails...at least in downstate NY and then guys wonder why they hunt for years and never see a truly mature buck.

NY'ers are not exactly famous for patience......or taking the time to learn the rules before playing the game.

(sorry if I got off your topic......not intentional)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I apply for either 4a or 6r depending on my mood for the year I live right on the border between the two areas so getting either is a plus. I went to get the permit the other day and the lady says the odds of you being drawn for either with only one preference point are about 10 percent she says. I told her I knew that and if I didnt receive one I would get the points no bug deal. Well I drew one how I did it I will never know but I did for 6r I almost peed my pants when she said I got it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts