Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize for this being a newb question, however it's somewhat vital information so money doesn't essentially get wasted.

Last February my brother ended up getting an old Browning compound bow from a flee market or something like that, he found it for $15 bucks so he bought it, and I can't say I blame him. It's in need of some love, and has posed a few issues since the time he bought it. It's in need of getting restrung, the draw length is at 31"-32" and he pulls a 27" (66" arm span correct me if I'm wrong please) It's also in need of updated accessories.

Well, for Christmas my dad is actually looking at getting the bow set up for my brother. However the informational sticker on the lower limb is indicating that it can only be adjusted between 28"-32" draw lengths

20171228_115059.jpg

My question is, is 28" the minimum is can go or could a shop get it down to 27" inches for my brother.

The Primary goal is to try and get this bow functional and safe for my brother to use. But I do not know so any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
The problem with buying old bows is if you don't know your draw length or draw weight you can pull, more times than not you just wasted your money. Reason being that is doubtful you will find the parts you need to make it fit you that's assuming it still in good enough shape (safe) to shoot. Secondly assuming you were lucky enough to find parts many times is not worth the cost to "fix" the bow.

Answering your question more directly no the bow shop won't be able to adjust the bow to fit your brother. The positive side is he only spent $15 for a nice walk hanger.

If your brother wants a bow he would be better served to go to an archery shop and get fitted for a bow with the right draw length and draw weight along with the right arrow. If buying new is out of the question than buy a 5 year old bow or newer from the classifieds here on AT with large range of adjustable draw length ( rotating modules) and draw weight from Diamond, PSE, Mission, Bowtech, or Bear. Example Bear cruzer, Diamond infinite edge, PSE stinger and many other bows.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
I'm guessing from our post and referencing your brother's wingspan that you used some sort of formula to get hs draw length? Those formulas are just ballpark, and for some it's not even close to being the right ballpark. He needs to go in and be measured if he hasn't done so before.

As for fixing up the old bow, probably not worth it, especially if it won't adjust to his draw length and weight. You could expect to pay up to $150 to have new strings/cables installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem with buying old bows is if you don't know your draw length or draw weight you can pull, more times than not you just wasted your money. Reason being that is doubtful you will find the parts you need to make it fit you that's assuming it still in good enough shape (safe) to shoot. Secondly assuming you were lucky enough to find parts many times is not worth the cost to "fix" the bow.

Answering your question more directly no the bow shop won't be able to adjust the bow to fit your brother. The positive side is he only spent $15 for a nice walk hanger.

If your brother wants a bow he would be better served to go to an archery shop and get fitted for a bow with the right draw length and draw weight along with the right arrow. If buying new is out of the question than buy a 5 year old bow or newer from the classifieds here on AT with large range of adjustable draw length ( rotating modules) and draw weight from Diamond, PSE, Mission, Bowtech, or Bear. Example Bear cruzer, Diamond infinite edge, PSE stinger and many other bows.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
I actually was expecting this, I mean defensively the riser, limbs, and cams, are in excellent condition. However knowing the condition of the string, and roughly guessing the bow is about 20 years old possibly older it just seems like more money would go into getting the bow get back into good shape would cost a good amount, then having to take into consideration he (my dad) to get him new sights, stabilizer, whisker biscuit, case, a dozen arrows plus tips, the works. I have figured I could go browse a couple pawn shops I know and pick up a 2015-16 possibly 17 models for a couple hundred bucks that is lightly used especially this time of the year. For about the same price If not I knowing my brother, the primary use of the bow will be recreational target shooting a few times a year so he might even be content with a recurve.

I'm guessing from our post and referencing your brother's wingspan that you used some sort of formula to get hs draw length? Those formulas are just ballpark, and for some it's not even close to being the right ballpark. He needs to go in and be measured if he hasn't done so before.

As for fixing up the old bow, probably not worth it, especially if it won't adjust to his draw length and weight. You could expect to pay up to $150 to have new strings/cables installed.
Yes I was referring to his arm span, and I did the what I have always been told or at least for the last 5 years the Armspan /2.5= draw length I have also had him pull back on my hoyt that's got a 28" and it seemed too long, so ball parking he will need about a 27.

·
Vendor
25,146 Posts

^^^^^ this pretty much nailed it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts