This is the build:

S40 Camera with 4 wire fast hack
Case otterbox 3000.
yeti control board
External c batteries
HPWA fresnel
Pipe through

I have a few questions.

When you buy the yeti board, do you get the “YetiCam Control Board Power Cable” or the “9 Volt battery holder with internal switch” or nothing at all?

Is the wide angle Fresnel lens from yeti not as good as the one sold by snapshot sniper?

What size standoffs do you use?

Who do you buy your wire from, for the camera hack (30 gauge)?

What size of plastic/metal pipe do you prefer for security?

Is there a place to buy bulk 1.25” lenses?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

·
Get Out
1,046 Posts
This is the build:

Case otterbox 3000.
yeti control board
External c batteries
HPWA fresnel
Pipe through

I have a few questions.

When you buy the yeti board, do you get the “YetiCam Control Board Power Cable” or the “9 Volt battery holder with internal switch” or nothing at all?

Is the wide angle Fresnel lens from yeti not as good as the one sold by snapshot sniper?

Is there a place to buy bulk 1.25” lenses?

Thanks for your help,

Mike
Ok Mike, no expert myself, but here are my answers.

I get the power cable, but not the 9v holder with switch. That holder is a little large for me, I prefer to wire a 9v plug directly to the power cable and just unplug it to turn off. Radio Crap sells a small metal clip 9v holder that I use just to keep the battery from moving around.

The .9 wide angle fresnel and the High Performance Wide Angle fresnel both work great. What you use depends a lot on your setup, camera, type of use, and individual preference. The HPWA triggers quickly because of its curved lens, but lately I have been building cams with the .9 fresnel because it is flat on the camera and bears can't bite it off. Can't go wrong either way.

Standoff size will depend on the fresnel used. Ask supplier when you are getting your board / fresnel.

Normally I get a 5 wire servo and use that for the hack. (you would need a 6 wire)

PA Trail Cams has a good selection of glass.

Good luck, hope this helps.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
23,689 Posts
This is the build:

Case otterbox 3000.
yeti control board
External c batteries
HPWA fresnel
Pipe through

I have a few questions.

This is up to you - if you decide to go with the HPWA from Snapshot (which I would recommend) than you skip the power cable as there won't be enough room under the board for the connector - it can be moved to the top-side of the board, but it isn't something that a first time builder should trouble themselves with. Get a standard 9-volt holder (I prefer those with the on-board switch). If you go with the HPWA remember to order the correct board which would most likely be the Sony DSC-S40 FAST(requires lens mod)(HPWA (1/4"High PIR, Horiz, Back Mount

This is sort of the Mathews vs. Hoyt debate -I prefer the HPWA from Snapshot, especially wit an s40 - be sure to pull the foam ring out too - it really does help wih the s40....

If you go with the HPWA from Snapshot - you will need 1/2" standoff's

This is a GREAt source for 30AWG STRANDED wire - do yourself a favor and steer away from any solid-core wire - headached galore...http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Zen/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=29_25

Deoends on the case - go as big as you can - I prefer those that support the 3/8" Pythons - give Joe a look at....http://jjkscf.webs.com/
or you can alwasy get them at WTS - http://www.whitetailsupply.com/WS-PIR-Board.html
I will say Joe's service is VERY prompt[/B

]Is there a place to buy bulk 1.25” lenses?
I support Chris whenever I can ....http://hagshousestore.com/cases.html

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Hope this helps - if you need anything at all from advice to a complete custom KIT just reach out via the PM - I'd be glad to help anyway that I can.....

Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts